Reconsidering Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 12, 2016.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I agree... they sound great and definitely look better than Page, Plant, Bonham and Jones.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I always thought it a pity that Zep wasn't recorded better. For three instruments, they had a huge sound, and it's a big regret that I never had a chance to see them live. I bet it was like listening to a tornado in the dark.

3. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

I never really listened to the lyrics, but I'm odd that way. I tend to hear vocals more in the way I'd hear an instrument, and generally don't care too much about the actual words.

Lots of talk about Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, and some comments about John Bonham, but I think John Jones is the one that made them.

Fiesta Red and John Nicholas like this.
  4. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Lep rules there music is timeless

5. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

My opinion is that LZ is and always have been an epic, timeless rock band who's interpretation of the blues and their oft imitated style makes them gods in the Valhalla of rock. I cut my teeth on LZ IV. Now that I've said that, I rarely put them on any of my listening devices, and when I do it's either Physical Graffiti or Presence.

kookaburra, SolidSteak, MickM and 2 others like this.
  6. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

I have to agree with the OP and I'm only slightly younger. Stairway. . . It just got played to death on the radio.

The only record I can still listen to is the second one, sometimes.

7. h_berder

h_berder TDPRI Member

Never saw them live. Never thought that music is weak if the lyrics are not that good. Never thought every note they played is perfect. I know how hard it is to listen heavily after the birth of the child. (except going to California?)
    But come on guys if you think that LZ is a "so so" band who we gonna call? Ghost Busters?

8. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Presence! Anyone who doubts Page's guitar skills should listen to Presence.

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Okay...you're joking, right?

Sadly, I'm guessing you're not...

I love when people say stuff like this.

I think John Paul Jones was and is a great musician, but those types of statements are right up there with those guys who say Scotty Moore made Elvis.

Not true either.

Pretty silly, really.

10. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

I think a lot of Page's genius, aside from an ear for the absolutely killer riff (I mean, c'mon, we all wish we could come up with ridfs that memorable), was his talent in the studio. There is a ton of music from that era, that today, just sounds old because of the way it was recorded. Zep's stuff feels like it could have been recorded recently. The man had a talent for getting it down on tape. To me, the albums have a richness and dimension to the sound that is hard to top.

gpasq, AAT65, falcon5romeo and 2 others like this.
  11. 6stringcowboy

I don't disagree with anything you said but Peter Grant should get some credit for that sound.

12. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

I don't know. I can't hear the sound of a cricket bat breaking kneecaps on any of those records. Maybe somewhere in the middle section of Whole Lotta Love? Lol!

6stringcowboy likes this.
  13. 6stringcowboy

LMAO, touche'

14. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Maybe you need a better sound system?

mally likes this.
  15. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Hey there Im a total Rush freak up to the Moving Pictures album. After that not so much. What I have always done is cut the vocal mids with an equalizer then all is well.

16. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Been listening to a lot of my old prog-rock and rock albums from the late '60s and early '70s, and some travel time well, where others just sound dated now. LZ's early stuff is really good, but after LZ4 I think they lost a bit of spark. Andy Johns as engineer did a good job on getting that big fat drum sound on some of those records.

17. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I can remember back when I was first inspired to pick up a guitar. That inspiration came from none other than Ace Frehley. In reality, he is probably responsible for just as many guitar players as Page or Hendrix.

However looking at it from today, nearly 20yrs later...I think he is an absolute hack and the definition of wasted talent (despite his success)

Not to mention I can't really tolerate KISS at all now days.

I still have my Destroyer album amongst a few others but the majority of the catalogue I'd rather "pretend out of existence"

So yea musical tastes can change.

I still think Paul Stanley is an incredible vocalist/performer

Gene Simmons: an insufferable A-hole

Ace: still my main inspiration, but now I know better

And Peter Chris: made a lasting impression on me, but from the things I've read isn't and never was a really great drummer (used alot of session players?)

And I've gotten way burnt out on LZ
    Thanks to radio...

Hero's come and go but it doesn't make them any less heroic.

18. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I was 10 in '67 and first heard LZ II and dug 'em ever since. If you want to learn to play bass, there isn't a better rock record to woodshed bar none.

SolidSteak likes this.
  19. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

LOL yeah, I have to agree... sure Jones is multi-talented and did a bunch of things behind the scenes, way above and beyond the call of a mere bass player, but it's not like people talk about "Jones and Plant" or "Page and Jones."

20. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

I think you're reading a bit more into my post than what was intended.

People have a tendency (even within this thread) to refer to Led Zeppelin as "Page, Plant and Bonham".

I only meant that without John Jones doing what he did, Jimmy Page, John Bonham and Robert Plant wouldn't have been able to do what they did.

Several other posts pointed out the fact that Jimmy Page really didn't do anything too terribly exciting outside of Led Zeppelin. Case in point.

kookaburra likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.