1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommendations for a cheap(er) full-size acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by srblue5, Mar 8, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I work in health care and tend to have a lot of last minute cancellations and no-shows in my schedule. I've noticed that I tend to use that sudden spare time staring at a screen of some sort (usually to review related paperwork but - not gonna lie - also social media), which is probably not good for my own mental health (on top of other work- and home-related stress).

I'm considering getting a cheap full-size acoustic guitar (preferably OM/000-sized or smaller) to keep in my office (or the trunk of my car when I'm working at different sites) so that I can do something more mentally stimulating and emotionally meaningful when I have last minute cancellations and no-shows.

Any recommendations?

I'm avoiding travel-size guitars since I have a lot of space in my car and office(s) and would like something that feels familiar-ish. I used to own a Martin Backpacker that was fun until the novelty wore off and I realized it didn't sound or feel very good to play.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Martin makes their X series with solid spruce tops and composite back and sides in 00 and 000 sizes. They sound like a Martin, and the latest series now have wood fretboards and bridges instead of Richlite, although Richlite doesn't bother me. The latest ones also include a nice gig bag. There's also the great sounding all solid Dreadnought Jr. and 000 Jr., that also include a nice gig bag. Don't get one with the HPL top, only the one with a solid spruce top. The ones with HPL tops don't sound nearly as good, and don't cost much less.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  3. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I never thought I’d have a reason to do this, but I’d probably recommend one of the Martin X series guitars.

Used, they’re not terribly expensive, and once you mentioned leaving it in the trunk, my mind immediately went to the weird Martin plastic stuff. I’d never leave a real wood guitar in the trunk. This way you’d have the Martin vibe with less of the risk and cost.

Also, being at work, I presume you don’t need the loudest guitar around.

Twang Deluxe and ale.istotle like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a Martin owner, and also fan of the guitars they make with alternative materials ( and construction).

Because much in the same way Fender can put their classic Fender Clean w/Reverb tone into SS amps, Martin does the same with the X Series-they sound like Martins, IMO.

Good volume, full well-balanced tone, comfy to play, look like Mahogany-bodied Martins...

Get one ( 000 or D) with a solid Spruce top, and basic pickup.

Yamaha and Seagulls are great too, but I dig Martins!

Twang Deluxe and DougM like this.
  5. DougM

They actually come with other looks on the HPL too- rosewood, koa, and ebony, on some models anyway.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Some folks hate them because they are not traditional.

But neither was my '93 D-1 ( laminated sides, not X-braced, inside/bolt-on neck and glued too) and we have done 1000 gigs together. Fantastic!

So my guitar model literally was the Guinea pig model for Martin to go into the budget lines- "1 Series", Road Series, later X... so I'm loyal, I guess

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

YAMAHA. LS6 or similar.

And actually, I recently played one of those Taylor “Academy Series 12” models. That’s a lot of guitar for $500. I was impressed.

DjimiWrey, Drew617, Chuckster and 2 others like this.
  8. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Tele-Meister

I have a Yamaha F-335 that was given to me, available on Craigslists the world over for barely more than a hundred bucks, and it's better than it has any right to be.

Plus I get to say, "Yeah, I've got a 335, gift from a female friend..... no big deal, y'know" and it's technically true.

9. DougM

I was skeptical of the X series until I played one, and then I said "ok, I'm sold. It sounds like a Martin". I had the D1R, with rosewood back and sides, and I wish I still had it. The 1 series bracing was some of the lightest they ever made, which made them really lively and full sounding, even more so than some of their more expensive rosewood models, which seem more dependent on whether you get one with the right pieces of wood. Since I worked at the #1 Martin dealer here for 14 years I've had a chance to play dozens of every model, and some HD28s, D35s, HD35s, and D41s, and smaller bodies too, were nothing that special and some were magic. And, the best thing they did was forward shifting the braces on the new standard D28, and scalloping them on the 000-28,'cause before they were always too thin and stiff IMO, but now they're awesome. Before they redid the 000-28, the OM21 blew it away for less money. I'm not real big on mahogany, but the new D18 is also awesome. Finally, the new 16 series with rosewood back and sides are the best bang for the buck in a rosewood guitar IMO.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Yamaha or Godin family (Seagull, Norman, Simon and Patrick, Art and Lutherie, Godin Metropolis).

11. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

I'm gonna mention Teton guitars. Not very well known but if you can find one at least try it. They offer a parlor with solid top for not much money. They sound great and look great!! Here's a picture of mine not a parlor but dang it plays good. IMG_0570.PNG IMG_0576.jpg IMG_0579.jpg

Mark617, JL_LI, Cali Dude and 2 others like this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Blueridge guitars are great sounding, and inexpensive.
    You might consider one.

13. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

I would keep it in the office though I don't think the trunk of the car is actually a good environment for a guitar

P Thought, Jakedog and Steve Holt like this.
  14. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

This is where I would look, too, if I were in your shoes, srblue5. Affordable and well-made. Seems like most of the Godins are cedar top which have a warmer sound. My Seagull is a spruce top that I found on Craigslist cheap. It’s my favorite player.

Steve Holt and northernguitar like this.
  15. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Red label Yamahas are still pretty cheap. I used to have a FG-160 and it was a very rugged guitar, no doubt due to the laminate top. But it sounded surprisingly good, stayed in tune and I never worried about banging it up. I often kept it in the back seat. I see Fg-180's going for $500-600 on Craigslist.

M2roadwarrior and Chuckster like this.
  16. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

Yamaha, Seagull, Furch

Chuckster and northernguitar like this.
  17. peeweepete

peeweepete Tele-Meister

Yamaha FG800M
    Cheap but still a decent guitar for not a lot of money. Frets on mine needed some polishing. Apart from that I am very happy with it.

Chuckster and northernguitar like this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

I've only played them in passing ( a few folks that had them at bluegrass jams) but the 'reimagined' D-18's and D-28's from the Standard Series were just fantastic players, sounded great.

Just for nostalgic reasons, I'd like to find an 000-1 someday to match my D-1.

Or maybe get the 000-X ( whatever its called, that is similar, cheaper), for a an almost match

DougM and Chuckster like this.
  19. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I bought a Godin Metropolis Classic QIT last Spring. Spruce top, solid ‘hog, onboard preamp, richlite fretboard (which I REALLY like) and came with the best case I’ve ever used. CDN$995+tax. A poor man’s Martin.

[​IMG]

20. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

FAA2B423-1AEC-44B0-9FB9-61D4872C1AA9.jpeg I got this epi from Sweetwater for less than 300 and it came with a small acoustic amp, plays great and sounds great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.