Recommend order delay, reverb , trem

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by texmck54, Apr 12, 2016.

1. texmck54

texmck54 Tele-Meister

What order do you think these three should go on my board. Already have my delay then reverb but I'm getting a trem tommorow so wondering what seems to work best.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Trem > delay > reverb is the traditional order and what I have, but lots of people will have a different opinion based on what they like. Rule of thumb is modulation before ambiance.

johnhe and Tele1966 like this.
  3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Delay is on the board... reverb and trem are in the amp...

waparker4 likes this.
  4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

If you put the trem at the start, the delay and reverb will wash over the effect and soften it. If you put the trem at the end, it will cut out everything and so sound harder. So it depends on what sound you are after.

waparker4, Donnie55 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  5. Steve112

Steve112 Tele-Meister

I`ve run trem>delay>reverb, worked well.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

My current preference is boost > stacked crunch/OD pedals > trem > Corona Chorus > Strymon Timeline > amp (w/reverb)

Obsessed likes this.
  7. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

On both my boards I run them in the "traditional" order: Trem -> Delay -> Reverb (Tuner -> Boost -> OD/Distortion are before those).

But there are no real "rules" - flip 'em around in any order that works for you.

Obsessed likes this.
  8. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Speaking of reverb, I currently have on loan a DigiTech Supernatural Ambient Stereo Reverb Pedal. This pedal is fantastic. I just noticed today the price dropped at Sweetwater. The only issue I have with the pedal is that I've found four or five settings I love, but for gigging it'd be impossible to bend down and dial in each reverb. But for a home studio I think the pedal is worth checking out.

9. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

It seems that the consensus is more or less Trem > Delay > Reverb.

May I ask how you would incorporate a Strymon Flint or Mr. Black Deluxe Plus (both Trem and Reverb) into such a setup? Delay before or after the Combopedal?
    Thanks

10. Obsessed

I have a D+ that I got for my Grab n' Go board. I'm actually not going to have a delay on that board. If you think about it, old school was running straight into an amp that has trem and reverb. My two amps and my future third "basically" don't have either. With that said though, you can turn off the verb, so I would place the delay after the D+, so that trem goes into delay.

11. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

I use delay into tremolo for no real reason.

12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I like the tremolo to cut the delay trails... not create more.... so, delay before trem always for me.
    I dig the interplay and bounce-back of trem into reverb... so
    Delay>Trem>Reverb

waparker4 and bottlenecker like this.
  13. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't think there is a traditional order.

I would go delay - trem - reverb. In a fender amp which i use the most often, trem and reverb in the amp both would go after delay. When I don't use a Fender amp but the amp has reverb, delay into trem is closest to the fender sound. When the amp doesn't have reverb, reverb pedal can go last. This seems to me like it would be most consistent.

14. Obsessed

^^^^^ This is why there is creative music out there and why there are no rules. For someone starting out though, I think conventional wisdom is the best way to begin. Modulation before ambience is the basic "traditional" order for the pedal era. It is true that amp manufacturers have done lots of things and why there are different combination of sounds, but certainly amp manufacturers don't rely on pedal order for their designs. I'm not going to tell anyone which way is best for them, I am trying to give guidelines. However, I'm pretty confident that if you take away the amp built-in effects (and f/x loops), the majority of people are going to end up with trem > delay > reverb anyway. I suppose if you want to be "consistent" with a specific amp's built in effects order that's fine, but for someone just getting into the world of pedals, it seem like confusing advice. Tele-beeb has a great reason why he likes trem after delay and states why. This is also good information for everyone to consider.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Another idea: Ask yourself, "How do they do it in the studio?"
    The "modern" way is, don't print effects at all, record everything dry, and add effects at the mixing stage.
    Old school might still have outboard delay/echo, so it could be tremolo (from the amp), then reverb (amp), then delay. There's all kinds of ways to figure these things.
    Sometimes you're limited to (or inspired by) the limitations of the gear. I'd like to try chorus after delay, but the chorus only has a mono input and stereo outs, so I'd have to run the delay mono, so no ping-pong delays. Chorused delays, or delayed chorus? Which sounds better in stereo? To the lab, Igor!

waparker4 likes this.
  16. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Trem, delay, reverb... or you could go the old fender route delay, reverb, trem... as they got the reverb / trem round the wrong (non standard) way in their older amps.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.