Recommend me tele pickup set

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by karpis, Aug 26, 2018.

1. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

I have MIJ tele. And it is fine guitar, but I find neck pickup muddy, so I would like to go to strat neck pickup alike. I like nickel cover, so open pickup is not an option. Also would love to change to a set of pickups. Playing garage rock in a trio band. What are your favorite pickups? How do they sound with some drive? Have you finished your tone quest with pickup swap?

chemobrain likes this.
  2. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

For true vintage Tele sound it is hard to beat the Fender Original Vintage '52's.

For a slightly fatter tone (with a bit more snarl) the Fender Original Vintage '64's are also really good. The neck pickup on the '64's sounds a bit Strat-like to me.

Have a set of each installed in a couple of my Teles, both great sounding.

I have absolutely no idea how either sound with any gain or drive, as I really never use either. Never have liked that sound.

3. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

4. rasr1

rasr1 Tele-Meister

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Twisted Tele neck and a Fender '62 bridge.

There's also a Twisted Tele set.

jimilee likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Lower your pickup further from the strings. You'll need to lower the bridge pickup to keep volume balance. Then turn up the amp volume. The neck pickup will sound a lot better.

If still muddy, put a 0.047uF capacitor like is on the tone circuit in series with the hot lead of the the neck pickup (unsolder the neck pickup from the switch, solder the pickup to one leg of the cap and the other leg of the cap to the switch). This cuts the internal capacitance of the pickup bobbin and will remove the muddiness.

That pickup work will cost you fifty cents.

If you need a little more tweak for the whole guitar, buy a couple of pots, measure, and put the higher tolerance measured one in the guitar to brighten the whole guitar.

Jump from 250k volume to 500k volume pot (and repeat the measurements to get higher end of the spec).

You might spend ten to twenty dollars on pots.

If you have exhausted all the above options and still feel a need to swap pickups then search for pickups. You'll need to work with the control components for new pickups otherwise you are trying to match $20 of parts with $200 in pickups...

While you are in there, put a 4-way switch in the guitar to get series LP option. A les paul for under twelve dollars. A deal.

beninma, old wrench, irie and 3 others like this.
  7. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

As regarding the above post: going fr 250 standard to 500k might work for the neck but not for the bridge pickup.the pot shares both.Tone caps won't get you there either.You cannot bring in more highs.
    No matter what you do with the height of the neck pickup, an A5 magnet will often be too much in the lows.
    Fender's Twisted is quite good but if u want to go strat, then the Lollar Royal T is great.wonderful highs!
    But, i have a pair of Seymour Duncan A2 pro in one of my teles.The neck pickup is just right.no boomy lows and even eq throughout.

Mincer likes this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You might like the Cavalier Fat, Huge or Humongous Lion for a bridge (depending on your desired rock tone) and a Lioness or Fat Lioness neck.

9. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

If it were me, I'd contact Rob DiStefano of Cavalier pickups. I'd tell him what I had now and what I wanted. Then he'll make you one that will sound like your description. It will cost you $68, shipped.

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

jvin248 has some good suggestions to try to start.

Whatever adjustments you make to the pickup height and/or whatever pickups you switch to you kind of need to play with them in a given configuration for a while... I'm finding the longer I play a Tele I'll just adjust my pick attack based on how the guitar is setup. If you just chase different pickup heights and such you're going to adjust the pickups, play and think it's good, and then possibly adjust your attack and then decide you don't like it again, and then you can end up chasing your tail.

You probably don't need to go all the way to a strat neck pickup in any case as there are plenty of Tele neck pickups which are not muddy. A treble bleed might be interesting too if you're determined to make some changes.

The muddiness can be used to effect and turned on/off with attack, particularly on the bass strings. I don't actually think this is any different with a Strat neck pickup (on an actual Strat) either. There are some famous pieces of music that take advantage of this. That Jimi guy did it. Maybe you don't want to lose it completely.

11. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant TDPRI Member

Seymour Duncan Antiquity set. (Just 'Antiquity' not the '55 or Antiquity II) Does it all, at least for me. Also, use a .022 cap. Never felt the need to lose the cover.

Mincer likes this.
  12. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Too bad you need the nickel cover because an open Lindy Frailin Blues Special neck will get you where you want to go. Love mine...

The Blues Special Telecaster pickups are perfect for those who love their Telecaster’s tone, but needs a little more fat and thickness.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/blues-special-telecaster/

That said it can be gotten with the nickel cover just not the same.

13. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

Before this thread is through you'll probably have a dozen mentions of Cavalier pickups. There is a very good reason for that. I'll throw my mention in: I've got the Cavalier Lion King and Nashville Lion in one tele, and in the other tele I've got the Cavalier Huge Lion and Fat Lion King. Love both sets.

El Tele Lobo and rich815 like this.
  14. mthowlett

mthowlett Tele-Meister

Piece of cake. If you want a Strat tone from your Tele neck pickup, that is precisely the reason for the existence of the Fender Twisted Tele neck pickup. Look it up, better yet, go to GC or somewhere and try it out. It comes on the Baja Tele. Great Strat tone.

karpis likes this.
  15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I found the perfect pair of Tele pickups for my '86 MIJ Fender '69RI Pink Paisley Tele.

When I found it in a pawnshop earlier this year, the pickups had already been changed out to EMG's .

I couldn't live with the EMG's,and decided to install a set of Lollars.

Since I wanted more of a neck strat tone, I chose the Royal T for the neck, and the
    Vintage T for the bridge.

Since the Tele wasn't original anymore, I decided to also add a Mini toggle series switch.

The is now a really versatile guitar that offers a lot of usable tones.

Here's a pic of the Tele loaded with the Lollars.

[​IMG]

heffus, El Tele Lobo and karpis like this.
  16. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

Yeah, twisted tele is strongly beeping on my radar, since I’m not from USA, so those are more widely available.

17. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Lollar Royal T

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  18. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Seymour Duncan Antiquity set.

Mincer likes this.
  19. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

I have Dimarzio Area T Neck and Area T Bridge pickups in one of my telecasters and they sound very good:D do they sound like authentic early Fender Telecaster pickups, how would I know I was 4 years old in 1954.:p

20. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

O.C. Duff Guardsmen....best I've played.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.