Recommend me some earplugs please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eddiewagner, Nov 19, 2019.

1. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Good morning, had a hearingtest yesterday and it did not make me happy at all. No More loud rehearsals for me. Can you recommend me some earplugs? Or should I buy something that looks like headphones? Thanks for advice

Fretting out likes this.
  2. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

3. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

I’ve mainly used this style for practice/gigs:
    EB040045-EBFC-493C-ADBC-423F343231B5.png
    I’ve used different brands, they’re all similar.
    Pros - decent protection, cheap as chips

cons- not comfortable for extended periods

Just had a pair of these given to me but haven’t used them yet..
    3CBE1CB8-C660-463D-A373-D4F9D56FEF39.jpeg

4. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

I have spent a lot of time at gun ranges, and have tried all kinds of ear plugs and over-the-ear hearing protection. The best ear plugs you can possibly use are completely free. Take a couple of pieces of writing paper, about the size of a silver dollar, chew them up one at a time, form them into small balls, and push them into your ears. Make sure they are not so small that they go too far in. These will block out more sound than any ear plug you can buy, and they are more comfortable.

These free ear plugs will tame the sound of a big 50. For the big artillery, I’ll add the over-the-ears hearing protection. The sound of of the big guns doesn’t bother my ears, but can sometimes give me a bloody nose.

Euphonica likes this.
  5. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

Respectfully, that isn’t strictly relevant here. There’s plenty of industrial level sound protection available.

When I’m playing guitar it’s handy to hear some if not all of the notes I’m playing. I’m confident your method would kill a lot of frequencies, not necessarily ideal for music but obviously ok for guns/industrial application.

6. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I have the Etymotic 20db plugs. Comfortable & good frequency response

John Owen likes this.
  7. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Dubs, Eargasm, and Earpeace are all excellent. Any of them will keep your ears safe and let you hear everything you need to. Eargasms have the option of a shorter plug shape that fits my ear the best, so that's what I use.

John Owen likes this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I've had good luck with Eargasm and Earasers. I find the fit better with Eargasm...but that's a personalized thing. Both offer multiple sizes to fit different ear canal sizes. And both work well for me. I think the Earasers I got provide slightly more SPL reduction.

Take care of your ears. Not just because of hearing loss. You don't want tinnitus, if you don't have it. It's a perpetual unending torment night and day. Ask me how I know. I got mine at a disrespectfully loud gig, wholly inappropriate for the room and audience. I should have packed up and left after the first song. Will kick myself for the rest of my life that I didn't.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  9. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I've been using Hearos , they seem to work well and the price is reasonable.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree. But the thing I've learned is that fit really matters. It impacts not only the level of protection but which frequencies get through.

So not all good earplugs will perform the same for everyone.

Unfortunately people just have to try a few to know, iME.

These are a little pricey for non-custom. But so far they work great. No ringing. No wincing on big cymbal hits or vocal spikes. So clear I sometimes wonder if they are doing anything. But my ears never bother me after rehearsal or shows. https://earos.co

Buckocaster51, hrstrat57 and basher like this.
  11. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I use Hearprotek High Fidelity Concert Ear Plugs. You can get them for $16 on amazon. 20db and you get two sizes when you order so out of the two they give you one should fit just right. They may seem like they are a cheaper option, but I've been standing next to the drum kit at our new practice space and I don't have any ringing or anything like that after a full band rehearsal.

12. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I once used the Hearos brand that have the built in baffle. They are very good. Now I use custom fitted plugs from an audiologist. Those are the best.

13. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mack’s pillow soft, the brown ones. Available at your local pharmacy, effective, comfortable.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@eddiewagner - the other thing to consider. And my audiologist mentioned this too. In a sense, you can't win. Because as soon as bands start wearing earplugs, the members all turn up louder! And each member starts cranking different frequencies to restore what the plugs are filtering out. Vicious circle.

I sometimes want to suggest we rehearse without plugs, and turn down accordingly. But I know the guys will get feisty, so I keep them in.

eddiewagner likes this.
  15. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I've tried most of the OTC "musicians" in- ear hearing protectors. I also have a couple of years experience working in an independent lab that tests and assigns NRRs to all types of hearing protectors. Subjectively I've found V-Moda Faders to be the best compromise between hearing protection and natural sound.

16. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Meister

I have hearing loss and carry 3M Tekk foamies all the time (32dB)...if there is a PA, amp, loud muffler, etc I use them. I've used them to perform, but admit they may dull frequencies more than most would like. I have a set of Walker electrics I use hunting that can actually amplify sounds until a sharp, loud sound (like a gunshot) which they block out. Rechargeable battery lasts about 5 hours in them. I use the foamies with earmuffs on the gun range.

eddiewagner likes this.
  17. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I stand on the far right of the stage.

Left ear too close to the (too loud) drummer.

Right ear shielded from the (too loud) drummer.

So I completely plug my left ear.

Leave the right ear open.

It works for me. I have completely normal 65 year old ears.

That I horrible mistreated 30 years ago.

Protect your ears kids, you are only issued one set.

stormsedge and eddiewagner like this.
  18. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks guys. Thanks for all the info. I went to the audiologist and will get custom fitted earplugs. They will cost me 165€. Guess it’s worth it. Rock on!

Robert H. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.