Recommend some replacement tuners for Les Paul Standard Min-Etune / G-Force

Orangelynx

TDPRI Member
pre-rant
I've had this 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard for a while now and I'm finally sick of the robo tuners. It's not like I don't see the benefit to quickly change tunings, but I'm never really satisfied with the tuning accuracy, it's always at least half a cent off on three strings. So when I'm not changing tunings altogether I don't even bother to start it up, I just use my tuner pedal. And this is where it really starts to grind my gears. Turning those robot tuners - and there's no other word for it - feels super ugly. Like there's sand in there or something. Really gives me the shivers.. anyway... not like I need to convince anyone here that they suck.
pre-rant over

So I was looking for replacement tuners and I was a bit disappointed with the available options out there for tuners with keystone buttons. The robotuners have some really nice slightly translucent pearly-green keystone buttons that I can't seem to find anywhere. For example those from Schaller seem to be accurate for other vintage models, but they are totally opaque and look like cheap plastic on the videos and photos I've seen.

I'm also a bit split on how much I should actually spend on the tuners. I don't think locking tuners are necessary, even though the robotuners have a toplocking system, I don't think I'll notice much slippage without it, when restringing correctly. I'm currently looking at Schaller, Grover, Gotoh and Kluson (though Klusons are probably out of the race).

So just curious for opinions/preferences here, what would you put as replacement tuners? Keystone or standard (chrome) buttons? Locking or not? Vintage or modern style?

jbmando

Poster Extraordinaire
I put Kluson SD90SLN 3+3’s on my formerly Min-e-tune equipped 2014 J45. Look great and work great. Ebay has them for $52.50 w/ free shipping.

Last edited:

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Gibson, Kluson, and Grover all make vintage keystone tuners if you want to keep the vintage look.

If you want a better tuner (but still somewhat accurate to historic specs), you can go with Grover Rotomatics.

nrand

Friend of Leo's
Do consider the Schaller locking tuners for Gibsons.
I put a set on my Jazzmaster and it was a significant upgrade from stock.

jtees4

Tele-Afflicted
Personally (just me), I'd put whatever tuners Gibson put on their 2014 's that do not have the G-force Tuners. I've used many locking tuners over the years, and used G-Force Tuners myself on more than one guitar....but slowly I just returned to regular tuners AND learned how get to better at putting new strings on. Magically, all the tuners keep great tune now, on many different brand guitars. I actually have a 2014 SG Standard 61, and it has the regular tuners and stays in tune beautifully!

Last edited:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I tried to like the Tronical GMBH tuners on a Gibson acoustic...hated them after a few months. Pulled the module out and sent it to a pal that loves the idea. I installed Grover lima beans and have been happy since.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Holic
Personally (just me), I'd put whatever tuners Gibson put on their 2014 's that do not have the G-force Tuners.
This is pretty much the "proper" answer.

I just want to say though, I put Gotoh tuners with a 21 to 1 ratio on my guitar and it really is easier to tune. ;)

RockinforJesus

Tele-Meister
@Orangelynx have you considered Kluson Revolution? These are not cheap, in fact quite pricey, but then again why put cheap components on an expensive guitar?
I installed them on both my LP Melody Maker and my J15. No regrets whatsoever for spending a few more bucks than the average tuner.
Rev’s are 19:1 ratio, some of the smoothest I have ever used, and I have used lots of others (Schaller, Grocer, etc.).
Chrome buttons for me, but the Rev’s have a very nice pearloid button if you prefer too.
https://www.kluson.com/kluson-3-per-side-revolution-series-g-mount-tuning-machines-details.html
96F1B1DC-6D29-463A-A1C2-A210E43F30C4.jpeg

Last edited:

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
I have replaced 4 of the Tronical tuner sets with this:

Hipshot 6GLO Grip-Lock Locking Guitar Tuning Machines 3+3 - Universal Mounting Plate UMP included - Chrome

Literally the easiest install ever. I have since been converting anything else with less than awesome tuners to these. Can't praise them enough.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
pre-rant
I've had this 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard for a while now and I'm finally sick of the robo tuners. It's not like I don't see the benefit to quickly change tunings, but I'm never really satisfied with the tuning accuracy, it's always at least half a cent off on three strings. So when I'm not changing tunings altogether I don't even bother to start it up, I just use my tuner pedal. And this is where it really starts to grind my gears. Turning those robot tuners - and there's no other word for it - feels super ugly. Like there's sand in there or something. Really gives me the shivers.. anyway... not like I need to convince anyone here that they suck.
pre-rant over

So I was looking for replacement tuners and I was a bit disappointed with the available options out there for tuners with keystone buttons. The robotuners have some really nice slightly translucent pearly-green keystone buttons that I can't seem to find anywhere. For example those from Schaller seem to be accurate for other vintage models, but they are totally opaque and look like cheap plastic on the videos and photos I've seen.

