1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommendations for humbucker kits

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by thecableguy, Mar 10, 2013.

1. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Hey guys, I'm going to be winding my own pickups for my strat build. I was looking at Stew Mac and Mojotone's PAF style kits. Are these decent? Any others you'd recommend?

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I highly recommend Mojotones PAF kits. Everything goes together and fits as it should. The quality is very good. They also have options for buterate bobbins, ( the original material) and threaded baseplates. Neither of these items in my estimation will improve tone but will make the pickup appear more "period correct". I will be posting a complete PAF build thread this weekend to assist all the LP building folks who have not wound a humbucker before.

Rob

3. Chocklit_Thunda

Chocklit_Thunda TDPRI Member

Mojotone +1

Magnets from addictionFX
    They stock A2's to A8's and even ceramics

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have not used Mojotone kits, but I will say that Stew Mac's come with a good instruction sheet, that on my first couple of winds, was very helpful. Good quality, also. Probably more costly that MT's. . . .

5. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on all of this - Mojotone also has a variety of size options for making various sized humbuckers too.

BTW - if you are getting a few magnets and want them charged and ready to go when you get them (highly advised) I would get them from All Star Magnetics http://allstarmagnetics.com/. I don't think they have a minimum order, but you will need to either call them or request a quote. The are fast, inexpensive, have every magnet you can think of and sell the best magnets well charged that I have found - just tell them that you are putting it in a humbucker and they will hook you up with the right stuff magnitized correctly.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

My first pups last year were pretty inexpensive to make. I bought my magnets from addiction FX, wire from Remington Industries of which can be found on Ebay, and started out with making my own flatwork, using dead and some live import pickups. I cut out the old wire, disassembled them, cleaned up the wax, and then rewound them. It is a cheaper way to get into it. Ebay has many parts too.

I heartily recommend using the brass eyelets available online and with stewmac. With humbuckers, the only thing I found that was sometimes a negative is that occasionally the screw pole piece holes in the bottom plates would need to be bigger, so they needed to be drilled out. I was replacing metric screws with #5-40 ones once I started to use new bobbins.
    Allparts also sells pickup winding parts.

7. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Haven't ever used them, but mojotone is pretty much the cheapest out there. You can also buy all the parts separately from them, which might be handy if you lose or break something.

8. thecableguy

Thanks very much for the replies and recommendations fellas. Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond earlier. I think I'll probably go with the Mojotone kits since they seem to have more flexibility than the StewMac kits. I also read that the StewMac kits only have one pole piece spacing, and that they are normally a bit off in the bridge position. Are the Mojotone kits similar or better in this regard? Is it even an issue?

Rob - I'm looking forward to your thread!

9. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

String spacing isn't really a terrible problem. Just look at the original p-90s. they were all 50mm.

10. thecableguy

Yeah I was googling some LP pics and it looks like the spacing is the same between the neck and bridge. The strings on the bridge pups look slightly off from the strings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.