Reconsidering Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I find it curious with all of Page and Jones background, everything from Tom Jones to Joe Cocker,
    And then the illustrious Zep career, that the only one worth listening to today is Plant.
    Somehow I find his solo stuff better than the Zep stuff.
    Earlier cuts with Robbie Blunt are worth a listen as well.
    Page did nothing significant since the Zep demise.
    Telling.
    And most the Zep stuff was nicked.
    Without any nod of credit.

"I'm just two drinks from becoming a lesbian"

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps you're right about Keith. I think Townshend's critique is heart felt. I really think he looks down on Zeppelin's music. That's not surprising because Townshend had great lyrics and I think his compositions go beyond riffs. (although he penned some nice riffs too).

Again, this is mostly about my change in musical tastes.

LeftyAl and Bruxist like this.
  3. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Yeah, Zep is brilliant. Y'all are nuts. :p

RLee77 and blowtorch like this.
  4. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Go watch Live at the Fillmore in 1970 and tell me they suck. Those dudes could play circles around all of us, and you're nitpicking? Geez the arrogance is astounding. It's ZEPPELIN.

5. les_Niobides

les_Niobides TDPRI Member

Rock n Roll is three chords and a lot of attitude. It's a young man's game and it's ridiculous to get pretentious about it.
    Keith, Pete, Jimmy, Eric were all burned out creatively decades ago. I don't even think it was the drugs so much as rock music tends to lack the same urgency when the musician becomes a pampered millionaire. Maybe this is why all the great music within this genre was done relatively early in a band's career. Doesn't matter if it was the Sex Pistols or The Stones, inspiration can dry up very fast when the fire in the belly is gone.
    Poverty has always been the sister of genius
    -Picasso

P Thought, tele12, RoyBGood and 8 others like this.
  6. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

I feel the same. Would love to hear some isolated or stack-o-tracks type stuff of there's.

Baseball is over for me so I turned rock radio on the way home yesterday and heard "Battle of Evermore". The singing never stops. Same with Soundgarden. Can't take all the emoting.

7. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Yeah some can be cheesy and the lyrics not win any big prizes but Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Going to California I just love along with Kashmir, Dazed and Confused, No Quarter, D'yer Mak'err, and even Achilles Last Stand just do it for me. And the beginning drum beat of When The Levee Breaks is to me one of the most iconic starts of a rock song ever.

All that said I love Rush and Geddy Lee. Although I'll admit his voice on Fly By Night can be a bit "nails on the chalkboard"!

RevMike likes this.
  8. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Bought this when it was first released here & it is still the only Zep album I listen to. Love it.[​IMG]

E5RSY likes this.
  9. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Led Zep, in my humble opinion is a magnificent band. Although...it took me most of my life to understand it. I didn't really become a fan until my 30's. (Odd, because the first Telecaster that made be say "Oh, that's cool, I want one!" was Page's Botswana Brown) As a kid, I didn't appreciate the grand epic songs. And don't get me started on Stairway. Now, looking back, I wish I'd paid more attention. The total package is brilliant. The powerful foundation of Bonham. The orchestration of JPJ. The complete reckless abandon of Page. They blended like an amazing cocktail. Plant on the other hand....well, I didn't like him in the past, now I really do. His emotional and dynamic voice was perfect for the songs. On the subject of writing...there's some great stuff in there. There's also some lame stuff too. And some that only the good lord (and Plant) know what in tarnation he's saying. It doesn't bother me. I love it. I really enjoy LZ....except Stairway. Great song...I've just had enough for 3 lifetimes.

10. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I hated them in high school. Took me about 15 years to like them. I think they are great now.

swany likes this.
  11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Everybody's entitled to their opinions, mine being that some on this forum are strictly guitarist's, only, with that same perspective in mind...nonetheless, after '70's graduation, I became a serious Blues N_zi & couldn't listen to Zeppelin for a good decade...as someone else said, "I'm over it". There's a lot more to them than Jimmy's riff virtuosity, he's a brilliant, multifaceted musician! Bonzo's a monster, there's no better drummer in hard rock...many rock head wanna-be's miss his funky edge & it's influence! John Paul Jones is an overlooked, mult-instrumenalist, with an impressive session musician's resume & like him or not, Robert Plant, carved the quintessential, vocalist/lyricist image into hard rock...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    t guitar floyd, RLee77 and songtalk like this.
  12. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I only like a couple of songs from Led Zeppelin and for me it's actually as much Bonhams drumming as it is Pages guitar that made them outstanding - for some songs.
    Others are horrible Kitsch and puberty gone wrong.
    I did enjoy them more than most ROlling STones songs. Those I liked were all with Brian JOnes.
    I think The Who and Pete Townshend with Deep End were way more interesting, couragious and entertaining than both Zep and Stones
    But, hey, that's what we call personal choice.
    I was also never into Reggae, still I enjoyed Dread Zeppelin playing live years ago.

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I idolized Zeppelin in my later teens (I'm 49 now), and here are my observations:

1) Robert Plant's voice was absolutely killer on the first two albums, and had mellowed nicely on their last album, but there is some stuff in between - especially on the Houses of the Holy album - that sounds like a screeching girl.

2) Yes, they "stole" some of their earlier material, but they did it so much better that it was in a completely different galaxy and cannot realistically even be considered to be the same songs.

3) Page is a sloppy lead guitarist, but has come up with some of the best riffs ever. He and James Hetfield are the two top riff monsters of all time.

4) Radio program directors are not aware of any LZ songs outside of "Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid", "Stairway to Heaven", and "Whole Lotta Love". It's a shame, really.

5) In Through the Out Door was a very good album. They style was starting to change, and I believe that if Bonham had not died, they would have continued further in the keyboard direction and would have gone downhill into obscurity, and people would have cited that album as the beginning of the end. As it stands now, they are legends and that album was their final masterpiece.

drlucky and troy2003 like this.
  14. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

@

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

That would make an awesome band name!

t guitar floyd likes this.
  16. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Great post. Tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may.

17. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Love the riffs. Love Bonham's studio drumming. Sounds huge.
    JPJ was always spot-on.
    Plant did what other's couldn't do....
    I sound like a complete fan boy. I have always loved Zep....yet now it seems to fall flat in a lot of ways.
    Still dig Page's riffs and Bonham's drumming.....I love the rockers and blues they play....but something is no longer there for me.
    That said the first 2 albums remain incredible. Heartbreaker is the reason I decided to pick up the guitar. It still gives me chills.

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Again, I never said they "sucked". There are many of their songs that can only be considered classics, acoustic and hard rock.
    My post was more about my changing tastes and how I find Plant's lyrics to be crap. I have never thought his voice was great but it served their early music well.
    I was curious whether anyone else has experienced a change of heart about them and, if anyone else found Plant's lyrics insufferable at times.
    Again, they are Led Zeppelin. They don't suck. Far from it. What I love the most is their iconic riffs, thus great "riff based rock n roll."

19. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I was slaughtered on here a few years ago for saying I didn't like LZ. I still don't - it's that shrill rock singer thing. Robert Plant seems like a lovely feller, but I don't like his howling.

Honest Charley likes this.
  20. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

It's kind of funny, in the early 1970's I played bass in a band and we covered quite a bit of Led Zeppelin, personally I was more into pop at the time... no accounting for taste!

Later I got into them more deeply and loved their music, but different from others, I liked their later albums much more... Presence and In Through the Out Door...

Then for nearly two decades, I couldn't listen to it at all!!

A couple of years ago while watching Phil X demonstrate vintage guitars for Fretted America, I heard him play some LZ riffs that brought me back to the old days...

Not that I listen to them everyday or anything, but now it's easier to appreciate them... I've even learned how to play a couple of their songs on the guitar recently...

Side note... to annoy friends I will play the opening parts of Stairway... it's fun to watch their faces when you do that!!

drlucky likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.