Recording a new song. Initial feedback isn't great

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'll admit, it's a little on the weird side. But, the way I write songs, is that most of the time, they come out the way they come out.

Friend #1, with whom I've played blues/R&B stuff for > 30 years, when asked what he really thought of it, opened his mouth momentarily and said, and I am not kidding: "".

Friend #2, with whom I played in a band about 40 years ago, and has played all sorts of music from Prince (tribute) to Prog, said "it scares me".

I'm basically done with it, and will put it on SoundCloud soon and share it here, but I'm not really looking forward to it ;)

ping-ping-clicka and Junior59 like this.
  2. Junior59

Junior59 TDPRI Member

Having the audacity to put it out, is what separates artists, from people who want to be artists. I say “lean into it”.

bcorig, Churchjack, NBS2005 and 6 others like this.
  3. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Nevermind, it's a craft as any other and it needs to be honed. Last year I've started homerecording and it's a great fun and I find myself coming back to ideas I've dismissed and putting aside those I liked at first. It's a process and often I think how Goethe said that there's magic in every attempt of creation.

4. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I bet all the old musicians were scared / confused when Chuck Berry first hit the scene.

I've recorded some weird stuff in my time. My philosophy is "as long as I'm happy with it, who cares what others think".

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

there's nothing WRONG....with your Marilyn Manson/Diamonda Galas side emerging from down in the Freudian basement.
    Honor the dark side, just don't rent a room there, it gets creepy after sundown, entertaining place to visit locals can be a real drag when it comes to respecting your boundaries.

6. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not everybody is gonna like all you put out. You just found 2 in a row. do these guys write? You thought it was good enough to be heard, so put it out there, and then the next one. I've had songs, I felt best about that did not go over anything like I thought. Then others I thought, let me just finish up and move on. They ended up goetting the most positive feed back. Lets hear it.

Skully, Junior59 and catdaddy like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Songwriting is a numbers game.

Investment bankers know that when they put money in ten different startup companies, five will fail, three will break even, one will make some money, and the last one makes a lot of money. They hope and it sometimes happens where the tenth one becomes Google/Amazon/Ebay/etc. Songs are the same way.

Keep writing in the garden and do the weeding later.

8. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Here's a comment about a song I wrote and recorded some years ago: "Wispy, gauzy, psychotropic delusions of grandeur put to something vaguely resembling music." Everybody's a critic, but without artists they'd wander aimlessly in a sterile, silent wilderness. So, overwhelm them with your courage and creativity, and for gawd's sake don't let the buttheads get you down.

9. Digital Larry

Thanks for the supportive remarks. I sense this is gonna turn into something like the Seinfeld "ugly baby" episode but so be it.

I sent a much more palatable riff to friend #1, who is a great guitarist and singer, but has not written a lot of songs to my knowledge. I said "make up some words and add a couple chords". He said, "I'm off to a month long songwriting workshop down on the coast". I hope we can pull something original together so I can publish it for public consumption.

Friend #2 is a very talented sax player and AFAIK has written a few tunes along the way. I would like to get him to play on some of my tunes as well, but there are others in progress that are nowhere near as weird, so I'll try those instead. If he's going to offer to do it for free (which he did) then I guess I'll take what I can get.

In general I like creative collaboration because in the past, things have resulted that I probably would not have come up with on my own. At the same time I like to push the boundaries a little in terms of subject matter or musical forms. I'm not a virtuoso on anything, which is just as well.

Stay tuned!

Junior59 likes this.
  10. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Larry....here's my take....I haven't heard the song.

I've been writing songs since the mid 70's.
    I'm pleased with the songs I've finished up and recorded....about 35 originals.
    I would describe my songs as light rock with uncomplicated music and coherent/well understood lyrics but I know they will likely never appeal to the masses for one reason or another.
    I don't write for the masses....it's just creative therapy for me.
    If I can keep from pegging the "you totally suck" meter I'm OK with that.
    Should a listener comment favorably...that's frosty on the cake of our creativity.

Song writing is a very personal endeavor and as I've stated several times before "one must have the skin of a snow tire" if one is going to put their song writing efforts up for the public to comment on or scrutinize.
    We must take the bitter and the sweet from listeners.
    Personally, I'd much prefer unabridged honesty if I put a song up for others to comment on than any patronizing.
    If others say "your song sucks chulaivet"....well...I have to accept that I missed the chance of any popular/peer appeal for this one.
    We're all adults here and everyone's opinion, in this context, is valid for them to express.

If one is writing songs that are perceived as fringe interest or genre, comedy, quirky or "weird" then the responses could be less than complimentary from most listeners.
    I'm very careful regarding commenting on others songs and don't do it much anymore.
    I will only comment if I think the song is truly well written and recorded....and I may offer some recording/mix thoughts.
    If I perceive a song is weird/quirky//fringe/political ranting or another vapid love song about love lost and forlorn melodies it's has no interest or appeal to me and I would not comment.

In the end....I'd say just keep writing Larry and don't put too much emphasis on the comments you've gotten on your current one.
    There's always room for improvement in our song writing efforts.
    It's our "creative therapy"....it's what we do.

Hope that helps a bit from my 72 year old perspective. :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  11. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, now we HAVE to hear it! C'mon man

12. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ah, but do YOU like it, and are you satisfied with it.

13. Digital Larry

I think it's OK. It followed me home honest! Actually it's what became of this:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/salt-sugar-and-grease.979466/

I used a riff I wrote 30 years ago and finally harmonized it a year or two ago. The other two parts sort of grew in place. Give me a few more days because once I push it to SoundCloud I won't want to touch it again.

It's the first original song I've taken to completion since I got Ableton Live and Push 2 controller working.

Junior59 likes this.
  14. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

That
    should be a rewarding feeling of accomplishment for you regardless of anyone's public opinion.
    If I see you've posted a recording of it on S/C I'll give a listen.

At the moment I'm mixing my latest called Adrenaline....I know, who in the their right mind would write a song about a hormone!
    I try to write about many subjects as I maintain my status as a song writing bottom feeder.

The weekend is upon us....a good one to all.

Junior59 and Digital Larry like this.
  15. scook

scook TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-HST

Own it and don’t shy away from it. Almost everything that now is considered classic was once thought of as lewd, weird, etc.

Junior59 and Digital Larry like this.
  16. Digital Larry

OK then, well here it is! The story's all on the SoundClick page. Warning: this might be considered a novelty song.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Okay, now I absolutely have to hear it! If it's weird enough I might like it.
    [EDIT: I just now saw that you posted it. I'm listening to it.]

18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Oddly relevant for a decades old tune:

19. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Dude that was not bad, It was very Zappa. I liked it!

20. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I gave it a listen over on SC. Zappaish for sure.Gave it a 'LIKE'.

Digital Larry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.