recommendations for a tele bridge pickup hot enough to pair with fender atomic humbuckers?

naneek

Tele-Holic
I'm looking for a very hot telecaster bridge pickup that will pair well with a set of fender atomic humbuckers from a mexican toronado. Those are very hot, like 16k.

I would be using the fender atomic humbucker set as my neck and middle position, with the hot tele pickup in the bridge position.

Sort of a 3 pickup SG custom setup with a tele bridge pickup.

Does anybody have any recommendations or experience with this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was thinking about a hot seymour duncan stacked humbucker "noiseless" tele bridge pickup.

I've often seen that SD single coils are not compatible with stock fender single coils in terms of polarity.

Would this be a problem with a set of fender atomic humbuckers from a mexican toronado and a seymour duncan stacked humbucker telecaster pickup?

My assumption is that with all 3 pickups being humbuckers, it wouldn't matter.

Thanks all,
-naneek

Last edited:

naneek

Tele-Holic
Is this the kind of situation where I would need to go to the seymour duncan custom shop or other custom wound pickups for something specifically built to work with my fender atomic humbucker set?

if so, what kind of information would they need about my fender pickup set?

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Honestly, due to SD's deliberate effort to make their PUs incompatible with Fender, I will never buy another one.

My suggestion is, rather than try to figure it out, but from a PU maker who isn't ****ty.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Polarity might not be as big of a problem as phasing.

The Fenders must have played well together. You can reverse the wires on the SD to compensate.

I did it with a SD Hot Stack bridge and a Fender single coil neck pickup.

Hook it up, see what happens. Experimenting is half the fun of this thing called guitar.

naneek

Tele-Holic
Polarity might not be as big of a problem as phasing.

The Fenders must have played well together. You can reverse the wires on the SD to compensate.

Hook it up, see what happens. Experimenting is half the fun of this thing called guitar.
Thanks for the tips spudcaster. I'm trying to keep the budget for the project on the reasonable side of things, so I should probably restrain myself from rolling the dice on a ~$100 pickup.

You know what would happen if I bought a pickup that didn't work out for the project... I'd have to build a whole 'nother guitar to go with the pickup!

Honestly, due to SD's deliberate effort to make their PUs incompatible with Fender, I will never buy another one.

My suggestion is, rather than try to figure it out, but from a PU maker who isn't ****ty.
Thanks for the input Dr. Mordo, definitely a reasonable suggestion.
Any thoughts on other options?

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the input Dr. Mordo, definitely a reasonable suggestion.
Any thoughts on other options?

It's a bit controversial here (mostly because they overcharge on shipping), but I love GFS PUs. I have bought a bunch and all have been great EXCEPT for the "Brighton Rock" strat PUs which sound ok but nothing like actual Burns PUs.

I have never heard them, but on paper those Atomic humbuckers look hot. It may be impossible to get them to balance with a single coil Tele bridge PU.

So, I personally, I would get the GFS overwound Fatbody PU. I have the standard wound version and it is a great PU. If you really want noiseless, you could try this one (which I have not tried at all) or the hottest version of this one (which I have tried). The rail PU is pretty good, but has a much more 'humbucker' sound than a single coil Tele PU. That said, it may be a good fit with your Atomics.

Another option is contact Bootstrap PUs or Rob from Cavalier and discuss with them what you need. They are small shops with tons of great reviews here, so they might be able to sort you out with a custom wind.

I'd love to see pics of the guitar when it is done.

Here's my guitar with the Fatbody in it, coincidentally it is paired with a noiseless PU like yours might be.

esquireish 2.jpg

naneek

Tele-Holic
It's a bit controversial here (mostly because they overcharge on shipping), but I love GFS PUs. I have bought a bunch and all have been great EXCEPT for the "Brighton Rock" strat PUs which sound ok but nothing like actual Burns PUs.

I have never heard them, but on paper those Atomic humbuckers look hot. It may be impossible to get them to balance with a single coil Tele bridge PU.

