1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

recommend schematic or kit for compressor pedal

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by muscmp, Dec 30, 2019.

1. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

there are so many compressor pedals out there and i can't try them all so i've decided to build my own either from kit or schematic.

thanks in advance.

mikeB

play music!

awasson likes this.
  2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Teleguy61, SPUDCASTER and muscmp like this.
  3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

BYOC has quite a few to choose from. Good instructions too and a forum for trouble shooting.

4. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I don't get the part where the clone kit costs more than a used genuine pedal.

5. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Do you know what type of circuit you want your compressor based off of? Ross, Orange Squeezer, optical, etc.? Also, what are you using it for?

I think Switchy is right, depending upon what you’re looking for you might be better off finding something used.

6. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I’m a Ross Comp fan and built mine on the General Guitar Gadgets board.

brokenbones likes this.
  7. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Also check out tagboard effects for lots of veroboard layouts. I've been meaning to make an EHX black finger compressor based on the layout there. I've had all the parts sitting in my parts bin for probably the better part of a year now but I haven't been in a pedal building mood for quite a while I guess...

Mark the Moose and matmosphere like this.
  8. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

I’ve made a Bear Hug comp and a Really Cheap ( I think is the name) comp. both from the tag board website. Both work well, but I like the Bear Hug much better.

I think 1776 effects sells a pcb for the Bear Hug.

the Engineers Thumb is another DIY comp that people talk about a lot. I haven’t made one but the demos I’ve seen sound nice, and it seems to be very well liked.

SlideGuy123, zippofan and muscmp like this.
  9. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

thanks everyone.

i'll check out used ones as that may be the simplest way to go even tho i have built and repaired amps, just never ventured into the pedal building and repairing arena.

basically, i'd be pairing the compressor pedal with a fulltone fulldrive 3 that goes into a few strymon pedals. i do not know the different varieties of pedals-ross, ehx, and which ones do what. i've been using an istomp with its compressor but it sounds terrible no matter what i do so it is time to get a specialized pedal.
    thanks again,
    mikeB

10. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

1. Economy of scale. Dunlop is getting bulk discounts on 100s of thousands of parts and taking advantage of automation and assembly-line processes. Once they spend the capital to setup, the per piece costs is cheap
    2. The thru-hole, solder-lead components we use for DIY and boutique pedals and amps are all considered obsolete in an industrial sense, they are mostly only made for restoration and hobbyists
    Building is a hobby all to itself, you don't build kits to save money.

muscmp and Switchy like this.
  11. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Five-knob Engineer's Thumb is my favorite compressor build, and I also like the Bear Hug and the circuit it's derived from, the Rothwell Love Squeeze. You can get ET boards from DeadEnd FX, and there are layouts on Merlin's (The Valve Wizard) site as well as on Tagboard Effects.
    I've been messing around with the ET for months and barely scratched the surface of what it can do.

EngineerComplete.jpg BearHugComplete.jpg

awasson and muscmp like this.
  12. Feral Feline

Feral Feline TDPRI Member

Building your own may not help — There's a ton of DIY options, too.

You don't mention what your needs/goals are.
    First decide what your compression goals are... Limiting? Tone-shaping? Evening (bringing soft parts up, loud parts down but still allowing for some dynamics); for effect such as super-squashed with no dynamics left); getting some "spank" or "twang" for chicken-pickin?: sustain for daze or doom?...

I've been fascinated with and researching compression for a few years now, and still feel my understanding of it is lacking. One thing I've come across frequently is people disliking a compressor because they either don't know how to use it properly or it is the wrong type of compressor for what they're trying to achieve.

Store-bought or DIY-fraught, either way you're still going to have to do some homework...

HERE'S some excellent reviews that may help you narrow down which circuit you want to DIY or buy second hand:
    http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/
    Ovni has a great comp FAQ, and Sound On Sound has some great explanations of types (FET, VCA, Opto) and suggested uses, too.

There's also another guy on Talkbass who's constantly reviewing compressors and has set up his own website for that, in addition to posting on the forum. What's good for the bass goose may be great for the guitar gander.

LIST OF VERO
    http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/search/label/Compressor

LIST OF PERF
    http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/search/label/Compressor

Here's a hodgepodge of notes from my own DIY compressor hunt (not much listed for the DynaRoss circuit as it doesn't interest me); sorry, the formatting was lost when I pasted it all into TDPRI; I'm sure there's way more out there, but this is the stuff I found interesting for one reason or another:

THAT JAM UK.ELECTRONIC, Musikding ; designed by a German website community IIRC

PUMPERNICKLE SCHALLTECHNIK ; based on a DBX 160

TADEK HEXE

PMBC BYOC's Parallel Multiband Compressor (good limiter), and BYOC of course offers other comps, too.

