Recommended affordable headphones for guitar practice?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by valvestate, Jun 19, 2019.

1. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Hey folks! I'm a noob with headphones, I saw some cheap Marshall Major II and Major III around our area but I'm not sure if is it good enough. I've been reading some reviews from REDDIT and they seem to be flimsy

I need an affordable WIRED headphones to connect to my Yamaha THR10's headphone input.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

You could do a lot worse than a pair of Sony MDR-7506. Mine are 20+ years old, still working, still comfortable.

3. snorville

snorville TDPRI Member

I second the MDR-7506s. They’ve been around forever, the parts are replaceable, and there is a mod / upgrade community out there with lots of documentation available. They are high quality and comfortable for wearing over long periods. Being able to fix them and not toss them in the trash was a big selling point for me, but I haven’t had any problems yet in the years I’ve had them.

With a 2 year old, I use mine to practice all the time. It takes a little more work to get as good a tone out of my Champion 20 using the headphone out and skipping the speaker, but pays in dividends by not waking up the little one.

SolidSteak and valvestate like this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

Consider the Shure SRH440 - cheap and quite good.

And by cheap, I mean reasonably priced yet good sound and build and that they punch above their price range. I don't mean cheap as in poorly made.

Quite a flat response, which might be good for the THR10 (I have one of those too), especially since the THR is quite 'stereo sound' like. Good for recording / mixing on too, should you go down that route.

They have detachable / replaceable cables too. Not that mine is showing any wear in years and years of use.

The next step up are the SRH840s. The bit more flavoured, warmed up version.

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/headphones

Pax/
    Dean

valvestate likes this.
  5. valvestate

Cool! I was also looking at these earlier when I was reading this review! https://musicoomph.com/best-headphones-for-guitar-amps/

6. valvestate

Nice! Thanks! I might check this out as well! Good that you mentioned you also have a THR10!! :D

7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I have a Heil headphone set that is the best I have ever heard. They price out between $100-$120.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Another thumbs up for the Sony - I just got a pair earlier this year and use them with a Pod and a Digitech Element to practice guitar with when I can't use an amp. I haven't done any mixing with them but I plan to next chance I get.

I also have a cheaper pair of AKG K44s ($40) that I've used for 3-4 years, and they are also very comfortable. I've dropped them on the ground, accidentally yanked the cord, etc. But they don't have quite as much bass as the Sony 7506.

valvestate likes this.
  9. geektoad

geektoad TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Another vote for the Sonys here. There are better, but you'll pay dearly for that last 5% improvement in quality. I personally can't justify the difference and have no compliant about the 7506s.

valvestate likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.