1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommendations for silicon-free polishes

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Ragged Tweed, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Ragged Tweed

Ragged Tweed TDPRI Member

I sprayed nitrocellulose lacquer for the first time this fall and have been waiting to wet sand and polish it. I wanted to order the ColorTone hand polishing kit from Stew Mac but it’s been out of stock for a few months.

It comes with medium and fine polish, and swirl remover.

I can probably buy the high grit sandpaper and polish cloth at a box store, but can anyone recommend a good brand of polish and swirl remover that is silicone free? Maybe stuff I could buy at Napa or Autozone?

I’m new to this so detailed responses/tips are welcome!

Thanks!

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I use Mequiars mirror glaze #2 and #3 with either a foam disk for a drill motor (all of which you can buy at an auto parts store) or with a pedestal buffer.

I just received some buffing pads from Surbuf.com recommended by some one on the DIY forum, they are designed for use on a RO sander. I'm not ready to give them a full recommendation but they look promising.,

Here is nitro on a maple top, wet sanded starting at 800 or 1000, going to 2000, them buffed with the Mequiars #2 and 3. Honestly you can skip the #2 if you sand to 2000.

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4810.JPG

Wildeman likes this.
  3. Ragged Tweed

Ragged Tweed TDPRI Member

That’s beautiful!
    Thank you!
    Do you sand up incrementally like 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000?

or just from 1000 right to 2000?

4. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

As any autobody painter will tell you silicone is a no go in the shop. Dont even let it through the door. Generally any pro grade auto polish will be silicone free. My go to has always been the Meguire's Mirror Glaze line up which is autobody shop safe.

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

My last coat of lacquer is thinned 1:1 or more and is a "flow coat" that ideally needs no level sanding and has no dust - in other words it is almost acceptable without sanding. Based on how good that is determines what grit I start at - 800 if there are any flaws, 1000 if not. Then its each step skipping none (which is also how you should be doing your dry sanding on bare wood - don't skip grits). I can stop at 1500 and use the Mequiars #2 or go to 2000 and just the fine. Some people use naphtha while wet sanding, I sometimes put a tiny drop of dish washing soap in the water.

And as Bondo says, silicones have no use in finishing and I don't like wax either.

ps - you can get the wet and dry sand papers at the same auto parts store where you get the Meguiars and foam pads

IMG_6216.JPG

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I use 3M Finesse It and a foam pad. It's miracle fast!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.