Recommendations for online or dvd programs for someone stuck in a rut

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Bryan A, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Sometimes I go through long spells of learning new things, then I got a rut and it’s almost like I don’t know which way to turn next and I start to get bored with the whole thing.

so for this type situation, does anybody have any recommendations for online or DVD programs or lessons that keep you coming back? Or either some suggested teachers?

I’m not interested in being a “shredder” in any way, not interested in fast metal stuff. More interested in stuff that maybe goes in-depth (more so than a 5 minute YouTube video) on on stuff like chord embellishments ala Hendrix and his disciples. Or concocting riffs and licks from scales. Stuff like that, not necessarily deep in-depth music theory. Any recommendations?

2. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Depends on the format you do best with but I’ve had good luck with TrueFire.

Lots of different instructors, styles, etc. You should be able to find something that interests you.

Most courses have a few freebies so that you can get a feel for the material and instructor.

3. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

Truefire is the best source for online lessons, IMHO. I recommend trying the all access subscription for one month. That way, you can try out several courses/instructors, and see if there are any that hook you (there will be).

It's much better to try out the all-access, rather than just try to purchase individual courses. It's difficult to tell if a course is going to be what you're looking for, without being able to first navigate through the lessons.

4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Been there...have you considered the Gibson Instruction courses?

They are very inclusive and provide workshop dvd's so you can play along and apply the lessons. I started out on their "Learn and Master Guitar" course, but became a little burned out after a year. I did add their Blues course though and really enjoyed that one a great deal more.

If you like a no-nonsense approach to instruction, you could try looking for the collection of instructions by Scott Grove. The man is a little long winded like listening to an intoxicated uncle while fishing, but I learned a lot from his lessons just the same. He used to sell the complete collection of instructions on a jump drive off fleabay, but it was several years ago since I looked.

Bryan A likes this.
  5. fuzz guy

fuzz guy Tele-Meister

I was going to say Truefire too.

johmica, Bryan A and SRHmusic like this.
  6. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Came in here to say TrueFire and predictably several have beaten me to it.

Been on it around a month now and the breadth of material is astounding. From very niche stuff I was looking for (fingerstyle jazz, Western Swing) to the very broad "tracks" they offer... incredible value.

I think they do a trial so you can figure out if it's for you.

7. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

No direct experience with his subscription service, but I suspect after watching many interviews and performances by him that Jack Pearson's online lessons would be terrific. My playing went to a different level by following a few of his tips.

Jack can morph from sounding like Duane to Wes to Django (tastefully) in the same song and comes off as a humble guy and good communicator.

If you're not already familiar with him, here are a few links to check out.

Bryan A likes this.
  8. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I am going to add to the truefire choir. It has kept me advancing for years now. I tend to buy individual courses, and have definitely spent more every year than an all-access membership would be.

To your specific question on chord embellishments, I would recommend these specific courses on Truefire:

Jeff Mcerlain: Breakthrough Blues-Rock Rhythm Fills
    Matthieu Brandt: Triads & Hendrixian Doublestops

I have worked through both. Both good courses. Brandt goes through the material a little slower and methodically.

There are a lot of courses. I got started on Truefire because I wanted something more in-depth and structured than random YouTube videos.

9. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Another vote for TrueFire and Jeff McErlain, Andy Timmons, Matt Schofield, and many more. Once a year they have an unlimited access deal for about $100 for 12 months. (I did that and have taken advantage of digging into more lessons and skipping around.)

Bryan A and matrix like this.
  10. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Pax/
    Dean

11. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi again.

But seriously, as well as trying (& probably failing) to be funny, my point in that previous post is, if you are actually in a rut, as opposed to just not making progress,* you need to get out.

One way is to try something completely different. For example, if you go the oft recommended Truefire route, try something totally not you. There are probably quite a few things on there you’re not into that are also not shreddy metal.

Or, try bass for a bit. Or piano - if you record at home and have a DAW, a midi keyboard can be had really cheaply.

Which brings me to, try recording at home if you don’t already. This forces you to learn to do a whole bunch of other stuff, and not just technical either. Like composing, arranging, etc.

And / or, just take a break, so you can come back refreshed.

That’s about all I got.

Pax/
    Dean
    * I think of ‘stuck in a rut’ as something different from not making (enough) progress

SRHmusic likes this.
  12. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I would also recommend checking out some TrueFire courses.
    And Eric Haugen's YouTube channel might have some lessons that would fit the description of what you're looking for (just keep scrolling, he has tons of different stuff):

https://youtube.com/user/ebhaugen

13. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Carl Verheyen "Intervallic Rock" I think might be the name of it.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Tire chains, a come along, a tow truck, or some mates to push?

15. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Thanks for the recommendations everybody. I’m gonna check Truefire out

johmica likes this.
  16. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I love Eric’s videos and if he had a subscription deal, I’d join. Unfortunately his only pay service is for songs. He has about 10 really good videos, I wish he had a full blown lesson program and not just pay per song stuff. He’s definitely a great teacher.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    johmica likes this.
  17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Does TrueFire still offer a free 30 day (or 10 day…or whatever) trial? If so, then at least give that a try to see if they have courses that appeal to your style, ability, etc.

Bryan A and johmica like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.