Recommend top David Gilmour tracks, please

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DHart, Feb 18, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

most musicians slow down music they want to understand, not speed it up. Are you really a musician at all?

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

you have to look at the time alot of the recordings were made and some of the history of the band as well at that time it was very inovative and new , pouring into different directions than the mainstream , they had just lost Syd and had to shake off the Acid rock label, I started listening to PF at suacerful of secrets and saw every concert I could , ( I have to admit there are some of the music from Rodger's Meglomaniac days were a little hard to handle,like the final cut album where the band never met each other in the studio to add thier parts) Obscured by clouds held a special fascination for me and as soon as I saw the movie The Vallee by Barbet schroeder I wanted to go to New Guinea , so I did the next best thing for me , I went to university and majored in both physical and cultural anthropology. I never did go but at least I got a taste of what I could expect if I did .

I liked some of the other more commercial veins of music but PF's experimentation with Ron Gleeson helped them to step out with out and still maintain their Ideas.
    and contrary to the other high jacking comments above I too appreciate gilmours resolve to keep them together as long as he did, and what they've done or accomplished. Imagine going to court to fight over a flying pig, Gilmours solution was to make his own but anatomically correct!... brilliant

Reguardless , he and Waters patched things up and moved on... good on them

3. magicfingers99

Great comments, don't know if you read this book yet, but its quite good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1538108275/?tag=tdpri-20

It does a great job of explaining how they coped with the loss of Syd Barrett, and how they came to be the band we remember. I always wondered how DSOM was birthed, this explains the steps. The author gives an overview song by song of everything leading up to Dark Side.

was wonderful to find some gems I'd totally forgotten like Cymbaline..much of the material has been re-released and is available in high quality.

Its an authorized book, so the author spoke to the people around the band, and really gives a good idea of how much hard work they put in. well worth a read...

24 track likes this.
  4. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I read an interview with Bob Ezrin, and he said Gilmour could take a ukelele and make it sound like a Stradivarius. That about sums it up for me

24 track likes this.
  5. 24 track

Thank you, I'll check that out
    I have been lucky enough to have a large PF video collection including one called, "Pink Floyd First In Space" which is the real time behind the scenes for the delicate sound of thunder tour taken by Bob Hickey, Nick Mason's drum tech for the tour taken from the road crews point of view ( including some of the back stage antics ) and tour expiriences .

6. 24 track

he probably did.....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

magicfingers99 and Rev Rhythm like this.
  7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

"Understand"? I was listening to hear if the music interested me, to see if it was appealing to me. As it turned out, the music didn't really appeal to me that much. That's all. Understand?

:lol: No.. I'm just here to enjoy watching you twist and writhe in frustrated angst because not EVERYONE shares your taste or feels the same way you do about PF/Gilmour. :lol:

I don't know what more needs to be said on the subject, to you, really. We've gone around and around this more than enough times. It's a waste of time and bandwidth at this point.

8. 24 track

here's a little known gem from them that could be mistaken for greatful dead ot CSNY

9. magicfingers99

thank you for proving my point. It appears you were never interested in actually understanding anything, you were merely here to provoke. I let others choose what to name your actions.

I just think you need to figure out what is the hole in your soul that requires you to behave as you do.

it might do you well to understand music a bit by striving to be a musician, it certainly would fill the hours constructively.

24 track and David Barnett like this.
  10. magicfingers99

I'm sure thats an interesting bit of film. an amazing amount of limited release fan recordings both video and audio have been making there way around the internet.

I recently found all the BBC radio recordings for pink floyd, available under the title the massed gadgets of Hercules.

I really enjoyed Gilmours concert "live at Pompeii", it was like a bookend enclosing the volumes of music they'd made since the 1st Pompeii concert. How many people can mark their careers in such a manner?

He seems to be a great gentleman as well as a great guitarist and musician, if you watch the bbc wider horizons documentary:

you'll see he's aged gracefully and doesn't seem to be an egomaniac as some become after a life in the spotlight.

24 track likes this.
  11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

:lol: Now... I have a "hole in my soul" because I wasn't so inspired and thrilled by the music of PF/Gilmour as you think I should be. As demonstrated by your vendetta, you're a small, defensive little twit.

You couldn't be more wrong. You know nothing about me, nor of my musical skills & talent. Not that my skills and talent in music have anything to do with my taste in what music inspires me and what music isn't particularly inspiring to me.

Provocation was the last thing I could have intended. You think you're so smart and have it all figured out. As if provocation would be of any benefit to me? This has been a major waste of my time and YOURS.

No... here's the deal. What I heard just didn't inspire me. Why is it so hard for you to understand?

You're so busy and hell-bent in your defensive mode that you can't ever recognize that what you admire and appreciate just may not be some someone else's cup of tea. And your only resort is to try to tell me that I'm not a sufficient musician in some way. You have NO CLUE. You are one messed up dude!

Get out of your destructive and defensive mind-set. You have become quite offensive in trying to defend your taste in music.

No one criticized your taste in music and what you like. All I said it that I found the music not inspiring to me, that some of it was just boring. And... that's ok. It's not a personal attack on you.

Acknowledge that perhaps not EVERYONE will be as thrilled and inspired by your guitar hero as you are. And that's ok. You don't have to try to force everyone to think and feel like you do. Take a pill and relax.

That's all it comes down to. You look like a fool perpetuating this.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  12. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

13. Snommisbor

Snommisbor TDPRI Member

The thing I love about DG is that he is not a shredder nor is he even considered a fast playing guitarist. But if you listen to his solos and when he plays even on the melodies that each note is always doing something. He never holds a note long. It is either being bent up or vibrato or whammie bar. Constant movement but in a soulful and moving way. Even in the middle of a solo he will switch pickups to give it a different sound completely for dramatic effect. Obviously, Comfortably Numb, Money, Time, Brick In The Wall Part II are well known solos, but of course that haunting chord from Shine On You Crazy Diamond before the drums kick in is just amazing.

Another solo I have not seen mentioned is from The Wall: Mother. That is a beautiful solo. If you want to hear a really epic version of it, get the Wall Live from 80. I have the Pink Floyd: The Wall Immersion Box Set and it has the whole concert from when they played in NYC and LA remastered and the solos live are even better than on The Wall. Of course we can't forget PULSE and songs like Sorrow, On The Turning Away and the epic Comfortably Numb with his dive bomb finale. I read on that solo and there are several version that can be found on the internet, that when he just played it note for note he wasn't really feeling it that night, but when he went off and did something different, that was a good night for him.

I think if you go into listening with an understanding of what he is about, you might appreciate his sound and style more. If you like more of an EVH, Page, Hendrix, SRV speed or faster DG will probably not be your cup of tea.

14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Snommisbor... I agree... nice that he's not a shredder. I'm not impressed by shredding/blazing scale running at all - it's boring to listen to. I don't find that style of playing to be very musical - it's all flash and no substance. Yawner.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree. That's one you hear relatively little discussion on, but it's very poignant

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.