Recommendations for a hi-build sanding sealer?

telewhacked

TDPRI Member
Title pretty much says it all.

I've been using Deft lacquer sanding sealer, but I want to switch over to a hi-build sanding sealer with more solids in it. Something that fills defects easier and builds up quicker.

For you guys using hi-build sanding sealer, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Mar-Laq or Mar-Lac? Hi build sanding sealer, used to buy it in 5 gallon size. I worked building custom motor coaches for a good part of earlier years, and that’s pretty much what we got. Just a couple $.02cents, besides that Being a great product we also did a bunch of tests on clear topcoats, all lacquer based and Sinclair came out on top as far as not yellowing. They had done tests with a bunch of different products right before I joined on, With test pieces and they placed them on top the roof. This was back in the late 80s early 90s. Water white clear I think is they called it. A lot of solids in both of those products EDIT-I should add that I don’t know what anyone uses, how they use it, etc. Nowadays.

Last edited:

snarf_nyc

TDPRI Member
I've been using DEFT lacquer sanding sealer for a while and have been pretty happy. Sometimes I use white vinyl sealer on top of that if I'm doing a metallic finish.

I've heard of people using something called "simtec" sealer. I can't find it for sale, but they have a website.

Last edited:

telewhacked

TDPRI Member
Thanks.
I've been using Deft sanding sealer in the aerosol cans for a long time and find it lacking somewhat. I just bought a Fuji sprayer and want to start using a hi build sanding sealer with a higher solid content. A few guys over at Reranch say they use "Aqua Coat X-119 Hi-Build Sanding Sealer" exclusively and really like it. Its water based and not a lacquer.

They say it builds as quickly as top coats of clear do, is easy to sand, and has no issues being top coated with either nitro or acrylic lacquer.

The cheapest price I have found for it is about $27/ a quart. Seems a little pricey. How many solid body guitars should you be able to get out of a quart on average?

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Thanks.
I've been using Deft sanding sealer in the aerosol cans for a long time and find it lacking somewhat. I just bought a Fuji sprayer and want to start using a hi build sanding sealer with a higher solid content. A few guys over at Reranch say they use "Aqua Coat X-119 Hi-Build Sanding Sealer" exclusively and really like it. Its water based and not a lacquer.

They say it builds as quickly as top coats of clear do, is easy to sand, and has no issues being top coated with either nitro or acrylic lacquer.

The cheapest price I have found for it is about $27/ a quart. Seems a little pricey. How many solid body guitars should you be able to get out of a quart on average?
Sherwin Williams high build works well. $50 a gallon last time I bought it. Ask for a jobbers price or if you can open an account. It isn’t a line of credit, but it’s cheaper and streamlines future transactions

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Some builders use medium CA as a filler/sealer. You do it with a folded cotton pad or a little squeegee and plenty of ventilation.

The cool thing is it sets up fast, and all of it solidifies. Sanded to 220, just about every finish option bonds extremely well to it.

I've tried it and it works great.

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
I like Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer. It's the one Deft product that I do like.

Your sanding sealer shouldn't be doing a whole lot to "fill defects." It's a leveler and smoother, but it won't truly do the job of a filler of "defects," unless applied extremely thickly. If you have "defects," then use a filler. I suggest Bondo, if it's something big, and you will be applying an opaque finish.