Recone, Repair, or Replace Vintage Jensen 8"

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by schmerf, Aug 8, 2020.

1. schmerf

schmerf TDPRI Member

I recently got an amp that I love the sound of but one of the 4x8" Jensen speakers has seen better days. It fuzzes out on certain low frequencies.

The speakers are from 1961 so are old.

Do you think it is worth reconing or do you have trouble shooting tips for repairing this type of speaker.

Or do you think the best thing to do would be to replace them?

If I replace I might be looking to have a new baffle made to keep the original hardware all together. If you have any suggestions on who could make one please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    24 track likes this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

Re-coning a speaking will cost the same as a new one or possibly more.

WGS and Weber does re-cone jobs.

3. schmerf

schmerf TDPRI Member

Seems like a full recone of all speakers and new speakers would be a similar price.

unsure whether the Jensens would be better reconed if I like the sound or if something else might sound even better.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

What amp is this? Note: the IMG is not available to me???
    If the amp is worth the expense, I would want to maintain the originality in whatever way I could. Also, if the amp has not been properly serviced, that needs to be done.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If it was mine I would just recone the bad speaker. Replacing all four would cost four times as much, and it will sound different. If you don't want to change the sound you have now, just fix the bad one.

Maguchi, mojo filters, Boreas and 2 others like this.
  6. philstrat97

philstrat97 TDPRI Member

http://jamacspeakers.com/

These guys repaired a bunch of speakers for me I thought were long gone. Saved me a ton too!! If there is any life left in the old broke speakers, they're worth repairing. It'll take a long time to get new ones that broke in.

Terrytown likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just replace or recone the one. Depending on what it is, many 8" are cheap used or new.
    MORE INFO

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

We can't view your pics. Go to your image gallery and change the permissions on these images to "Everyone."

schmerf likes this.
  9. schmerf

schmerf TDPRI Member

Let me know if the images show now.

It’s an Epiphone Futura.

It’s newly acquired and at the tech for a once over and three prong cord.

When reckoning speakers does it make sense to just recone one or should they all be done?

10. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

As a speaker ages the suspension (aka damper or spider) and the surround become more *pliable* for lack of a better word. Becoming more pliable is desired when a speaker is not *broken in* but after it is *broken in* we would like the suspension to remain stable. It does not of course and the day comes when the suspension no longer can do the job. The old speaker will usually show problems with low end and/or loud passages.

Depending on how you intend to use the amp should guide your decisions.
    If you want it all stock, I would just repair the troublesome speaker(s). This would retain the vintage sound of the amp best.
    If this is your reliable gigging amp, I would replace all of the speakers and pack up the old ones for the future owner.

Fender Phil likes this.
  11. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

your tech will tell you whether or not it needs reconing. get that info first and go from there.

play music!

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

If keeping the amp as close as possible to original is important to you, then have a quality re-cone done.

If not, then store the originals and install a set of brand new Weber or WGS speakers.

Myself, I would probably do both. I would recone and/or rebuild the bad speaker as a first step. Even if I ended up installing four brand new speakers instead, I would want to have four working originals in storage. I like having original specs as an option that can be returned to – with all gear, really, but especially old gear.

Maguchi likes this.
  13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I got one of these Apex AA01 a test tone oscillator that will sweep 20 to 20K HZ , sine or square wave tone upto 14 db i tested this unit on my realtime analyser and it was dead accurate.

I can take the output directly to the speaker and sweep the frequencies to tell me if the speaker is damaged with out pumping a huge amount of signal through it.

I also use it if I am buying used speakers, so I dont end up with a dud speaker that some how the seller forgot to tell me about, where this differs from a multimeter is that a muktimeter will only show you the speaker resistence, but this will sweep the speakers responce range , a handy tool for sure.

41YFTMoYr9L._AC_.jpg

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Cool, get that reconed to keep it original. There are some cheap on Ebay. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=224107983509
    Those are light duty though, will you be playing it much? Loud? Weber 8F150's are great, but man, a lot of money when you need 4.
    You could go with new cheap Jensen C8R's. Save the originals with the amp for when you sell.

15. schmerf

schmerf TDPRI Member

I like the sound of the speakers in there but do worry that if I just got one fixed up the others would go once the amp was seeing more use. It’s been sitting around for a long time before I got it.

With everything going on it’s unlikely the amp will be seeing many gigs soon.

The plan is for it to get quite the recording/rehearsal workout after it’s good to go though. So it will be played a lot and fairly loud.

I was contemplating having a baffle with new speakers made that I could swap in. Any recommendations on either the right supplies to make One myself or someone to make A custom replacement?

16. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

A recone kit is about $20 delivered, and anyone that can operate scissors, a bottle of glue, and a solder stick can do a recone. Seriously. Look on yootoob for how to recone a speaker (watch several) and you'll pick up the little tips and stricks necessary to get a good result. It's not wizardry or rocket surgery.

It really is easy and fun to do.

And playing an amp through a speaker *you* reconed makes it even more magical and inspiring.

17. schmerf

schmerf TDPRI Member

Any recone kit you’d recommend?

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I can't recommend a kit because it depends on the speaker model, the type of suspension, cone shape and depth, type of center cap, the diameter and length of the voice coil, diameter of the spider, etc.

Contact these folks: www.simplyspeakers.com and see if they have the recone kit you need for your speaker.

Another company I've used for parts and kits is www.reconingspeakers.com

benderb9 and schmerf like this.
  19. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, we can see from the pics that there has been some work done on this amp at some time. Imho, the first order of business is to review that work AND to replace the bias cap, which appears to be original. As for the speaker, one either recones at least one speaker or pull them and replace them all. Box the originals up for preservation.

Is this a Futura?

24 track likes this.
  20. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

My recone guy told me that vintage stamped-frame speakers can suffer misalignment if the frame is bent, causing "cone cry"
    Reconing then is only an option after re-alignment is a special fixture that he could not justify purchasing
    If you find a shop that can perform frame alignments, then any speaker can be reconed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.