I'm also a bit split on how much I should actually spend on the tuners. I don't think locking tuners are necessary, even though the robotuners have a toplocking system, I don't think I'll notice much slippage without it, when restringing correctly. I'm currently looking at Schaller, Grover, Gotoh and Kluson (though Klusons are probably out of the race).

So just curious for opinions/preferences here, what would you put as replacement tuners? Keystone or standard (chrome) buttons? Locking or not? Vintage or modern style?

You won't notice any, slippage unless it's the string slipping on the post itself or the tuner is physically busted. The tuners don't slip. The worm gear & sprocket inside are designed so they lock once you stop turning them. Making it all but impossible for a correctly working tuner to "slip" backwards and loosen a string. If strings loosen up, it's because the strings slips on the tuner shaft or thr gears are damaged, letting them rotate backwards when they arent supposed to.

Schaller covers this in their history on their website. That design is now the industry standard. So most tuners today use that same "locking mechanism" that Schaller invented with the Original M6 tuners.

In 1966, machine heads were added to the portfolio for the first time. The "M6" tuner was the world's first fully encapsulated and self-locking precision mechanism. From 1967, brand manufacturers such as Ovation, Gibson and Martin used Schaller machine heads. Fender also switched to Schaller machine heads in 1976 and is still in business relationship with Schaller today.

That "precision locking mechanism" is the worm gear & sprocket inside the tuner, whose design is now the industry standard. You find Schallers gear design in everything from the cheapest tuners to the most expensive gear-operated tuners on the market.

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
@Orangelynx have you considered Kluson Revolution? These are not cheap, in fact quite pricey, but then again why put cheap components on an expensive guitar?
I installed them on both my LP Melody Maker and my J15. No regrets whatsoever for spending a few more bucks than the average tuner.
Rev’s are 19:1 ratio, some of the smoothest I have ever used, and I have used lots of others (Schaller, Grocer, etc.).
Chrome buttons for me, but the Rev’s have a very nice pearloid button if you prefer too.
https://www.kluson.com/kluson-3-per-side-revolution-series-g-mount-tuning-machines-details.html View attachment 1027822

I've been looking at those Revolution tuners for a while now. I keep telling myself I want locking tuners but I'd be fine with standard tuners. The ones on my $250 guitars work perfectly fine currently, so I'm in no hurry to swap them out. Perfect tuning stability on 2 Les Paul style guitars. But I've also got straight string pull through the nut, so I don't have all the tuning issues that Gibsons have.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
IMO Gotoh tuners are noticeably superior to every brand mentioned here, even Schaller. I believe they have tulip-knobbed sets. Gotoh has simply out-engineered and fabricated every tuner maker at this point. I've had to take Schallers off some of the guitars I've purchased in the last several years because the performance is just not there anymore. As noted above, no tuner will really slip and lose tension, but many will lose tension if you tune a string down to pitch rather than tuning it down below pitch and then tune it up to pitch. I notice with Gotoh tuners that you can pretty much tune in both directions, though because of the way the string itself handles tension, tuning up is always better. In a word: Gotoh.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
I put gotoh magnum locking tuners on my Epiphone LP recently. Ive used Magnums several times before on various other builds over the years, and they've never let me down. Appreciate the ones i have are the standard tuner button style, not sure if Gotoh do any other style you may prefer, but for me these are excellent tuners.

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
I would look at the bushing diameter first, then look at tuners that fit, that size bushing, if you do not , you will have issues, they can be overcome, in my case going from modern tuners that bolt down to vintage press in smaller bushings, it took some creativity, I used stainless shim stock and hide glue to get em tight. Because the bushings were loose, and I did not like the look of larger conversion bushings, I was going for a look more than anything here,

going vintage to modern takes a reamer.

Or the way more simple approach is use what fits…..
I would get the calipers out, first , then decide. it will save a hassle….

Last edited: