1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommendations for electric 12-string?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bonzo898, Feb 14, 2021.

1. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

Greetings,

I’m planning on buying an electric 12-string soon and since I don’t plan on playing a bunch of them first it’s going to be solely based on internet research. I’m open-minded to anything as far as budget within reason. I know the Rickenbacker is the classic choice but I have concerns about the narrow nut width for playability and versatility (I’m 6’6” with large hands). I want something sturdy that holds tuning, neck angle, and intonation well. I want to use for recording and light gigging.

So far my frontrunner is this Reverend Airwave. It looks killer and allows individual intonation adjustment for all 12 strings. Also like the treble bleed. Price is reasonable at least compared to a Ricky ($1200 new):

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/airwave-12-string

Open to other suggestions as I have never actually played an electric 12-string although I do own a 12-string acoustic.

Thanks in advance

2. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

Fender xii ?

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I believe EVERY gigging guitarist should own an electric twelve string at some point in their lives. Twenty or so years ago I had a MIJ Fender Strat Twelve......and it sounded great. Perfect for many of the covers my band at the time played.....once I got it tuned. I found it took longer to tune than to play the song I was tuning it for.
    My solution now? A "good enough" pedal, The DigiTech Mosaic 12 String Effect pedal. It's a very convincing 12 string sound, easy to control, and I'm just tuning six strings. Your other choices may work great in a studio setting, (all the time in the world, right?) but for gigging, the Mosaic is MY only choice. ;)

drmordo likes this.
  4. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Don't forget about Danos!

5. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Afflicted

Get a Gibson EDS 1275. Comes with a free 6 string.

6. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Fender Alternate Reality Electric XII

7. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

I think the Danelectro 12 string has been the best deal out there for many years.

8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Dano 12, under 5 bills, sounds amazing & stays in tune for a little while. half a set or so.

9. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I have tried a few Ricks, and agree that the necks are too narrow to play well. That said many people do manage, but not me. The 660/12 has a slightly wider neck, but they are expensive and rare here in the UK.

I do have two electric 12's. I bought a Burns Double Six (Club series made in China) it is a bit ungainly with the long headstock, but the neck is wide and easy to play. It sounds okay, but does not shimmer the way I expect a 12 string to sound. I'm told that compression is the answer, but have not tried it out. The Burns is only about £800 complete with hard case, and can be found in the UK from £400 used.

upload_2021-2-14_19-11-42.jpeg

The other 12 have is a Jackson Surfcaster, which sounds great, to me it beats any Rick I have tried, but like the Rick it had a narrow neck. Once the current COVID situation is over I should really sell. They have not made them since the late 90's, and used surfcasters usually sell for somewhere north of £1000. Though the Eastman version is availabe new for £8-900.

upload_2021-2-14_19-12-8.jpeg

VWAmTele, jayyj and Zepfan like this.
  10. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Holic

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Get ye one of these.....1967 Hofner 457-12. :)
    For a while it was my only electric guitar that was not a bass. I used it as a 6 string strung with Fender lights, strung with 2 sets of Fender lights (strings doubled - no octaves) - talk about organic chorus! And also as a normal 12 string. I like that the octave string on the lower courses is above the regular string (unlike Rics where it is below) so it rings more to my ears. No tuning problems and a zero fret. Still use it today, though it is fragile - hollow body and a bit aged. Like me. :)

Model 457-12.jpg

11. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

Lots of good suggestions. The fender XII wasn’t on my radar yet, same for the pedal route.

The Dano is on the table, it just seems like the Rev was a very big upgrade in quality and features, locking tuners, etc. I want something I won’t feel like upgrading or modding later.

Now I’m thinking I should definitely go gently used if I’m buying without live testing. Otherwise I will eat the depreciation hit if it’s not what I expected.

Anyone tried the Gretsch Electromatic 12?

12. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Well, I'm selling this Italia Rimini. Look into them and PM me if you're interested. It has seen very little use and is basically in new condition. 12 string electrics just aren't my thing.

IMG_1657.jpg

13. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I built one from a fairly common kit. It has a neck like a telegraph pole, doesn't stay in tune for long, but for the few songs I can bash out on it, it is wonderful. If you want something to do, it may be a route for you.
    Other than that, Danelectro all the way.

DSCF0596.JPG

VWAmTele likes this.
  14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'd definitely recommend a Dano as well. Great value for the money.

15. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

Eastwood has a couple models as well, solid and semi-hollow. Never tried either, but the one Eastwood I own is solid and great bang for your bucks.

16. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

@bonzo898, your selection looks as good as anything. Reverend makes a good guitar, and they may be on to something with the shorter scale. Years ago I decided to get an Ibanez Strat style 12 string. A few years later I replaced the original pickups with Lace Alumnitones. I have yet to play a 12 string that sounds better and begs me to replace the Ibanez. Add to that, I rarely actually have the 12-string out (either acoustic or electric), and getting another is unlikely.

I tried a couple of Rickenbackers and found the necks too narrow for me. The couple of Dano 12s I have had a chance to play were nice as well.

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

You say you play an acoustic 12, you must know of all the different stringing and tuning options for them. Some of that comes over to the electric world. My suggestion is to people contemplating a 12 is to think carefully what sound you want from it and how you will play it.

I also believe that there is enough difference between guitars that to buy onw without playing makes little sense. Here is the one I built for my son

IMG_6254-1.jpg

18. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Has anyone ever tried a Fender Coronado XII?

crazydave911 and Tele295 like this.
  19. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dano with pyramid flats will be the economical route.
    Love mine!!

crazydave911 and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  20. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I played the Gretsch and a couple of Rics before buying my Dano. It was a nice guitar but unless you want the look or feel it seems like a big jump in price.

I have not felt the urge to upgrade to a Ric, and the Dano has been really stable.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.