Recommendations For Online Guitar Teachers (Individual Lessons, Not Online Courses)?

colchar

Friend of Leo's
A friend of mine is trying to learn how to play guitar, but is stuck at the advanced beginner stage. Not sure of the details, but the methods of his previous teachers didn't really work for him and he has struggled to make progress. He is looking for a new guitar teacher, and is more than willing to try my suggestion of online lessons so as to expand the number of teachers from which he has to choose. I am not talking about online courses (Justin, Guitar Tricks, etc.), I am talking about a live one-on-one teacher who just happens to teach over the internet.

He isn't a social media person (he would consider guitar forums to be social media) so I am asking for him - can anyone recommend good guitar teachers for beginner/advanced beginner/intermediate guitar students? We are in the Toronto area so it would be best if the person was in roughly the same time zone as that will make it easier to arrange lessons. Because of time differences people in Europe might not be a great idea, although they would be considered as would folks on the west coast.

If folks here could recommend people and provide URLs to websites or email addresses, I can put them together and pass them along to him (or he can read the thread) so that he can contact potential teachers and talk things through with them.

And no, I am not an option as I am nowhere near good enough a player to be teaching someone else.

Last edited:

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
Hi Colchar, the first two that come to mind are Jason Loughlin and Guthrie Trapp. Check their websites and social media to see if they would be a good match for your friend’s ability/interest. I believe Jason is a member here.

RCinMempho

Friend of Leo's
FunkyGuitar.com Regular Joe, well Robert, pro guitarist that teaches and gigs for a living. He's been around different forums for years. I did lessons over Skype with him and learned a lot. He teaches full time and has for years. He has materials and methods that work. I'm sure there are lots of others, but Robert taught me a lot and deserves a reccomendation.