Recommend me Alternative Tube AMP for PEAVEY classic 30

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by idvc, Sep 25, 2021.

1. idvc

idvc TDPRI Member

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a new amp. I Love my peavey classic 30 amp.

I'm looking for an amp similar to the Peavey classic 30. Can you recommend an amp with the closest sound to peavey classic 30?
    Which amps can be an alternative to the peavey classic 30?

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If you love your C30, why do you want another amp that sounds like it?

Why not get an amp that has a different tonal flavor?

If you're looking for an amp with cleans and dirt similar to the C30, check out the Carvin Vintage 16 1x12 combo. Similar in format to the Fender Blues Junior (2x EL84s and a 12" speaker), but it sounds like a much bigger amp, without the midrangey 'boxy' bark the Bjrs are known for. The CV16 is half the power of the Peavey, and more tonally versatile. These are now out of production, but you can find 'em 2nd hand. They are built like tanks.

3. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

If you love your C30, how about a Delta Blues or a Classic 20?

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  4. idvc

idvc TDPRI Member

there is no special reason. I just want to buy a new amp. I would like the amp I will buy to be similar to peavey and more versatile

GGardner likes this.
  5. MakerDP

MakerDP TDPRI Member

Heh this probably won’t help but I hated my Classic 30 so I’d say just about anything would be better.

But on a more serious note you really can’t go wrong with the venerable Deluxe Reverb or a Princeton.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  6. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Delta Blues is the same amp as your Classic 30, but in a bigger cab, and it has tremolo and a different speaker configuration (either two 10” or one 15”). It’s a fantastic amp.

Alternatively, since the C30 is somewhat Marshallish, why not get an actual Marshall? The DSL40CR is a great amp; so is the Origin 50, and they’re both relatively inexpensive.

codamedia likes this.
  7. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I have the Classic 50 212, so my first question would be which side you play the most on? Clean or Distorted? If you just want another amp, go to the store and plug into a few.

P Thought likes this.
  8. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

Why not a Vox AC30 for a slightly different flavor.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

1) Take a look at the Laney IRT30 combo.
    30 Laney Watts, which equals brutally loud, but it has power scaling to rein it in if needed. Multiple channels with pre-boost and independent EQ, reverb and a host of other features.
    It can go from shimmering, crystal cleans to all out \m/ metal, all controlled by the supplied footswitch. The EQ section features pull-pots to alter the slope too.

2) Buy a bunch of Joyo/Tech 21 character pedals.
    Flatten your amps EQ and run a character pedal. Use the pedal for the basic amp characteristics and your current amp as a power amp. Much fun to be had. If you decide the Vox or Marshall flavour floats your boat, buy a Vox or Marshall. This way, you may or may not buy another amp, but you'll increase your pedal count -and- have a whole palette of amp flavours at your disposal.

3) Buy a cab.
    Big changes can be had if you treat your amp as a head unit with its own speaker for occasional use and have a decent cab.

4) Go to shops and plug in.

stormsedge and DrBGood like this.
  10. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fender Pro Reverb.

mkdaws32 and Maguchi like this.
  11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Older late '90s to early 2000s Peavey Delta Blues. 15" Blue Marvel speaker, 30 watts, 2 channels, footswitch, tube tremelo, spring reverb and 4 EL84 power tubes. Built like a brick s@#*house. Peavey made tons of 'em, so available on the cheap used. The older USA models got a better speaker and sound and look better than the newer Chinese ones.

PVDeltaBlue.jpg PVDeltaBlue2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  12. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Get a cab and join the world of amp heads. Heads will expand your choices while consuming less floor space than combos.

Maguchi likes this.
  13. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Carvin Vintage 33 or Vintage 50. Tons a used ones out there. Sturdy, well buit, 2 channels, sound good.

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/95-guitaramps.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...HXq8BRAQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1440&bih=815&dpr=2

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  14. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Hmm, verry interestink.

That's the first time I've heard that suggestion in a way that I would think about it. I switched to combos about 20 or 25 years ago for what I thought then was convenience of having the combo amp all together in one enclosure. But since you put it that way, I'm really starting to consider it. Running out of room for amps. Can have a 1x12', 2x10", 2x12" and 4x12" cab with several heads and it would still take up less space than all them combos I got.

15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Vintage Traynor YGM3…..there are many out there…..seriously! 20 watts LOUD el84. Do yourself a favor and look into the vintage hand wired….youll be surprised at their cost.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The new Classic 20 head has a lot of cool modern features, like a headphone out, direct recording, and the ability to work without a speaker without frying the output transformer. These things used to be impossible on an all tube amp, and is still rare at this affordable price. It even has a USB out for recording. It sounds great to me here, and I'm usually not fond of this guy's playing

Okieactor, GreatDaneRock and teleman1 like this.
  17. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I think this would be an excelant choice. I had a C-20 combo, ran hot, but man it loved NOS tubes. A Real Mullard in the v1 really added dynamics and brought a creamier overdrive. This thing with the attentuetor seems KILLER.

DougM and Peegoo like this.
  18. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

Fender Bassbreaker 15

19. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

I concur. My main rehearsal and recording amp is a Classic 20MH, killer. I just bought a Classic 30 Special Edition, made in USA, because I wanted a gigging amp that gave me the same tone and feel, just a bit louder and in a combo style package. Win!!

I do not use the drive options of the Classic 20 or 30, I'm a pedal board player, my dirt comes from pedals. I use them as clean platforms. I replaced V1 with a 5751 on both amps and have great cabs for the 20 mini head, and the Classic 30 comes with a Celestion G12 V-type 70 Watt speaker, slays.

DougM likes this.
  20. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a C20 combo. Great amp.

And yes, this is what I paid for it off the used pile at a GC about eight years ago. Fitty bucks out the door. It worked perfectly, and still does. I'll probably never find a deal like this one again.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.