1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommendations for electric 12-string?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bonzo898, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Used Hagström 12 strings pop up now and again. Wish I hadn’t distress-sold my Danelectro.

I own a Dean Boca 12 now. Good value for the money, reasonable tuning stability. Can jangle a bit with the right EQ and compressor settings.
    12F304AB-E4FB-4E21-8E81-AFFB3398E417.jpeg

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Has anyone played a Yamaha Pacifica 12-string? I used to ogle them in the Musician’s Friend catalogs when I was a teen.

[​IMG]

crazydave911, scelestus and bgmacaw like this.
  3. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

These look intriguing (Guild Starfire IV 12-ST), though I've never tried one. Nut is 1-11/16, however.

[​IMG]

crazydave911, rze99 and Fretting out like this.
  4. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

The Rev and Dano look like good options. Also Fender makes a strat style that would be in my A list.

I would love a Rick but not with the too-narrow neck and without toaster pickups. I played one a year or two ago and the strings were so close together I had trouble making cowboy chords.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

This Johnny Marr video gives me Gibson ES-335 12 string GAS. But, those are very expensive. If I were to buy a 12 string I'd probably build one like it using the kit from TheFretwire as a starting point. But, if I wanted on without building it would probably be the Danelectro.

crazydave911 and jayyj like this.
  6. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

The other thing to know about the Gibsons is they have the same 1 9/16ths nut as a late 60s six string, so anyone thinking Rics are a bit on the narrow side will be in for a nasty shock if they ever play a 335-12!

I had one of the Danelectros, they're really good guitars for the money and if it's a 12 string to have around for the occasional recording you can't go wrong with them. The only reason I sold mine was I found this old Harmony, which is far more impractical but off the charts cool and the sound of those good foils combined with a 12 string is magical. I wouldn't want to gig it, tuning stability not being its strong suit, but I use 12 strings a lot for recording so it gets a fair bit of play time.

[​IMG]

crazydave911 and bgmacaw like this.
  7. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

Rickenbacker 660/12 or 1993 plus. These two models has wider neck (1.75”).

Wayne Alexander and stormsedge like this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

In the “supremely inexpensive” checkout aisle section, I present a Cozart I picked up on Fleabay. At $125usd shipped, I didn’t expect much, but it is finished nicely and does electric 12 string things well enough for the house. It has a wide neck. It is neck heavy/dives.

2D71D64D-56C6-4A60-8C7B-2CBBBD5A095F.jpeg C4B0AE5A-ABD5-4367-AB56-5325CAE6014B.jpeg E014C1B9-1A15-492D-B96F-C68A5A6BAD36.jpeg

Suits my purposes for the time being. Harley Benton has one that comes in <$400...I’d probably look hard at that one to replace this if I used it more. Happy Hunting.

Edit: Believe these guys also offered or offer guitar kits, too.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

54791B11-556E-4A57-A519-2AB5CCE369CC.jpeg

If you go for one of these check out the high e first, mine is REALLY close to the edge

AND! you can always win an “amount of screws in pickguard” contest!

10. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I got my Dano a year and a half ago for about $200. It sounds nice and does the job ( 3or 4 songs a gig) , not changed the strings yet , but curious to try the Pyramid strings recommended here by others

11. JB74

JB74 TDPRI Member

IMG_5247.jpg

Ronzo, mimmo, Tele295 and 4 others like this.
  12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I've never played an Airwave, but Reverend make some fantastic guitars. A treble-bleed is easy to install in any guitar you'd like, though (and not every guitar needs one).

I recently spent some time playing one of the recent Fender Electric XII's at Guitar Center (I've been eyeballing one for a while). I didn't have time to dial in a sound I liked on the amp, but the guitar itself felt really good and easy to play. I'll be going back to play it some more.

I imagine the 12-string Strats would be of similar quality. They tend to come up for pretty decent prices used.

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

As a nearly full-time double-course player (see avatar) who is also 6' 4", I would also recommend Danelectro. It looks like they've discontinued the 12SDC which is the one I've played the most but really any of the ones currently on offer look pretty great. The Gotoh-style saddles allow for individual intonation adjustments of each string, I have liked the neck, and I think the Danelectros sound the best. Ric's look amazing but need at least a compressor and special strings to get in the zone. I was really disappointed by the new Fender XII. D'angelico makes a 12 that is ok. But for no hassle great sound and playability I don't see anyting else new that can match the Dano....

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

I have a Rickenbacker 660 6 string and love it, so if I could justify spending over £2000 on a 660 12 string I would. But I can't. So...I bought a Revelation RJT60 ...it had a 50mm nut which was too wide for me so I shaved the neck either side to bring it to a 46mm and for me plays much easier. I use it through an Egnater Tweaker 15w and custom made Eminence GA 2x10 cab along with a Janglebox compressor. It's a very versatile 12 string...really cool looking with a filter switch. The newer models have a new bridge design as there were problems with the older one. My bridge broke so I bought a new one and placed a block in it so rendering the tremolo useless (why it has a tremolo god knows). You can pick them up at a good second hand price.

[​IMG] with new bridge

upload_2021-2-15_13-15-28.jpeg 660 / 12 with 44mm nut

15. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

If you were in the UK I’d say a Gordon Smith. You can pretty much specify what you want so long as you don’t mind a brass nut. They are custom built so there’s a wait involved.
    I had mine since the mid 90s 339E4B4F-0219-4217-A6B4-332796BB57E3.jpeg

mimmo and AAT65 like this.
  16. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I see the Danos used all the time and am tempted.

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Back in the 90's I saw these reviewed in Guitarist. I think that they retailed at about £300 new. Reviews were great (though how many guotars get poor reviews in the music press). About ten years ago when looking for a 12 I scoured the UK market for one of these to tide me over until a 660/12 came along. In six months nothing appeared, until a couple of months afer I bought the Burns Double Six.

I briefly played one of these when someone turned up with one at a festival I was running sound for. I only played it acoustically so cannot say how it wsounds through an amp, but it was nice to play.

Never played a Gordon Smith 12, but I do have five GS guitars. Mine were all bought used, but you can have a great guitar built to your own specification for very reasonable money.

18. teleman14

teleman14 Tele-Meister

I just got a Rhomco 12string tele, and can’t recommend it enough. It’s like a custom shop guitar. The guy is a member here. They pop up on reverb once in a while too

19. iamjethro

iamjethro TDPRI Member

I have a Boca in amber color. It does what I need very inexpensively. This guy agrees:

LeftFinger likes this.
  20. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I also have a 2004 GS-1 bought used. Really one of the nicest necks I’ve played. My 12 uses pretty much the same profile, maybe a little wider - I’ve not measured it but still a real nice instrument to play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.