Recommendations under $400.00

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by ftbtx, Oct 22, 2019.

1. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Hello all,
    I am looking for a new affordable acoustic. Trying to stay under $400.00. I prefer a Grand Auditorium or Dreadnought. The Ibanez choices are tempting, does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks as always,
    FTB

Skydog1010 and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had an older Ibanez I liked. But I think it was 80's.
    The new Guild Westerly imports are said to be pretty good for the $.
    I definitely would go play some at a store for an acoustic, huge differences in feel and tone.
    Yamahas are consistently pretty good.

I have a '78 Fender F65 Acoustic dreadnaught that I love, although I don't ever play it anymore. I play smaller acoustics now. The F45 and F65 are nice and they go cheap. (I think just because Fender is not known for acoustics and has changed suppliers so many times over the years.) They should have stuck with whoever made these. They were built by Yamaha in that time period I have heard, Yamaha style headstock, not Fender headstock. All solid rosewood back and sides with spruce top. Not plywood.

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Well the obvious suggestion is to get to as many music stores as you can and play everything hanging on the wall. Go a little higher in price because there might be some wiggle room. That said, I have been quite impressed with all the Eastman and Blueridge guitars that I've played.

4. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Seagull

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I h ave a question, I've only played one Seagull before. The thing was nicely built, but it was huge. The neck was like driving a Caterpiller when you are used to a Honda. Just thick and big. Is that typical of Seagulls?

6. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I don't think they typically have huge necks. I payed a model recently that had a very comfy neck and sounded amazing, better than a lot of acoustics in the room at 3 times the price. It was under $500.

7. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister

guild westerly series, yamaha acoustics, seagull, art & luthier, alvarez, all make great acoustics in your price range. As other's have said, go test drive them at your local guitar store. don't rule out used (from a reputable store, as you probably already know).

gkterry, telestratosonic and ftbtx like this.
  8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

ftbtx likes this.
  9. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I bought an older used epiphone masterbilt for like 300 something bucks a few years back. If you can find one from the earlier 2000s they are really nice and all real wood. It is my favorite acoustic, it may be my favorite guitar I own

Yamaha is a good brand for a good price. I always recommend them for first acoustics but they have some nice ones closer to 400. I like them.

Best thing would be to just try to play a bunch in person, with acoustics you never know what you will find and might be surprised with what sounds and feels best

telestratosonic and ftbtx like this.
  10. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. There are only two music shops within an hour drive of my house. I'll go see what they have, I will definitely take all of your experiences into consideration, thanks again!

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  11. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I'd start with the one carrying the most yamaha dreads - maybe even used. You may even have money left over.

If I had it to do over, that is what I would buy.

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

13. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

I have an Alvarez AF30 that is a great little guitar for the money and has a slimmer neck like you mentioned in some of the comments. The Eastman PCH series are incredibly affordable as well. I have an Eastman E8OM (higher up in the range) and if their lower priced models perform like their higher priced stuff, you wouldn't likely regret picking one up.

nomadh and ftbtx like this.
  14. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I would get a used Martin Dx1

rze99, 39martind18, rcboals and 2 others like this.
  15. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

Yamaha is crushing it in the low end acoustics. That's where I'd start.

16. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Eastman and Seagull. Eastman are very highly regarded in the acoustic guitar community. Many rate them right up there with Martin and Taylor.

17. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Seagull or Art & Lutherie -- both brands are made by Godin (in North America) and offer great quality/sound for the price! I have an A&L "Ami" parlour guitar and Seagull Artist series cutaway dreadnought.

telestratosonic and ftbtx like this.
  18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Check out a Sigma DM-18. A "Martin-owned and inspected" overseas-made brand. GREAT guitar. And pretty inexpensive:
    https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=sigma dm 18
    (Not affiliated with any sellers.)

I was spoiled by owning a Martin D-21 when I was a mere 17 yr. old. I had to sell it to survive a divorce, getting the Sigma as a fill-in beater. It's been my go-to acoustic ever since, despite cycling through many guitars since I had to sell that D-21. Rich, balanced sound, great neck, still on the original frets.

Tonetele and ftbtx like this.
  19. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum TDPRI Member

Came here to say that - Great value in my opinion (as long as you can live with the headstock).

I helped my dad pick out an acoustic and he settled on a Seagull - one of the most comfortable necks I've played (electric or acoustic). Similar to a Fender Deep C.

telestratosonic, TeleTex82 and ftbtx like this.
  20. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Yamaha. But I have an Ibanez AC240 that I love. Plays and sounds great! Play it and my Yamahas more than my more expensive acoustics (and I have 14 acoustics).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.