Recommendations for old movie/TV discussion page?

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
I have spent too much time lately watching old TV and movies. Like, pre-1980. I've been on a kick of 1950s Alfred Hitchcock Presents lately - B&W half-hour shows - and have lately viewed a few Columbo episodes. Just watched "His Kind of Woman", a 1951 RKO drama starring Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Vincent Price and Raymond Burr - totally wacked-out in its sudden shifts between brutal crime drama and nutty comedy.

Fellow movie nuts: is there a board you recommend for detailed discussion of these old flicks? Thanks for any replies.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Likewise man! My wife and I have been binge watching Perry Mason, The Honeymooners, Twilight Zone, etc. as well as Marx Bros. movies and the like. We just don't dig modern TV anymore, and got rid of it years ago in fact. We create our own programming these days, commercial/political free ;) I don't know of any board out here, not sure about the rest of the web though. Happy watching man!

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have spent too much time lately watching old TV and movies. Like, pre-1980. I've been on a kick of 1950s Alfred Hitchcock Presents lately - B&W half-hour shows - and have lately viewed a few Columbo episodes. Just watched "His Kind of Woman", a 1951 RKO drama starring Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Vincent Price and Raymond Burr - totally wacked-out in its sudden shifts between brutal crime drama and nutty comedy.

Fellow movie nuts: is there a board you recommend for detailed discussion of these old flicks? Thanks for any replies.
Not a discussion site, per se.....but an invaluable source is IMDB, the Internet Movie Data-Base website. They have reference info on movie and TV shows, with synopses and cast listings.....and even general review ratings. The cable channels AMC and TCM also have websites with great information.
I enjoy a LOT of older TV shows and films, although in hindsight, they're often "flawed", corny, and even poorly written and acted. Using your example of Columbo.....I enjoyed those "first-run" years ago, but today they're very formulaic and one-dimensional. But then....I've grown to dislike "quirkiness" just for the sake of "quirkiness". ;)

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm almost afraid to see what it became but there was a spin off forum from Acoustic Forum called Wharf In Exile where any topic was allowed. The point here is that place allowed discussions that would stress the moderators and rules of other forums.

The nice guy who started that passed away, a few who are or were members here and other guitar forums tried to keep things going but a few who persisted with too nutty for nuts and anger seemed to make it poop out.

A friend who hosted an anything can be discussed forum gave up when no one wanted to contribute to the hosting cost.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Spent some time visiting a friend in a nursing home. A lot of the old guys spend their time watching old westerns like Bonanza, Cheyenne, Wagon Train etc. That's what it comes down to. Any fans here?

Am I the only one who is worried what it says when my viewing habits match a nursing home's?

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
Thanks, nojazzhere, for the tip re IMDB. Many viewer reviews are there for the bizarre flick I cited, "His Kind Of Woman", which must be seen to be believed. Especially the last part, where gangster Burr tortures Mitchum while a comical Vincent Price spouts Shakespeare and rows to the rescue with a crew of clownish Hispanic-stereotype policemen. Also features Jane Russell singing two songs and showing much skin.

HaWE

Tele-Meister
Spent some time visiting a friend in a nursing home. A lot of the old guys spend their time watching old westerns like Bonanza, Cheyenne, Wagon Train etc. That's what it comes down to. Any fans here?
Oh yeah,great great fan ! I watch a lot DVDs of old series like Bonanza,Gunsmoke,Yancy Derringer and so on... also the "M-Squad" with Lee Marvin...all the series from the time I was a child.... my latest series is "Bronco", which I realy liked when it was on german tv in the 60s.

HaWE

Tele-Meister
I’ve been watching the early Gunsmoke series, the ones with Chester instead of Festus (who I greatly prefer).

But I will say this-the bad guys were badder in the early ones.
I have the "newer" gunsmoke-dvds with Festus and I have the impression that the stories changed in some kind over the years... there was not more so much shooting going on as in the earlier series....

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire

edit it is more for B movies, but there is a board, and i don't think the members there are too picky and they will chat about anything.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

On a related note....I just saw that TCM is showing Places in the Heart this evening at 7 PM, C.S.T. Not "noir" or mystery.....but an INCREDIBLE touching film. If you seen it before, you know what I mean, and probably want to see it again. If you've never seen it, I consider it a "must view". ;););)

zimbo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I kind of like Wagon Train. Each episode tells a different story. However in just about all the old westerns the good guys were really good and the bad guys were pretty bad.

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
Watch old westerns and and a few older show reruns. I told my wife the other day - can you imagine Matt Dillon dealing with Chester, Festus and Barney Fife as a deputy on an episode or 2.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
hush,hush, sweet charlotte, what ever happened to baby Jane and Zorba the Greek 3 really great BW movies from the 60's well worth watching right up there with Psyco

I havent watched TV in about 5 years

esseff

Friend of Leo's
In the UK we get Channel 81, Talking Movies. Most of the showings are classic films from the '40s, '50s '60s and '70s, often in atmospheric black and white. Great stuff! No over-the-top special effects or violent blood and snot scenes either. 24 hour viewing, which is great for us old dudes who don't sleep regular hours.

gpw5150

Tele-Meister
Old war films and and classic westerns!!

Battle of the River Plate
Tora Tora Tora
Etc etc