Recommend me a TS-style pedal along these lines...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RaistMagus, Apr 3, 2012.

1. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

I've tried the MXR GT-OD. It had a nice sound but after a few minutes my ears started to ache from the piercing, edgy, artificial distortion. Moreover it wasn't true bypass and though it sounded nice when on, when off my guitar's tone went down the drain.

I tried the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive which I liked. Nice distortion and true bypass. But I'm concerned about it's big footprint (and weight), shiny, not clearly visible knobs and reliability issues (knobs mainly).

I did like a lot the only TC Electronic pedal I've owned, the Flashback delay. Awsome switchable buffer, superb construction (you can't dent the paint while in MXR pedals the paint falls of almost by itself), small footprint and great audio quality.

Does TC Electronic have a TS style pedal? Could you suggest any other TS-style pedals with true bypass, more drive than the original TS and nice overall quality, under 150euros?

2. bossking7

bossking7 Tele-Afflicted

TC makes the Mojo Mojo OD, you can look up demos, but im not sure its a TS style pedal. MXR makes the custom modified OD which is a TS type.

3. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

HBE Power Screamer............look it up. It's more powerful TS style with a boost switch, awesome:D

4. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Tele-Meister

Put a Timmy or Tim on order from Paul C. and wait a couple months for the (arguably) best overdrive out.

5. ProdableOne

ProdableOne TDPRI Member

6. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

To my mind, the best TS variant out there is the Way Huge Green Rhino. Absolutely gorgeous pedal and the extra EQ knobs give it a ton of versatility. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

7. Suttykins

Suttykins Tele-Meister

Maxon OD9 or OD808, take your pick.

Both have true bypass (if that sort of thing matters to you) and the original JRC IC chip but more importantly it's a quality, sturdy bit of kit and priced appropriately.

Just got an OD9 and it's the last TS style pedal I'll ever need.

8. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

+ 1 Maxon OD9. Got mine used for $100 and love it.

+ 1 Flashback Delay. Doesn't the mojo od

9. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Sorry fat finger reply.

Doesn't the Mojo OD have Toneprint? Perhaps a TS Toneprint is available.

10. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Tele-Meister

I need to try one of those. Seems everyone is praising that pedal.

11. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

12. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

I think the TC Nova Drive is the same as the drive section of the Nova System.
    If so, it's a TS based OD and distortion but a lot more sweeter and more "creamier".

13. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Try the MXR Custom Badass Modified OD. A TS variant with a bass control. I like it. You'll laugh at this, but get a Boss SD-1 and cut out the C6 diode. I got the mod from forum member .011. Its been my favorite OD now for 3 weeks. Smooth and juicy. Just love it. They're only about $40 new, I think, and you can find them used for half that. A lot of people like the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and they just came out with a "new and improved" version. The Way Huge Rhino is very popular here. The company is owned by Dunlop, which also owns MXR. I think the MXR pedal I mentioned above is pretty similar, but about $50 less.

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Great pedal but I think it's more of a distortion pedal. I don't think of the Timmy as an overdrive. I had a Timmy for about 2 years. Distortion with lots of chime and clarity (I think). Paul is an absolute gentleman.

Overdrive?

Try a BBE GreenScreamer or the Lutherdrive made by Gearmanndude. Both are "warmer" TS-808's. Great pedals.

The GreenScreamer can be found on eBay for $50 or less. Built like a tank. Very warm and you can hear your guitar through the overdrive.

The Luther is built 100% by hand in Kentucky and it has a bit more gain than an 808 and the tone pot is usable through its whole sweep.

15. ludashoeless

ludashoeless Tele-Afflicted

i just got a joyo vintage overdrive.... $45 w/ priority shipping

16. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

+1 on the Luther drive - A comment posted on youtube was "The Luther drive is pretty much the same as the TS808, but the Luther drive has a bigger schlong."

I am yet to A/B my Luther with my 808, but I've only had it a day.

Anyway, +1 on the Luther, great pedal all handwired, looks really good inside.

17. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Tele-Meister

Got a Luther Drive too. Quite a nice pedal. As is the Mad Professor Little Green Wonder. I'm not denying the Paul C. pedals being close to distortion, but i cant say they aren't overdrives still. This was my compare/contrast last night. I wanted to get down to only two drive boxes, still undecided on the second, but the Tim is already on the board for sure. YMMV though.

Attached Files:

18. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

Seems that there are tons of tubescreamer pedals out there! I should have been more specific in my first post then.

This pedal is going to be off most of the time so I need it to be true bypass. I don't have a long chain and tb pedals are the way to go for me.

I want more drive than the grit of the original tubescreamers. And I'd like the sound to be well defined even in the higher drive settings.

I found something annoying, fake and artificial in the MXR GT-OD's sound. (I don't know if clipping is the right word). Will all TSs sound like that?

Under 150euros

Small footprint, versatility and green color are pluses.

I liked the Green Rhino a lot on youtube demos.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  19. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

That's a beautiful pile of stuff right there. Drooling.......

[​IMG]

The gold one is on my wish list for someday.

Nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.