Recommend top David Gilmour tracks, please

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DHart, Feb 18, 2019.

1. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

True, but I am a guitar player who also sings and plays other instruments, and really doesn’t give a crap about “guitar players.” I’m bored with them, to be honest. I’ve had this conversation with other musicians as well.

I’m more into arrangements and singing than anything else.

A lot of music I listen to either has no guitar, or it is absolutely not a focus for me.

I’m also not impressed by many of them, because I hate the whole gunslinger guitar player mentality.

I was like that when I was 18, but I got over it a long time ago.

2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I can identify with this, ac15.

It's MUSIC that moves me, not guitar playing.

The harmonies, the chord changes, the rhythm, the beat, the melodies - regardless of what instrument/voice is creating the music - is what counts!

I can greatly appreciate even very simple, if well-played guitar playing, when the MUSIC the guitar is playing moves me.

But the typical blues/rock guitar playing that a lot of people are slinging around has been hashed and rehashed so many times over by countless people, that much of what was exciting in the late sixties, early seventies has less interest from me these days.

I'm not saying that Zeps first album or Cream's first album don't still resonate with me... just that a lot of guitar slinging has become pretty boring.

ac15 likes this.
  3. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In fact, in the past when I have learned lines off of Charlie Christian records, I spend more time learning the Benny Goodman parts....

DHart likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

here is a track dave Gilmour did with Liona Boyd a cover of a Vangellis tune and is one of my favorites

this is granchester meadows an early Pf collaberation with Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour

t guitar floyd likes this.
  5. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Pretty much the entire dark side of the moon album and the bulk of the wall album. I listen to both several times a year. Fantastic playing throughout.

6. 24 track

marooned listen to how he uses a whammy IV pedal the best I have ever heard any one use it

above all the negative crap posted here to hijack the thread , honestly,if I could do as much with 3 notes as this guy can.....wow. its mind bogling how concise he plays ,I have seen PF a million times live as a kid (I had to stand on a wine bottle because I was too short to reach the stage) there were never any technical mistakes in playing ever , all of the band were consumate showmen and the shows were at times breath taking long before DSOM, which was called eclipse initionally, Gilmour's playing was spot on every time . he's retired now and kudos Damn the guys in his 70's and has poured it since the mid 60's And I for one appreciate his talent an what he had to offer, plus the direction he took the music into.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Rev Rhythm and t guitar floyd like this.
  7. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I felt exactly the same way for decades. Always found Pink Floyd to be too sluggish and druggy for my punk/new wave/hooky/jump blues tastes. And i never understood all the rage over Gilmour.

But a few years back--out of sheer boredom--I sat down to learn the two solos from "Comfortably Numb." It made me appreciate his playing waaaay more. The most dramatic parts are where he bends two whole-steps instead of one. Pretty tasteful and just cool from an inside baseball view.

And I realized how much he underplays. I would sing a segment of the solo and then play what I thought I heard. But when I played along with the solo, I found that I was hearing more notes than he was actually using. I don't know if that make any sense to you--but it was cool to me. In an era when guys were being worshiped for jamming as many notes as they could into a measure of music, he was going in the opposite direction. I'm still not a big fan of the band's music, but I get why guitarists dig him.

So sit down and learn those two solos. You've heard them for decades and can probably sing them in your sleep. You'll discover the artistry.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    t guitar floyd and DHart like this.
  8. 24 track

9. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I think g

the thing I'll point out here that makes me feel this poster is being disingenuous
    is he ask for some good examples of pinkfloyd/david gilmour, gets a list of 8 titles
    24 minutes later apparently he's given it all a fair listening and is ready to pronounce it lacking.

