Reconsidering Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 12, 2016.

1. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I learned to play bass on this very record!!! :D Right on. The Lemon Song, What Is And What Should Never Be, etc. excellent tutorial on advanced rock bass. And IIRC there were some pretty good guitar riffs too ;)

MickM likes this.
  2. SolidSteak

I really dig Them Crooked Vultures, and IMO Jones still seems like a young-looking hip rock star compared to Page and Plant FWIW. He's doing well!

MickM likes this.
  3. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Everyone wants to live in the penthouse, but the basement doesn't get much notice.

That being said, the glamorous penthouse in the sky couldn't exist without a strong foundation.

Yes, John Jones "did a bunch of things behind the scenes", things that were very important to the overall sound, but I was talking about what he did on stage as well as what he did in the studio.

6stringcowboy likes this.
  4. SolidSteak

Oh - I've never seen him on stage before; the clips I see are always of Plant and Page :D

I agree about having a strong foundation though, especially the rhythm section. I think the same thing applies to lots of bands.

5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I don't mean to tag team you in attack BUT.....

I think you'll find that Led Zep is Jimmy's "Baby"...as such without his baby he didn't really move on from it and try to do too much other stuff. I'm not sure if you did intentionally or not but to me the implication in this comment is that without them he was incapable of coming up with anything good.

I seriously doubt that to be the case and more a case of not wanting to without his favourite or hand picked "team" so to speak....and they were hand picked by him, make no mistake.

In regards to the lyrics, admittedly I am a fan boy but I don't get the rubbishing of the. Very few bands with a catalogue as large as LZ's have songs that don't have semi non sensical lyrics or lyrics influenced by things of the period...

Fantasy and Lord of the Rings were huge at the time and particularly in England really resonated with a lot of people. I wasn't born at the time and am in New Zealand so couldn't get further away but as a fan of Lord of the RIngs I can see what the songs are about and to this day enjoy them for the association.

I think the lyrics are a personal taste thing and not a fact, like once again is trying to be semi established in this thread.

6. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Physical Graffiti is such a great album. The album for guys like me who were tired long time fans. Down by the seaside ... Bam.

kookaburra and Colo Springs E like this.
  7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Ummmm, except for the Firm, Page/ Coverdale, and a solo attempt, soundtracks for movies, touring with Black Crowes....seems to me he moved on from it and did other stuff more so than any other member.
    It all fell flat.

8. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Yeah, me too. Have been for 45 years or so. But I really did love that first album. They took blues rock to a different level in the day.

9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Zeppelin 'might' have been great if it were not for the awful, high-pitched screeching from Mr. Plant that passed for singing. If I could only buy a 'no vocals' mix of their albums.

craigh9 likes this.
  10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

LOL

I could listen to it in an audiophile's music room with those gorgeous old tube amplifiers and other analog gear and it would change the lyrics or Plant's voice. Again, his voice served their earlier music well but it's the sum of the whole. Love most of everything up to IV but only bits afterwards (like Ten Years Gone). I love the riffs. They are indeed classic.
    Again, I am not trashing them as great band. I'm just saying that I've reevaluated my interest and appreciation.

11. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Physical Graffiti (Zep's Exile on Main Street), is a classic double album. Definitely in my top 3.

I often forget how great an acoustic player Page is. There's some tasteful acoustic numbers on PG; Bron-Yr-Aur, Black Country Woman.

And of course side 2 of Zep III is brilliant.

kookaburra and MickM like this.
  12. craigh9

craigh9 Tele-Meister

John Paul Jones: overall great musician
    Jimmy Page: was one of the great rhythm guitarists. Kind of a sloppy soloist. Never met a riff he didn't like or steal. LOL. Seriously, he did come up with some great riffs.
    Bonzo: a great groove drummer. Was great within the context of the band. Should never have been allowed to solo.
    Plant: one of the more annoying vocalist ever. He's much better now sonce he can't screech anymore.
    Bottom line: a good band. Not one of the great bands.

13. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Zeppelin was Page's band. I remember a quote where Plant said as much. Page wrote the music, no small feat. Page would have eventually kept going with it if Plant was interested. Plant is great in his own right, and moved on. I like Zeppelin second only to Hendrix. But I know blues cats who would not give them the time of day. So whether or not they were great is subjective. What is not subjective is the number of albums and tickets they sold, and the influence they had/have. Some sources say they sold 200 million albums, some say over 300 million albums.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  14. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

I disagree. JPJ wrote or co-wrote about 75% of their tunes. Just because he played bass & wasn't as "flashy" as page & Plant doesn't mean his contribution to their sound wasn't hugely significant.

15. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

Like the OP, I've have had a change of heart. Literally. And the things of earth shall grow strangely dim.
    There's no doubt the first two Zeppelin albums are engrained in my musical DNA, but I don't want to spend time on it anymore.

black_doug likes this.
  16. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

You never know. I had a neighbor (with a less-than-audiophile-grade stereo system) that liked the Beatles' "The Girl With Colitis Goes By"...

Sometimes, a better stereo really can change the lyrics...

P Thought likes this.
  17. NardeeMacPennis

NardeeMacPennis Tele-Meister

Their best album was Presence..IMO. Fewest amounts of vocal and guitar layering, raw energy and the band minus Plant to a minor extent were at their best.

In case some may not know.. some of The Song Remains The Same "live scenes" were actually filmed in a studio. My brother-in-law worked on the set. If you look close enough at the audience most except the nearest rows are blacked out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_Remains_the_Same_(film)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  18. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

I loved their first two albums which were very much based round a heavy blues feel. The further they moved away from this template the less I liked them. IMHO, the later albums were a steaming pile of pretentious prog twaddle. Ironically my favourite Plant album is the one he did with Alison Krauss!

19. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have no problem with Plant's voice, but can understand why some wouldn't like it. Some of the lyrics are dumb... others are pretty good actually in my opinion. The Stones and Zeppelin were far and away my two favorite bands growing up. I don't listen to either of them much any more, but generally enjoy them when they stream in (exceptions: the way overplayed stuff like Stairway, Satisfaction etc).

I agree it was the riffs that really made them, but don't forget that locked in rhythm section of John Henry Bonham and John Paul Jones--they were magical together.

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The Zepp-slaggers here should be more honest about it and just say "I've gotten too old to dig Led Zeppelin" :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.