So, I personally, I would get the GFS overwound Fatbody PU. ...
Another option is contact Bootstrap PUs or Rob from Cavalier and discuss with them what you need. They are small shops with tons of great reviews here, so they might be able to sort you out with a custom wind.

Here's my guitar with the Fatbody in it, coincidentally it is paired with a noiseless PU like yours might be.

View attachment 1005932
Cool guitar, is that a lace sensor in the neck position?

Cavalier is a great suggestion, I know they make some pretty hot pickups and coil tapped single coils. That might be cool for different voicing options. I could get something hot enough to pair with the atomics, and a vintage output voicing as well.

I have had mixed results with GFS pickups. I really like the tone from their lipstick tube pickups. I also have a mean90 pickup and it sounds pretty bad with uneven string volume no matter how you set the polepieces. I may have gotten a defective one, when I tested with a multimeter it read incomplete circuit I think. I think the coil is shorted or something.

I have used some of their hardware with great results, especially the teisco style surface mount tremolo. That thing is awesome I can't recommend it highly enough.

Last edited:

naneek

Tele-Holic
olarity might not be as big of a problem as phasing.

Now that I thought about it for a minute, this is a really good point.

A stacked humbucker has 4 conductor wiring, and so do the atomic pickups.
That should actually make it very easy to get everything in phase.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Cool guitar, is that a lace sensor in the neck position?

Cavalier is a great suggestion, I know they make some pretty hot pickups and coil tapped single coils. That might be cool for different voicing options. I could get something hot enough to pair with the atomics, and a vintage output voicing as well.

I have had mixed results with GFS pickups. I really like the tone from their lipstick tube pickups. I also have a mean90 pickup and it sounds pretty bad with uneven string volume no matter how you set the polepieces. I may have gotten a defective one, when I tested with a multimeter it read incomplete circuit I think. I think the coil is shorted or something.

I have used some of their hardware with great results, especially the teisco style surface mount tremolo. That thing is awesome I can't recommend it highly enough.

Yes, it's a light blue Lace Sensor, which I think is supposed to sound like Charlie Christian PU. Sounds amazing, and sounds great with the Fatbody. The idea with that guitar was for it to look like an Esquire but still have two pickups. That didn't really work out so well, so I recently bought all black hardware that I'm going to swap onto it. Everything on the guitar besides the strings will be black or white.

I'm sorry to hear about the mean90. I have not tried that one but it sounds defective. I've bought a ton of GFS Tele PUs and two sets of Strat PUs, and they all sounded great except the ones I mentioned above.

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister

So, I personally, I would get the GFS overwound Fatbody PU. I have the standard wound version and it is a great PU. If you really want noiseless, you could try this one (which I have not tried at all) or the hottest version of this one (which I have tried). The rail PU is pretty good, but has a much more 'humbucker' sound than a single coil Tele PU. That said, it may be a good fit with your Atomics.

View attachment 1005932
The fat body neck pickup is amazing.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
The fat body neck pickup is amazing.

I agree. I initially had them both in the guitar but wanted to try the light blue Sensor.

I need to do a pepsi challenge with the Fatbody PUs and standard Tele PUs to understand what they do. The Fatsos have sort of a 'hifi' quality that I love.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's

There is a Humongous Lion in the Classified section that might be exactly what you are looking for. If not, contact Rob and he can help you figure out your needs. One of the greatest things about Cavs is there is no upcharge for a custom wind.

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister
I agree. I initially had them both in the guitar but wanted to try the light blue Sensor.

I need to do a pepsi challenge with the Fatbody PUs and standard Tele PUs to understand what they do. The Fatsos have sort of a 'hifi' quality that I love.
They sound great pushed nearly against the strings and a Rat turned up pretty hard

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
With the exception of the Phoenix. Cavalier doesn't make a noiseless Tele bridge pickup.

Even though I have several Cavaliers that are pretty noiseless for a true single coil.

Is a noiseless pickup your only option? If not, the Humongous might be an option.

naneek

Tele-Holic
With the exception of the Phoenix. Cavalier doesn't make a noiseless Tele bridge pickup.