Shine on you crazy diamond, alone is 26 minutes long. There is no way he listened to the suggested songs in the time period between postings. I'll let you make your own mind up regarding his motivations....

upload_2019-2-19_9-56-33.jpeg

10. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

:eek:

t guitar floyd likes this.
  11. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Wow! Thank you, 24 track, for the pictures of Gilmour's equipment! Really raised my GAS levels. Fortunately, I don't need to perform in front of or record for hundreds of thousands of people, so, don't need all that. :twisted:

Glad to see this thread has taken a (somewhat more) reasonable tone from where it was. Interesting how people have different musical tastes and values . . . put me in the camp that appreciates music and the song, but the main elements that attract me are the singing and the melody. To me, if I can't hear a melody, it's just sound and, or, noise with a beat. The other main element is . . . electric guitar, preferably a Fender electric guitar, played (once again) melodically. :)

Gilmour checks all those boxes for me. Not only do I like his voice, singing style and guitar playing, but I like his songs and writing style(s). He's carried that over from Floyd to his solo albums and I listen to all of them, since his first, in the 70s to his latest "Rattle That Lock". It doesn't hurt that he is a well rounded musician, playing drums, bass, keyboards and sax and that he surrounds himself with other excellent players. His solo albums contain some of his most passionate, searing, soaring guitar work as well. Check out "Faces of Stone" or "In Any Tongue" for example.

I'm finding that, as I grow older and continue to play this wonderful electric instrument that has been my companion and means of support for most of my life, there isn't much else out there in the music world that I find interesting or stimulating enough if it doesn't contain a healthy dose of melodic electric guitar. :cool:

24 track, magicfingers99 and GGardner like this.
  12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Depends if you listen to all of it, on both sides of WYWH, or not. The radio friendly single edit's only 4 minutes long.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Let it go. Stop being personally affronted by it all.

DHart likes this.
  13. magicfingers99

why does this matter to you? I am not affronted, I'm dissapointed that a member of our illustrious guitar board would claim to want to understand the appeal of an artist, and then base all his decision on 24 minutes of listening to a man who's catalog would require weeks of listening just to give an ample understanding of his works.

he is after all a Commander of the British Empire.

upload_2019-2-19_11-3-10.jpeg

The toast is to England, An Emerald Jewel in the sea...
    (guess the queen mum likes him, anyhow....)

24 track and t guitar floyd like this.
  14. notmyusualuserid

HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother died in 2002. If she ever did, she certainly hasn't any opinions about Mr Gilmour now.

Queen Elizabeth II is the reigning monarch of the UK&NI, not just England.

The quote you are looking for is from Shakespeare's Richard III, "This precious stone set in the silver sea"

15. magicfingers99

actually my quote was from "The Ruling Class" with Peter O'Toole 1972.
    Highly recommend it.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069198/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_73

sorry to hear bout the queen mum, didn't even know she was sick...

16. magicfingers99

but it appears you were correct about the quote, haven't heard of that Shakespeare chap though, I'd laid it to the feet of a english playwright by mistake:

from the film:

13th Earl of Gurney: I give you: England. This teeming womb of privilege. This feudal state, who's shores beat back the turbulent sea of foreign anarchy. This ancient fortress, still commanded by the noblest of our royal blood. This ancient land of ritual. This precious stone set in the silver sea.

Toastmaster: The toast is: England, this precious stone set in the silver sea.

perhaps then this line below was yet again stolen from this Shakespeare chap as well:

Bishop Bertie Lampton: Tell me, did Ralph commit suicide?

Sir Charles: Suicide? Tucker found Ralph hanging in his bedroom wearing a cocked hat, underpants and a ballet skirt. Does that sound like suicide?

The entire film could perhaps be purloined from this man Shakespeare of which you speak, I'm not familiar with him. Can you recommend anything off the top of your head that might perchance give me the flavor of his works?

17. notmyusualuserid

Only if you promise to listen to all of it...;)

magicfingers99 likes this.
  18. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Ha! :lol: Good one nmuuid!

And, to our obsessive panties-in-a-twist member who claims to have "magicfingers", and just can't understand how ANYONE might not be as thrilled with his musical taste as he is:

One doesn't have to listen to every minute of every song to determine whether or not he's enjoying the music! Songs are highly repetitive - most can be skimmed through pretty quickly to hear more than enough to decide if you really want to listen to every available note. ;) Get a life. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  19. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Pretty badass photo. Looks like when you meet your girlfriend's father for the first time (sans the tux and medal).

magicfingers99 likes this.
  20. magicfingers99

I'll give it a full 24 minutes as long as its not boring...

notmyusualuserid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.