Recommend top David Gilmour tracks, please

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DHart, Feb 18, 2019.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Since you've made up your mind, why then did you solicit us to submit examples of his work?

Rev Rhythm and duzie like this.
  2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Not any more it seems.

blowtorch likes this.
  3. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Say, you're not really Roger Waters, are you?

4. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

let's get that right now ..

5. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Hey, if the OP has found Pink Floyd boring, let's help him out with some potential counter examples! Money, for example - hard to call boring IMO. Keeps moving pretty fast from start to finish.

I do understand his perspective, as much as I love classic PF.

DHart likes this.
  6. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Dire Straits and ELO have never set me alight to be honest. I wouldn't call them boring, but they don't do it for me. Ditto, Clapton after Derek and the Dominoes.

So what? It's only my opinion.

DHart likes this.
  7. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

one of the things that many people miss always is that the Term at hand is interpreted trough everybody "meaning of the term"

boring could mean uninteresting, and i f the OP listens to Luciano Berio, Shostakovich, Mosolov, well i get that pink floyd are "boring" in his view, there's not much movement compared to these ones.

I guess it all depends on what we listen to and grow up, the question is legit, what we can do is just try to point out what we think is interesting in gilmour/floyd's music, but nevertheless, the OP could remain with his opinion.

fighting doesn't help ...

8. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think it’s perfectly okay not to like Pink Floyd or David Gilmour, or find either or both of them “boring.” After all, music is subjective.

But if you listen to his playing and can’t objectively hear why he’s an excellent player, chances are you are not a good musician yourself.

In fact, I’d bank on that.

DHart and t guitar floyd like this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know that musicians are necessarily the ones best suited to judge other musicians

They can tend to be musical "snobs" and not appreciate things the non-musician can easily appreciate

DHart, brogh and notmyusualuserid like this.
  10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

what isn't obvious about pink floyd, is that the film work they did, really helped them become better musicians and writers. After Barrett left, they struggled to find their sound, the films they worked on allowed them to produce succint melodies to create a mood, this ability was used to good effort as they grew more polished.

Us and them of course was originally intended to be a piece for a riot scene in Zabriskie Point, the director didn't care for the piece, and used something else, to the good fortune of all of us.

11. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Wow. :eek: This thread is getting a bit contentious. I can see many of the points being made on both sides of the disagreement. I've been noticing quite a few threads here and on a similar forum erupting into heated disagreements today. Don't like Mondays, perhaps?

I guess I'll weigh in, too. :)

I can't call myself a "fan" of any particular artist or star . . . never think of anyone as a "Rock God" (or any of that exalted praise that mere mortals heap upon the objects of their adoration). That said, David Gilmour has become my favorite guitarist, singer, songwriter and musician over pretty much everyone out there. After about 60 years of singing, playing guitar and listening to every kind of music, I've come to where I must listen to Gilmour and Floyd every day. They set my world right.

After asking Mr. Hart about his style preferences, I can appreciate the direction his tastes take and . . . probably, David Gilmour wouldn't fit in there. I even like a few of his preferences; Beethoven, Costello, Eric Johnson, Joe Jackson, Leonard Bernstein have created some great music. Some of the others, Adele, Joni, Dave Matthews, etc. are in my list of boring, downer stuff that I can't listen to . . . not to say that they haven't done a few good tunes here and there. Then there are the Dixie Dregs and Steve Morse (and some of Eric Johnson's work) where it seems to me, musicality is sacrificed for technique.
    But that's my opinion and I don't wish to offend anyone who disagrees with that. I would rather hear Gilmour's melodic, sweeping and often, epic musical solos over just about anyone else's playing.
    (I do love some Telecaster-Master Vince Gill, Albert Lee, Danny Gatton styles at times, but not a steady diet of that, either).

Must agree with what Brogh posted above about opinions and "we think". I think that Gilmour's great body of work can't just be reduced to the two solos in "Comfortably Numb" As Mr. blowtorch claims. :)

DHart and David Barnett like this.
  12. ac15

I think that can be true, but generally speaking, non/musicians are more likely to overlook people who play in an understated (i.e. non flashy) way, while musicians tend to appreciate other musicians who don’t play that way, but serve the song, ala Gilmour, George Harrison etc.

I think it takes some musical sensibility to appreciate the subtler stuff, which is why I think that whether someone likes them or not, if they can’t appreciate why those types of players are good, they are likely not good musicians themselves.

13. blowtorch

I guess my point is that there's absolutely no need for one to be a musician for them to be able to deeply appreciate music, even on the more subtle levels.

14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

You have made an incorrect assumption. Yesterday I hadn't made up my mind that I wasn't interested in David Gilmour's guitar playing, because I hadn't really given his playing, in particular, much attention. Read post #27.

Last night, after I followed the recommended listenings, I came away not that interested in his music/playing. It's pretty simple, really. Understand?

15. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

I do like some of the photography you've posted. :) I remember a shot of some beautiful Strats and Tellies that you took. For some inane reason, some poster took offense, as I recall. :rolleyes:

DHart likes this.
  16. ac15

I agree with that.

I’m just saying that if you are a musician and can’t appreciate objectively why someone is good ( even if that style isn’t your thing), then I can’t imagine you’d be a very good musician.

17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Fortunately, most of you easily and quickly understood that it was the overall style of PF and David Gilmour's music that doesn't hold a lot of appeal to me, personally. And there wasn't the slightest bit of intent to disparage people who enjoy PF/Gilmour music.

Thank you to all of you who understood that and respect it.

No music, by any band or individual, is going to appeal to EVERYONE. Look at The Beatles, for example, some people don't like Beatles music despite the overwhelming respect and adoration for their music by countless millions of listeners in countries all around the world. My wife, for example (who is not musically inclined in the least) never liked The Beatles - that really surprises me, but it is what it is. People like what they like and dislike what they dislike. No point berating people over what they're not interested in, is there?

To the others:
    The heated defensiveness surrounding the subjective appeal of PF and Gilmour music is over the top.

No where have I made any statements disparaging Gilmour's skill as a music maker. Obviously, he has some guitar skills - is that in dispute? My only comment was that it was not particularly interesting to me. That's all. I certainly would not consider Gilmour to be a "guitar God" as some people might. There are a lot of incredibly impressive guitarists out there, but none are "Gods" in everyone's eyes.

As listeners and musicians, we're all different in what appeals to us and where we place our highest respect.

Perhaps that I used the word "boring" tweaked some people? Certainly the song "Money" is not a boring song! And there are undoubtedly some other PF/Gilmour songs that the adjective "boring" may not apply too.

But on the whole, much of David Gilmour's music, and guitar playing in particular, is just not that interesting to me. That's it! Simple. How that can be so difficult for some people to accept is way beyond my understanding.

Nothing for anyone to get their panties in a wad over - is there? Really?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    t guitar floyd likes this.
  18. blowtorch

Who is the someone, though? I mean, I get that in this case, it's David Gilmour.
    But, what about Michael Jackson?
    What about Justin Beiber?
    What about Kanye West?

Do your qualifications and quantifications hold true for these musicians, also?
    If a musician can't appreciate objectively why these musicians are good, are they then probably really not much of a musician?

These things need to hold consistent, in my opinion

19. ac15

Yes, I think that’s true.

I know Michael Jackson was hugely talented.

Don’t know too much about Bieber, but my guess is he’s probably a decent singer and maybe has some catchy tunes.

Kanye, I’m mostly just familiar with his press escapades, so can’t comment.

Incidentally, I don’t always equate “good” with “popular.”

20. blowtorch

Of course you don't. You're a guitar player:)
    Guitar music is no longer relatively popular

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.