Recommend me some new (or old) Americana/country/heartland/singer-songwriter etc.

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
Thinking about Americana, one great exponent was Levon Helm.
His 'Dirt farmer' and 'Electric Dirt' records are worth exploring. Explore via Youtube/streaming before buying, then decide they're brilliant in their own right and buy :)
Yes, I own and love those two records! Even though Levons voice, for obvious reasons, is not like it was in The Band, the records are just so amazing. Really a final victory lap for one of the greats!

Peteurre

TDPRI Member

Yeah, start with Guitar Town. If you don't get that then I guess you don't get him.
Okay, I really owe you another reply: Just listened to Guitar Town in the car on my way to work. That is some seriously amazing stuff! When "Good Ol' Boy" came on, I had to really pay attention to the speed - just made me wanna floor it! Great record, I will give that one some repeated listening in the next days

purifyingpepper

TDPRI Member
I know - I forgot to mention him, and also his son, on the list of people I have been trying to get into, but that haven't really hit me. Which album would you consider starting with? Guitar Town? El Corazon? I remember seeing them on "Best Americana albums of all time" list...
I'm not a Steve fan, but Justin Townes Earle won me over years ago with his live performances. The guy was very talented. Never liked his studio albums, but check out stuff like this:

purifyingpepper

TDPRI Member
If you want to see the depths that a person can take the Tele sound to, check out Roy Buchanan. He has a number of recorded albums that I would put in the "easier listening" category, you might call it Roadhouse music or something to that effect. I'm partial to this live performance: