Recommendation on DIY Patch Cable Raw Material

Cody_J

Tele-Meister
Hey everyone! I hope this is the right place to post this (my apologies if there's a better place).

I have built/soldered a few of my own general guitar cables over the years, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for their favorite pedal-to-pedal patch cable raw materials. Specifically, the cable itself as well as the connectors. I have tended towards stuff on Redco's website in the past, and tried a few different things. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any specific suggestions for this type of project (custom wiring a new pedalboard).

The two top priorities for this project are low noise and low profile.

Thanks everyone in advance!

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
IMO it depends on whether you care about getting low capacitance cables or not. If you don't care I'd recommend using Canare GS-6 with any standard, reliable jack (I usually use switchcraft, but have used and like SquarePlug and Neutrik). It's good quality (Japan made), flexible, has good shielding, is easy to work with and is relatively inexpensive.

As far as low capacitance stuff goes I've used George L's and it's fine and easy to use, but kind of pricey. If I was to make low capacitance cables again I'll probably try the Sommer Spirit LLX, but I've never actually used it.

So yeah.

Cable: Canare GS-6
Plug: Switchcraft (226/228/280/380) or Squareplug (SPS6/SP600)

Edit: I didn't really think of low profile. But Canare makes a smaller cable called the GS-4. And Squareplug's stuff is very good for tight spaces. Just make sure you match the connector to the cable diameter (I think they have 3 different sizes for that (SP400, 500, 600 etc).

Last edited:

Cody_J

Tele-Meister
IMO it depends on whether you care about getting low capacitance cables or not. If you don't care I'd recommend using Canare GS-6 with any standard, reliable jack (I usually use switchcraft, but have used and like SquarePlug and Neutrik). It's good quality (Japan made), flexible, has good shielding, is easy to work with and is relatively inexpensive.

As far as low capacitance stuff goes I've used George L's and it's fine and easy to use, but kind of pricey. If I was to make low capacitance cables again I'll probably try the Sommer Spirit LLX, but I've never actually used it.

So yeah.

Cable: Canare GS-6
Plug: Switchcraft (226/228/280/380) or Squareplug (SPS6/SP600)

Edit: I didn't really think of low profile. But Canare makes a smaller cable called the GS-4. And Squareplug's stuff is very good for tight spaces. Just make sure you match the connector to the cable diameter (I think they have 3 different sizes for that (SP400, 500, 600 etc).
Excellent! Thanks for the tip. I’ll check these out.