Even though I have several Cavaliers that are pretty noiseless for a true single coil.

Is a noiseless pickup your only option? If not, the Humongous might be an option.
I was thinking about a tapped humongous lion.

I actually ended up buying the billy gibbons model noiseless telecaster bridge pickup on the tdpri classifieds. I figure that coil splitting will give me similar options to the tapped single, with the added advantage of hum cancelation in humbucker mode.

Plus, the BG1400 pickup is wound to like 30k so I know it will hold its own with the atomic humbuckers. The atomic bridge pickups can be up to 16k and it's the loudest pickup I have ever played, so it will sound even louder in the middle position where the strings can vibrate more freely.

I have an original 98 toronado and love it. I found a set of 04 toronado pickups for $45 and snapped them up. I love the toronado and the stock pickups, but the bridge atomic can be a little nasal sounding. I figure that atomic will sound better and funkier as a middle pickup. I can get more use out of a tele bridge pickup because I mostly play fingerpicking.

So the project became a super hot 3 pickup SG custom with a tele bridge pickup. Gibson design meets fender pickups. This is definitely going to be a rock n roll guitar.

I'll go with cavalier for something more traditional, it sounds like they do a great job with classic vintage style fender reproductions.

naneek

Tele-Holic
I'm thinking of getting creative with the wiring. All 3 pickups have 4 conductor leads for coil splitting. Each pickup could have it's own 3 position tele switch (off, on, coil split).

Or a 5 position strat switch (off, on humbucker, coil split 1, coil split 2, humbucker out of phase). It's probably overkill but it sounds like fun.

It will feel very familiar but have a ridiculous number of combinations.

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
Revel Humdinger. Ask for one with Alnico V magnets, and as much 43 gauge wire he can get on there. It also looks like a correct Tele pickup. And will sound a little something like it too.

And if you don't care about humbucking, get the Hog with the extra large Alnico 5 magnets and 43 gauge wire. Jesse over there is currently making one of these for me wound to 14k and with a copper shielding wrap to clone the Schecter F520T bridge pickup that Mark Knopfler used in Dire Straits.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Can you explain this? I'm truly in the dark on this.

"Here’s the catch …yeah, we all knew there was a catch. Life’s never that easy. If you’re using pickups from the same manufacturer it’s pretty straightforward to match wind and polarity. They are all designed to work together. A Seymour Duncan single coil pairs perfectly with a Seymour Duncan RWRP single coil. Unfortunately, this is not true if you mix and match pickups from different manufacturers. One manufacturer’s idea of a standard single coil might be another’s idea of a RWRP, and vise versa.

The most common scenario in which the above comes to bear is when combining Seymour Duncan single coils and Fender single coils. It all started when Seymour decided to base his single coils on the original Fender single coils from the 1950’s, which were south, top going. At some point in the 60’s, Fender decided to change their single coils to be north, top coming. The end result is that Seymour’s regular pickups are equivalent to Fender’s RWRP, and vise versa. The only exception to this is the Antiquity Texas Hot; that’s because it’s an accurate re-creation of the “new” style of Fender pickup.

This isn’t really a big deal, as long as you’re prepared for it. Let’s say, for example, you are replacing the bridge pickup in your Fender Strat with a SSL-5 Custom Staggered (great choice by the way!), but you’ve decided you want to keep the stock Fender middle and neck pickups. Since you want your notch position tone to be hum canceling and in phase, you will want to make sure your SSL-5 has the opposite wind and polarity of your Fender middle pickup. This means you will be needing an RWRP SSL-5. It might seem weird to order an RWRP pickup for the bridge, but if you want it to hum cancel with that Fender single coil, that’s what you’ll have to do. Either that, or you can just replace all the pickups with Duncans … it certainly wouldn’t hurt."

from

I'm sure SD fans will argue with me ad nauseum, but IMO he deliberately wound his PUs in reverse of Fender (and most other companies) in a lame ploy to force people to buy a full set of SDs. Just look at the comments in that link - they are full of people who didn't know better and bought a PU that is out of phase and won't hum cancel with their existing PUs.