DR PHIL THCUSTOM (Philosopher's Tone clone)

ORANGE SMOOTHIE G TRANTER (orange squeezer variant with lots of control)

AFTERLIFE MadBean
    4:1 MadBean
    Flabulanche MadBean

VFE BUMBLEBEE http://vfepedals.com/bumblebee.html available at MadBean
    VFE WHITE HORSE (optical comp) MadBean again

FLATLINE John Hollis

ENGINEER’S THUMB 
Valve Wizard DIY ETCH, Vero, Perf, 
OSHPARK EFFECTS LAYOUT 5KNOB, 
2-knob (JMK), 
Musikding, 
PedalPCB, 
THCustom, 
NUCLEON 4-knob, 
DeadEndFX 5-knob, but 
FUZZDOG’s prolly cheapest

BEARHUG 1776 & Perf
    http://1776effects.com/product/bear-hug-compressor-new-version/

DIAMOND perf — clone not missing tone stack like some other DIY versions

ZIRCONIA/DIAMONTE DIAMANTÉ vero or PCB LECTRIC-FX
    http://lectric-fx.com/product/zirconia-optical-compressor-v-1-1/
Zirc Jr.

MAXON CP101 :: OPTICAL, PERF LAYOUT

MXR COMMANDE SUSTAIN :: PERF
 The circuit in question today is a better design than the DynaComp, offering less distortion and more sustain. It does have a little less compression range than the DynaComp, but also less noise.

TOADWORKS MR SQUISHY :: slightly modded Orange Squeezer, can do it on Vero/Perf/PCB-adaptation

GGG (General Guitar Gadgets) 
- COLORSOUND SUPASUSTAIN 
-
    Ibanez BP-10/CP-10 uses BA6110 IC, unlike other dynaross cousins.
    - GGG's schematics show only 2 differences between the BP and CP, could put the differences on a switch and have both the bass & guitar version in one pedal.

AMZ Q&D 2
    SSM2166 Compressor PCB by AMZ [NOTA BENE: component labels differ REVB to REVC]

FAT N PRETTY : MOOSAPOTAMUS see also Madbean’s Holy Roller

Fat 'n' Pretty is a two channel optical compressor/overdrive based on a circuit that Johan Blomdahl dubbed the LA-Light, because his design mimicked the functional blocks of the well known LA2A Levelling Amplifier (compressor).

DiSCO pSeudo compressor & OD :: Parasit vero

ZORG Dirty Comp

LoveSqueeze Rothwell :: perf/vero, Lovely Squeezer Fuzzdog, Rullywow

Elektor Comp & Dist :: Parasit layout

DOD280 : Squishy GPCB , Grind 280lb Gorilla, Nucleon
    DOD FX80B Compressor Sustainer : vero

EHX old Black Finger
    http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2718&start=40
    EHX Low Frequency Compressor [shares the PCB of the Black Finger, supposedly]
    EHX Soul Preacher : effectslayouts perf version is NOT DynaRoss, but rather Orange Squeezerish…

Korg CMP-1 / Yamaha CO-01 Compressor vero

LM13700 Janglebox

Guyatone PS-021 Guitar Exciter / Compressor stock or LM13700

Way Huge Saffron Squeeze MKI — A modified Ross Compressor.

Univox Uni-Comp

Madbean Holy Roller / Bajaman LA2A Optical Limiter

EQD WARDEN ON HOLD @ tagboard, but perfed @ effects layouts…hmmmm
    RECOMMEND DON’T BUILD, perf problems as well.

BJFE Pale Green Compressor
    Bearfoot Pale Green Comp
    Mad Professor Forest Green :: Perf
2 perf versions… one for SGD layout and the other for GSD

Really Simple Transistor Compressor — tagboard

Emma TransMORGrifier

Demeter Compulator :: RULLYWOW, 3pdt, perf

LM13700 to CA3080 Conversion Board

Carlin comp :: Moody Sounds “Thor’s Hammer”

Korg CMP-1 / Yamaha CO-01 Compressor VERO
 13600 here is just an dual OTA/VCA with the other channel unused. This means that the compression is created basically in the same manner as it is in MXR Dyna / Ross Comp.

