Recording a dobro

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by suthol, Oct 13, 2019.

1. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

In a couple of weeks time I will be recording a dobro part for one of our songs played by one of Australia's most respected vetran steel / dobro players Kenny Kitching ( https://musicminder.com.au/kenny-kitching/ )

It goes without saying that I want to make sure I do as a good a job capturing his performance as he does playing

Choice of mics are Shure SM58, Senheisser MD421 and an Audiotechics something or other ( quite a warm mic that suits the female voice ), also got a no name SDC that is extremely clean

RodeoTex likes this.
  2. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

Well that recording was awesome.

3. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Indeed, helped by the fact that I had absolutely nothing to do with it :lol:

Just put the clip and his bio up to give an idea of the royalty that I will be recording.

4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I'd prefer my Dobro to be recorded with the Senheisser MD421, before the Shure SM58.
    ... you'd need to be more specific about the Audotechnica mic to rule in or out.

what's it going to be?
    spider bridge or biscuit, metal or wood, what's the room or environment?

any mic will capture the playing pretty good but the sweet spot can only be found by good ears, I believe.

Tonetele likes this.
  5. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I have no idea what the Reso will be, given the amount of session work Kenny has done over the past 60 years or so he may well lead the conversation

RodeoTex likes this.
  6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

A buddy of mine has a great old Dobro, with a steel body and biscuit bridge- but most times, when people think Dobro, they're thinking of a wooden bodied instrument with a spider bridge. That should be your starting point, I reckon.
    Speak to Kenny, if you can and ask him what he's going to use/how he likes it recorded. Failing that- take every mic you've got and see which one sounds best!

;):cool::)

(I've always used a 57, for amplifying and recording Resonator guitars but I'm no expert- it's just what I've got. :lol:)

suthol likes this.
  7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I am a bit of a home recording hack. I own a Gretsch Honey Dripper resonator guitar with a singe cone and biscuit bridge. I have been using a pencil style AKG P170 condenser mic. I tend to like the tone very near the centre line of the cone. Mic straight in front. I find that off to the side or angled, to me loses some of the bright tone of a resonator. Use your ears, move the mic around and choose the spot your ears like best.

Alamo likes this.
  8. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

So I asked Bob to find out a bit about the Dobro Kenny will be playing.

"He only plays the old one"

Not a lot of help right there, I'm going to borrow a few more mic options but it would be nice to have an idea of where to start.

Based on comments above I'll probably start with the 421 around 20" off between the cone and whatever sound hole there is and maybe a bright SDC as a room mic set further off and compare the result

Alamo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.