Recommendations Needed on Tele Search.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
In 2011 Fender had an Anniversary edition that was an ash body American Standard with a nitro finish, but they also had the "regular" American Standard in natural with the "regular" urethane finish. And to make things more confusing both had that 60th Anniversary of the Telecaster neck plate. I think if you run the serial number through Fender's lookup it should tell you if its the Anniversary model or the regular American Standard.
If you can't the difference between nitro and urethane finishes IS there any difference?

Back at it

Tele-Meister
I’d look for a used Nash, k line etc

youll get the kind of parts you would likely buy and it will have better resale than a parts aster

speranza

TDPRI Member
If you can find one of these used I think it might be right up your alley. I got mine for $1775 and while I don't know the neck measurements, it feels smallish to me, and has medium jumbo frets:

IMG_0873.jpeg

Here's a recent thread about them: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-d...62-reissue-telecaster-vintage-blonde.1107491/

Mur

Friend of Leo's
Hey All !

I'll try to keep this short.
I don't know if I have a dilemma or I'm not looking at the right Tele models.

Price range for a used guitar....$1100 - $1800.

I prefer transparent finishes like the old 50's and 60's guitars. Clear turned yellowish/orange like a Nachocaster, or the American '52 reissues, or beat up and faded like Robben Ford's 60's Tele or transparent Desert Sand or Blonde finishes.

I also would prefer: Ash, Nitro/Lacquer, Ashtray Bridge w/3 saddles, Kluson type split tip tuners, a narrow neck (front to back) but 1 5/8"+...more like 1 11/16" and Large Frets. I could change hardware so it's mainly the neck and body if something fits the budget. I could go Maple or Rosewood depending on the body. I would prefer 10+ years old but could go for something newer.

The dilemma appears to be that most of the nitro/lacquer finishes are on 50's reissue models with large necks and small frets. I have small/med hands. I played some riffs that are harder for me to play on a variety of necks and I play better on more narrow necks...playing them one after another at one sitting back and forth.

I like the HWY 1 Texas Tele but the necks aren't nitro and even if the body has a nice relic the neck, unless really beat up, is going to look newish for years, they don't seem to age. And on those I'd probably prefer the blonde but with a rosewood FB which they didn't make on the Texas version.
Some of the Road Worn 50's could be considered but then again...small frets...fat necks.
The American Vintage '64 looks interesting but to purchase and eventually refret with larger frets would most likely put me well over budget.

So, what am I missing....?

Or, do I need to assemble a partscaster Tele or... hunt for a bargain and do a refret and/or neck shave?
You can make a neck look old, it's not too difficult.

horax

Tele-Afflicted
Do a Logan Custom. You can save money and hit all your spec points in a high quality guitar that is custom made in the USA.

wyclif

Tele-Afflicted
Hey All !

I prefer transparent finishes like the old 50's and 60's guitars. Clear turned yellowish/orange like a Nachocaster, or the American '52 reissues, or beat up and faded like Robben Ford's 60's Tele or transparent Desert Sand or Blonde finishes.

I also would prefer: Ash, Nitro/Lacquer, Ashtray Bridge w/3 saddles, Kluson type split tip tuners, a narrow neck (front to back) but 1 5/8"+...more like 1 11/16" and Large Frets. I could change hardware so it's mainly the neck and body if something fits the budget. I could go Maple or Rosewood depending on the body. I would prefer 10+ years old but could go for something newer.

The dilemma appears to be that most of the nitro/lacquer finishes are on 50's reissue models with large necks and small frets. I have small/med hands. I played some riffs that are harder for me to play on a variety of necks and I play better on more narrow necks...playing them one after another at one sitting back and forth.

I like the HWY 1 Texas Tele but the necks aren't nitro and even if the body has a nice relic the neck, unless really beat up, is going to look newish for years, they don't seem to age. And on those I'd probably prefer the blonde but with a rosewood FB which they didn't make on the Texas version.
Some of the Road Worn 50's could be considered but then again...small frets...fat necks.
The American Vintage '64 looks interesting but to purchase and eventually refret with larger frets would most likely put me well over budget.

Or, do I need to assemble a partscaster Tele or... hunt for a bargain and do a refret and/or neck shave?

Suggestions?

I would say look for a used American Original '60s Telecaster. They're nitro finish, double bound, and the neck is slimmer than on a blackguard 50's style Tele. Very nice guitars, too...if you can find one.

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
I wouldn't get too fixated over a nitro finish; in Fender's case it's only a thin coat ('thin-skin'), over a poly base and wears off real quick. I can't be certain about the CS stuff, but any other model advertised as 'nitro' is only 'kinda nitro'.

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
Thanks for all of the input. There's a lot to go through.

The "Dave's" AV'62 and the AV64 do not, from what I've read, have a Poly undercoat like most lacquer finishes. They are all nitro. But looking at paint chips on some guitars and it's amazing how thick the poly finish is!

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
For those who own a Dave's '62...how accurate is the measurement of 1 5/8" at the nut? I know some vintage guitars I've owned were actually thinner than 1 5/8" and a few slightly larger.

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
I'm liking the look and specs of the Jimmy Page Mirror Tele...prowling for guitars gets addicting! LOL

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey All !

Suggestions?
I think you answered your own question properly....you need a custom build. Either build your own or consult a builder to meet your specs.

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
Thank you all for your assistance! I purchased a 2019 Jimmy Page Mirror Telecaster, 7.1lbs., virtually no wear.

I'll post pics when it arrives.

Brent Hutto

Tele-Holic
I wouldn't get too fixated over a nitro finish; in Fender's case it's only a thin coat ('thin-skin'), over a poly base and wears off real quick. I can't be certain about the CS stuff, but any other model advertised as 'nitro' is only 'kinda nitro'.
So basically they spray Nitro on top of the Poly so you can enjoy the authentic experience of having it accumulate visible rub marks and swirls starting the very first time you play it.