PCBGUITARMANIA SEA LION COMPRESSOR 9.9 euro
    - Walrus Audio Deep Six [another modded RossDyna] http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Walrus-Audio-Deep-Six-td26464.html

- WAY HUGE SAFFRON SQUEEZE :: YAR (yet another Ross/Dyna derivation)

AION CONVEX: DINOSAURAL OTC-201 (Optical)
    http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/dinosaur.shtml
    “The tone is very close to transparent. There is zero loss of highs or lows, and in fact the entire frequency spectrum is ruler flat at all settings, except for an interesting time-based change. The most unique feature of this pedal is it was designed to accentuate the treble at the very beginning of each note, to emphasize your pick/pluck attack, and then gently lower those highs as the note decays. The amount of this effect gets stronger as you turn up the Sustain knob. So even under heavy compression, the sound from this pedal stays crisp and articulate.”asdg

AION MERIDIAN AKA GUYATONE LIMITER/EXCITER

AION OCEANID Cornish OC-1 Optical Compressor “CORNWALL”?
    Aion GALE: SCHAFFER-VEGA DIVERSITY SYSTEM

PAIA Infinity Plus : HAVE JC MAILLOT DRAWN SCHEMATIC, BUT NO LAYOUT YET
    http://www.lynx.net/~jc/pedalsInfinity.html
    This is a "character" comp/sustainer - ie. it can easily produce an exaggerated non-linear envelope response - great for textured "squashing" effects ... when no signal is applied to the input the gain of the VCA increases to a value set by the gain limiter - I use a pot with a switch to open the circuit, yielding unlimited upper gain - great for sustained feedback effects ... this is quite different than the usual limiting circuits such as a DanElectro "Orange Squeezer" or MXR "Dynacomp", which are really limiters not compressors ... anyway, a cool experiment and a basis for other comp/limiter ideas and designs ...

ISSUES USING 13600 (13700) to replace 3080
    https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=117684.0

PEDALPCB
Byrdhouse — Janglebox
Constrictor — Demeter Compulator
Delegate Comp (optical)
Muffler — MXR Noise Gate
Muzzle — Fortin Zuul Noise Gate

Bear Hug

THCustom
Dr Phil : Pigtronix

Lectric-FX

WEB
That Jam, Perf or PCB from UK-Electronic or Musikding

BUDDHA COMP : Have schem and perf

HERE’s A COOL LITTLE LIMITER AND EXPLAINED WHAT DOES WHAT IN THE CIRCUIT:

by w2aew PCB on oshpark, there are a few variants so choose the best-for-me option
    https://oshpark.com/profiles/LRY/page/2 and page 3
    - W2AEW audioleveler w amp : newest version
    - Audioleveler by W2AEW (C4, new value) : improved or just different cap value?
    - Audio limiter/leveler by W2AEW : Original

NEW Ego Compressor Clone [“NEW” is relative(ly old)]
    By MullisMan
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/KuBD7Q5N

cs-3 and dyna commentary
    https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=17969.0
    "*I think changing the OTA chip also helps a lot in a Dyna. … nicer clarity with chords & notes helping you be heard a bit better in the overall mix."

awasson and muscmp like this.
  13. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

wow, that is great. thanks,

play music!

14. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I don't know your skill level so I will make a three-tier recommendation
    beginner - byoc mimosa - orange squeezer with clean blend
    intermediate - aion aurora - I'd use the saffron squeeze component values and metal can OTA. I did one that way that was perfect ... board has options to build all kinds of variations.
    advanced - I had a hard time choosing but aion has either the dinosaural or cornish optical compressors, either of which would be challenging and rewarding efforts. honorable mention to the lectric fx diamond comp.

15. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

thanks, great info.
    as mentioned i repair audio and guitar amps as well as guitars but i've never ventured into pedals.
    play music!

16. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Engineers Thumb. Awesome. Deadend FX board looks nice.

zippofan and muscmp like this.
  17. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Tagboard Effects Really Cheap Compressor is the one for me. I built it a few years ago. The designer, Mictester is a member here and has posted some in the Burnt Finger part of the forum. It's a optical compressor meaning the signal is isolated from the circuitry that controls the compression so it stays really clear. I can't say enough good things about this one: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/03/really-cheap-compressor.html

muscmp likes this.
  18. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

I built that one once, sounded great but had tons of boost.

675CB6BF-6296-4362-853F-9CBC9D6D398A.jpeg

It’s the little one. I call it the Ray Palmer Compressor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.