Record restoration

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, May 20, 2020.

1. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Ok all, got a job to do and could use some help.

I am up here in Philly with my brother and we have my father’s old demo record with us from ‘57. We are looking to get it into digital format but are having a hell of a time restoring it to listening quality.

Overall, I don’t think the record looks too bad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We were able to extract the audio using a friends record player into a laptop. We then used an audio editor to try and remove the pops and clicks. Here is the best we can do:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HImgJ4sDID_FOZql9X31Z8eX3KU7BGb1/view?usp=drivesdk

Any suggestions on how we can clean up the audio?

Thanks!

dented likes this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Send it to a professional.

You don't want to play it too many times, as it may be a short run acetate made at a local record store or the like. These were for demo purposes, and they degrade with each play. Businesses who who offered such a service used to be commonplace. They'd come with generic labels like that.

There are experts who salvage and restore old recordings. Go to one of them if you really care about it. But definitely stop playing it until you get it very nicely digitized, especially if it is your only copy.

A restorer is going to clean the original up as much as he/she can, using a variety of techniques (some of which I know and some of which are tricks of the trade), and then rip it to digital using the ideal turntable, needle, etc. Then he/she will digitally clean it up.

dogmeat and cyclopean like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.