Recommendations for pickup change for a HS Telecaster

Tele-Meister
I'm looking for pickup recommendations to blend a humbucker and single-coil on a couple Telecasters I've got.

Especially recommendations related to Fralins.

I mostly play classic rock and I really like to sit in middle position like I do when I use a Les Paul.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
I like minihum or firebird for neck and slightly hot bridge like tonerider hot classic or Duncan Donahue.
I spend 3/4 of my time in middle, and shift front or back as needed~

Resojazznblues

Tele-Holic
Imho a Fralin steel pole 42 in the bridge and Fralin paf humbucker with nickel silver cover is a great combo. The Fralin humbucker wound a little hotter. Had a set in a grosh t style I played for years. Best sounding electric I ever played.

Tele-Meister
Imho a Fralin steel pole 42 in the bridge and Fralin paf humbucker with nickel silver cover is a great combo. The Fralin humbucker wound a little hotter. Had a set in a grosh t style I played for years. Best sounding electric I ever played.

I'm digging this suggestion I'd not thought of it before...

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/pure-paf/

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/steel-pole-42-telecaster/

So I understand you are suggesting getting the neck Pure PAF wound to 7.8k instead of the stock 7.5k and I see the Steel Pole 42 comes at 6.7k in the bridge.

Is the idea that the hotter neck PAF will "blend" better with the single-coil bridge?

Do you use a 500k pot on the neck and a 250k pot on the bridge?

Any other considerations?

ScribbleSomething

Tele-Holic
This is outside what you asked, But since you indicated there is more than one — consider getting a humbucker sized gold foil.

I bought the supro version when they were still selling them. Love it.

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My automatic I do a lot of is Bill Lawrence Wilde L48 bridge & L90 2.0henry neck with a 5-way Schaller Megaswitch M or 4-way Oakgrisby. 250k pots.

Whatever you do make sure you get a compatable humbucker rather than some high output one that you have to lower to the pickguard to keep from overpowering the single.

There are a couple demos on my YouTube channel but here is one.

Tele-Meister
Whatever you do make sure you get a compatable humbucker rather than some high output one that you have to lower to the pickguard to keep from overpowering the single.

Right! That's part of why I'm posting is to find some examples that are known to work.

Resojazznblues

Tele-Holic
I'm digging this suggestion I'd not thought of it before...

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/pure-paf/

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/steel-pole-42-telecaster/

So I understand you are suggesting getting the neck Pure PAF wound to 7.8k instead of the stock 7.5k and I see the Steel Pole 42 comes at 6.7k in the bridge.

Is the idea that the hotter neck PAF will "blend" better with the single-coil bridge?

Do you use a 500k pot on the neck and a 250k pot on the bridge?

Any other considerations?
Hello. A 500k on the volume. It was a standard Tele scheme 3 way volume tone. The sp42 prefers 500k as does paf, I am sure you know. I don't remember any wiring trickery. Yes the hotter paf blends better with the sp42. The sp42 is like a really nice p90, the paf has that "vintage paf" tone. When you blend them it is like smearing butter on hot pancakes. My grosh had a one piece southern swamp ash body and eastern hard maple neck fingerboard (one piece). That Fralin set really sang in that guitar.

Tele-Meister
Hello. A 500k on the volume. It was a standard Tele scheme 3 way volume tone. The sp42 prefers 500k as does paf, I am sure you know. I don't remember any wiring trickery. Yes the hotter paf blends better with the sp42. The sp42 is like a really nice p90, the paf has that "vintage paf" tone. When you blend them it is like smearing butter on hot pancakes. My grosh had a one piece southern swamp ash body and eastern hard maple neck fingerboard (one piece). That Fralin set really sang in that guitar.

My head was with a Les Paul's controls. 500k on the lone volume, right!

I think there is a very strong possibility I try the Pure PAF at 7.8k and SP42 in a Tele.

Now I do have some other Teles so I'm open for more recommendations...