1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reconed VOX Alnico - Totally worth it

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by CV Jee Beez, Nov 16, 2018.

1. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I bouhgt this used locally from another gear hound. Got it home and installed in my Morgan 1x12 and tested ot out with my 6-12 watt Emery Sound Super Baby.

In a nutshell, awesome. In comparison to current production Alnico models that I've had (Fane AXA 12, Scumnico 100 watt neo tipped, Celestion Blue, and Celestion Gold), I prefer this recone.

The Fane and the Scumnico have more snap on the low E so they have more range in music they'll be good with, i.e. Metal.

The Blues and the Golds are brighter.

This speaker though, has a lot more mid and low mid content. It sounds great clean and with dirt.

The seller said that Gordon Speakerman did the recone. It's undoped like new blues.

Next up is my attempt to recone my cream colored '74 Greenback with a kit from Amplified Parts.

I do have a weakness for old British gear!

FenderGyrl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.