Recommendation for pickup up-grade

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Fhuelsbeck, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Fhuelsbeck

Fhuelsbeck NEW MEMBER!

Hello,

I just got my 1st tele, Indo Squier. I'm considering upgrading the pickups, but only have about $75. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Fred

2. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

What model do you have? All the pickups in my Indo Squier Bullet needed was a 500k volume pot to make them sound clear and chimey.

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Guitar Madness pickups are the absolute best bang for the buck. They make really cheap but great sounding alnico pickups, and they offer free shipping on ebay. I put a set of their vintage spec alnico Strat pickups ($25 a set) in my Am Pro Strat (a $1400 guitar), and they sound better than the stock pickups and some other more expensive ones that I tried, and brought that guitar back to life. IMO, they sound as good as any pickups I've heard at any price.

4. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

5. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Bootstrap, pretzels. Or GM the standard tele set

Tele56, DHart and nojazzhere like this.
  6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Here’s one approach, particularly when facing budget issues.

1. adjust pickup heights. Check it out, lower them, raise them, listen for any change you like. No cash required.

2. consider changing pot values, as mentioned above; maybe 4-5 dollar.

3. Many members here sing the praises of Bootstrap pickups. As mentioned above
    bootstrappickups.com $45-50 ish per set.

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ah..... a gold star community service award post.
    Thanks for the bottom feeder style tip.

TheGooch and tubegeek like this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've had very good luck with Guitar Madness pickups. I have a Premium Alnico set in my SX Strat-oid I used on this week's challenge backing track if you want to hear them in action. The other pickups I've bought from them have been humbuckers but I'm sure their Tele pickups are good too.

GFS also has good budget pickups although theirs are a bit more pricey, especially considering they don't offer free shipping. I have their Repro 50's Tele bridge and a Vintage P90 neck in my SX T-style.

9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Donlis get good reviews, about $40 a set? I'm also leaning towards trying some Bootstraps down the track, also Cavaliers. Second hand brings up many options, eg Texas Specials that are absolutely killing it in my Partscaster.

10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The dirty secret of the pickup business is that pickups aren't rocket science. They're basically just wire wrapped around magnets (or steel pole pieces with the magnets underneath). The trick is the design- type of wire, amount of wire, magnet type and strength, that all matters. Once you boil it down to a recipe though, you can crank 'em out in a factory. Sure the pickup gurus make fine products, but there's no reason you can't get a good sounding, low-cost, mass-produced pickup.

11. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

GFS. I’ve never tried any of their Tele pickups, but I put a set of their overwounds in one of my Strats and was seriously impressed. Well made and dirt cheap. I think I paid around 60 bucks

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

The GFS overwound repro alnico neck was excellent in my CV50! I put in coil sized rail buckers on my bridge.

Here was my demo:

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Another strong vote for Bootstrap Pretzel p'ups. As I've mentioned before, for MANY years I never liked the brittle, shrill sound of a Telecaster bridge pickup on its own......until, that is, I discovered the Pretzel set. Don't be fooled by their budget price, they're as good as anything out there. (and made in USA, great personal service and attention, and make your smile whiter and brighter)
    OK, I just made that last reason up.....but they ARE good. ;)

Tele56, DHart and SithTracy like this.
  14. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

FLEOR Alnico 5 Guitar Pickups Set Tele Bridge Pickup w/Neck Pickup (Chrome) Fit Fender Telecaster Pickups Part from Amazon. I have been VERY pleased with all the FLEOR pickups I have gotten. This set is $27 shipped Prime. They are a lot like a Tex Mex set at half the price. Actually the last Tex Mex Set I got was MISSING the Steel Base Plate from the BRidge Pickup, but these FLEOR pickups have it. They are a great Deal and even if you don't love them they were $27. NOT $270 that you can't get your money back on.

15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

FWIW, the low priced vintage style alnicos from Donlis, Musiclily, Artec, Stratosphere, Wilkinson, and Guitar Madness appear to be very similar if not identical good quality low priced alnicos out of China. They might even be made by the same people that make the great sounding new Squier CV alnicos.

CavalierX likes this.
  16. SithTracy

SithTracy TDPRI Member

+1 for Bootstrap... I've got the Pretzels and Palo Duros (to eventually try perhaps next string change). In my strat, I added the Sun City Selects... Been strumming the heck out of the Strat while under house arrest.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!

18. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

Without knowing what type of pickup you want, I would recommend the bootstrap palo duro set. I think they would be a great way to start (and probably end) your pickup journey. They are very sweet played clean and sound very good with overdrive. As beyer160 said, there isn't actually much that goes into making a pickup, and there is no reason why you cannot have an excellent pickup at bargain prices. Bootstrap in general is one of my favorite winders because he provides, IMO, boutique quality pickups at super bargain prices.

19. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

IMHO the answer is always Rob Di Stefano - Cavalier pick ups :cool:

You're welcome.

Tele56 and FenderGuy53 like this.
  20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I put Bootstrap and Cavalier in the same echelon: GREAT - I love them.

Your budget gets you a pair (neck and bridge pickups) from Bootstrap.

You can pick and choose individual pickups from Bootstrap's offerings, to suit your taste - you don't need to buy a pre-designed "set".

From Bootstrap I like the Pretzel neck pickup, combined with the "Original" bridge pickup - but that's my personal taste, yours may differ.

PRETZEL NECK PICKUP has A5 magnets and 42 AWG wire (typical for Tele neck is 43 AWG wire). This gives the pickup a bit more high end sparkle than many other neck position offerings. This pickup is quite similar to Fender's Twisted Tele neck pickup (taller bobbin for the thicker 42 AWG wire.)

BOOTSTRAP "ORIGINAL" BRIDGE PICKUP has A3 magnets and 42 AWG wire (42 AWG is typical for bridge pickups). The A3 magnets are slightly "softer", which I like at the characteristically "bright" bridge position. This pickup is similar to Fender's CS Nocaster bridge pickup.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.