1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommendations for electric 12-string?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bonzo898, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

crazydave911 and srblue5 like this.
  2. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

I’m in the market too... it’s hard to see past the Rickenbacker but that’s definitely about the mystique / cool factor rather than the guitar itself. I don’t think the narrow neck would bother me: on the other hand I don’t really like 4-knob controls and the Rics have 5, so why am I interested??
    Once the shops are open again I will try to play a Reverend and a Ric and a Dano... summary of my investigations so far:
    • Ric: classic, good looking, expensive, narrow neck, comfortable 10” radius, 5 knobs
    • Reverend: not much cachet, medium weird looking (imho), cheaper, wide neck, 12” radius, 3 knobs
    • Dano: classic, medium ugly, cheaper, medium neck, 12” radius (?), 2 knobs (except the ones with awful concentric knobs), is ‘classic’ status an excuse for not making your guitar out of proper wood??
    • Fender Electric XII: classic, attractively ugly, medium neck, 9.5” radius, vintage are absurdly expensive and new ones hard to find, 2 knobs
    • Strat XII: classic, pretty - especially those with a matching headstock, narrowish neck, 9.5” radius, reasonable prices, 3 knobs (& dumb Strat control layout - I’d need to fix that!)
    • Squier Venus XII: classic but rare, good looking, medium neck(?), 9.5” radius (I think), reasonable prices but not many around
    The Gordon Smith is definitely worth considering too: never seen one of their 12-strings but the 6-strings are good.

3. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

There are many 12 strings that play better than a Rickenbacker, but none of them sound like a Rickenbacker.

VWAmTele likes this.
  4. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

5. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

PS. I have owned a Ric 330 12 string...it looked the dogs beelix but was an absolute nightmare to play due to the 41mm neck width....sold it after a few months.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

One thing to keep in mind in the "Ric v everything else" conversation is that the ric strings are reversed....most 12s are set up so the octave comes first as you strum down...with a ric you hit low-then octave...this is one of the things that give rics alot of their jangle...along with the toaster pickups....I had a 360-12 and a 370-12 with high gains.....I swapped the high gains for toasters....

I knew a guy with a Dano 12 who reversed the strings and at least to my ears it was indistinguishable from a ric 12...he also ran it thru a compressor. I know rics like compressors and would imagine other twelves would as well....

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My choice, if you can find one, is an Epiphone Elitist Riviera 12 string. Much like 335 12 string, these were made in Japan to be a mid line between lower priced Epis and higher priced Gibsons, the Elitists are very high quality instruments. Mine is equipped with Gibson Mini Humbuckers, and Grover mini tuners, is VERY stable tuning-wise. The minihums are a nice cross between humbucker girth and a single coil-esque sparkle and bite. The neck is more toward the 60s slim than a 50s club, and is very comfortable to play, IMHO. _625.JPG _626.JPG _627.JPG _628.JPG

8. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Totally agree on the compressor front. A big chunk of the Roger Mcguinn sound is a compressor. My GS sounds great on its own, but discovering compression took it to another level and now I rarely play the 12 string without.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

Sonic nirvana for me is my Ricky 660/12 through a Janglebox compressor. The wider neck on the 660 is so much nicer to play than the usual Ricky necks and with the fully intonatable 12 saddle bridge you've got a guitar that's in tune right up the neck.

tweeet and Wayne Alexander like this.
  10. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

I replaced the nut on my 370-12 with one from a 330-12....which is spaced slightly wider because the 330 neck is not bound....that fraction of a micron in width made a significant difference....for $9, ten minutes work and overnight for glue to dry...

The 330-12 nut is very close to what you'd get if you had a luthier cut a custom 360/370-12 "wide" nut....I understand that Ric has now made the 330-12 nut standard on all their semi hollow 12 strings.

I have a jangle box but only use it rarely. It requires a different wall wart than virtually every other pedal; its positive and negative inputs are reversed and its not compatible with the power supply on my pedal board.... I found a wall wart from a cordless phone that worked....I also found that it was noisy...whether it was the inherent noise of a compressor, a gremlin in my guitar-amp, or background radiation from the big bang or a combination I dont know....but the hum was annoying....

I have a couple other compressors...a sow bug Ibanez, and an amazon $23 special...and both were actually much quieter...and they were compatible with the power supply on my pedal board.....

I understand the circuit in the Ric Mc Guinn guitars is based on the dyna comp.....

teletimetx likes this.
  11. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

Hi there, update to this thread:

I settled on a gently-used Reverend Airwave acquired via Reverb. This is a trio of firsts for me:

• First electric 12
    • First P-90 equipped guitar
    • First Reverend
    After a couple days of playing I have to say I couldn’t be happier. The guitar is very easy to play with low action and Gibson scale length. There is enormous tonal flexibility from fat dark to bright/jangly with the bass contour rolled off. The guitar resonates and sustains like a beast even unplugged. Reverend build quality is as good or better than my USA fender stuff.

Here’s a pic and sound sample:

Airwave into a VoxAC15 top boost with Xotic compressor, miked with SM57, reverb from my DAW

A1498B3B-A2E3-48F2-8865-62EBC06226A3.jpeg

12. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I have that Boca in black
    It's been 3 yrs and I'm still deciding if 12 string is really for me o_O

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. iamjethro

iamjethro TDPRI Member

Understand that. I really wanted my 12, then got it and after the new wore off, it is an occasion guitar. I only used it when the song needs it or I write specifically for it.

LeftFinger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.