Reconsidering Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 12, 2016.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love Zep, I just don't think about it much. Hardly any nostalgia involved, just good rock n roll to jam to. But really, without LZ, who are we really? What would we be without DREAD:

Blue Bill and tlimbert65 like this.
  2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

LEZ Zepplin holds some appeal.
    The sexual dynamic makes more sense than what Page and Plant had going on.

3. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I graduated HS in 1979. I have never owned a LZ album or a Who album or a Rolling Stones album, or cd or whatever. Blasphemy?

I was more into The Band, Derek & The Dominos, The Allman Bros, The Marshall Tucker Band, Skynyrd, The Charlie Daniels Band, Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter, Little Feat, J Geils, Johnny Cash, and Merle Haggard.

Never could get into the screaming and the lyrical content of LZ, especially the Gollum BS. The Stones had some good stuff, but they weren't my thing back then. I have recently been listening to some tracks from Sticky Fingers. I now think there is some really good stuff there. I may even order the CD and might even try Exile On Main St.

Chooglin59 likes this.
  4. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

And, sadly, Dyer Maker, their worst song ever, IMHO (and I think in JPJ's).

I do hear Over the Hills and Far Away pretty often, and while it is not the best song ever, I do enjoy it.

Moby Dick may be my favourite these days...

5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I totally get how someone could reconsider an artist like that. I disagree about Plant not being a great singer, and I have not reconsidered Zeps body of work, but I had a similar epiphany about Jim Morrison. When I was younger, I totally looked up to him, but with changing tastes and the passage of time, I now consider him a total ass clown (still a good singer though).

P Thought and drlucky like this.
  6. BorderRadio

Likewise on Jim for me, but now I'm actually coming back around. "Backdoor Man" is getting some re-play, and I almost didn't cringe when "Touch Me" came up. Almost.

7. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's pretty much the gist of the very long post I was going to write.

RLee77 and songtalk like this.
  8. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I still can't play black dog to this day.
    To quirky.

9. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

I am a zep fan, and pull their stuff out when the bug bites me. But I can't really disagree with the OP's thoughts or feelings. When I was in my early twenties I didn't care what the singer sounded like so long as it ROCKED!!!

I will say this, just like we can get nostalgic for 'the good ol' days" our age can change our perspective and something we once thought was great becomes lackluster.

Oh the memories/flashbacks when I hear Jimi's All along the watchtower or Zeps Whole lotta love.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why do people get so upset over taste? As if it is objectively wrong not to enjoy LZ.

For me, with LZ the whole is less than the sum of the parts. I like some of what Page does. In fact, I appreciate that his imagination was not constrained by his technique. I didn't much like RP's vox in LZ, but like others I appreciate what is doing now. JB was truly an epic drummer in many ways. And JPJ the consummate pro. Add them all up and I'm just not "engaged" somehow. Can't listen for very long. Maybe because I was too young at the time, but the whole borrowed sexuality, vapid mysticism, empty lyrics thing does grate on me. But perhaps if I was older when they were in their prime, it would have come across differently.

Doesn't make them bad. Or me wrong.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  11. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

interesting, I never had trouble with black dog, but I never could play Rock and Roll for the same reason.

12. BorderRadio

Getting Black Dog quirks right was tricksy--like, say Funk #49 is quirky, but what I wanna get down are all the parts in The Song Remains The Same. Or not :D

13. rockbit

rockbit TDPRI Member

I wore out the first 3 albums. After that I kind of lost interest. Saw them a couple of times later in their career, but never on a "good night." I had the chance to see them in Vancouver during the tour for the first album but didn't. Foolish me.

14. walpow

walpow Tele-Meister

I've always thought Zeppelin was hugely overrated ... but "always" may actually mean "since classic rock stations started playing them over and over and over and over and ..."

When I force myself to listen, my musical problem with them is that it sounds like four guys playing by themselves. I don't get the whole-is-greater-than-the-sum-of-the-parts feeling I get when listening to the Who or Jefferson Airplane or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

I saw LZ twice back in 1969. Both times they were second-billed. First to the Who at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Maryland during my between-end-of-college-and-real-world road trip from New York to DC; then supporting the Jeff Beck Group at the Fillmore East. This has nothing to do with anything but I wanted to let everyone know I'm old.

John Nicholas and BorderRadio like this.
  15. BorderRadio

You're gonna fit in here JUST FINE....oh wait YOU ARE OLD, 2005!

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Ok I'll play… da Vinci is overrated as an artist; some of his brush strokes were sloppy.

17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I have a love-hate thing about certain iconic bands and performers. I will absolutely love 50% of their material and detest the other half. I'm not saying they aren't talented, I'm not saying that I play/sing/write better than them, I'm just saying that 50% of their material makes me dive for the button to change the channel...but the other 50% gets cranked up and I'm singing along and rocking out. There's no specific formula, either--it's just what I like (or don't).

I get some grief from certain people about this, but as I have stated elsewhere, I disabled my "Give A Crap About Other People's Opinions" function and cut the cord years ago.

Some bands that inhabit this list (this is not all-inclusive, there are more):

The Beatles
    Elvis Presley
    REM
    U2
    Allman Brothers Band
    CSN and CSNY
    Jeff Beck
    Rod Stewart (solo)
    Jonny Lang
    John Mayer
    Paul McCartney (solo)

...and Led Zeppelin falls into that category, too.

That's some pretty heavy hitters listed...but I can confidently state that I have no qualms about hating half or loving half of their output.

18. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Agree. But it's sorta cool how they took American blues and turned in on a dime as did many other British bands back in the day. For me it's Page guitar riffs and his open tuning stuff that I find so cool. Then add Bonham with those heavy drums and you have rock nirvana. We used to listen to When the Levee breaks over and over, all while under the influence of certain substances that are now legal in certain states. :)

19. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

My enjoyment of Zeppelin and Jimmy Page has only increased over the years. I studied the DADGAD tuning (Kasmir, Black Mountain Side) and began to really admire Page's compositional abilities. And these girls can't be wrong:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Fiesta Red and Blue Bill like this.
  20. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

There's a local tribute band around here called Zepplehem. Chick singer, chick drummer, dudes on bass and guitar. Totally kick ass. I'm too young to have seen the real deal live, so packing in to a small dive bar and hearing them bash it all out was incredible. 3 hours, nonstop hits. I was air drumming and air riffing the entire time. Zeppelin isn't even my favorite band, and I don't even listen to em that often. But when I do, JPJ's bass just pummels me and I can't help but rock the hell out. If Zep doesn't move you, you might be dead.

I never listened to them growing up, because all I ever heard on the radio was Rock n Roll, and everybody called them the 'greatest of all time', so naturally, I dismissed them.

When I was in Iraq, on a whim, I ordered their greatest hits CD, and the first three tracks were Black Dog, Babe I'm gonna Leave You, and Whole Lotta Love. By the time I got to Dazed and Confused, I remember thinking to myself 'THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN WANTING TO HEAR MY ENTIRE LIFE!'

To this day, no music has topped that feeling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.