1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommend me a (preferably inexpensive) USA-made graphic EQ pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 23, 2020.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

isn't it possible to re-house the Dano Fish n Chips?

aFewGoodTaters and Lashdog like this.
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow 60 posts and counting, half of which saying get the Boss GE7. This is about as close to a unanimous consensus you are ever likely to get around here.

That Cal Webway and El Tele Lobo like this.
  3. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

Had a Boss GR 7 many years ago but it was noisy so I never used it. Never had it modded though.

4. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

After reading the first page of responses I have to ask....has anyone every had a jar that they put money in to save up to buy anything they really wanted, vacation or otherwise?

This was once a very common practice. Instant gratification can be disappointing while being patient can be rewarding IMHO. Just a thought.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I have one of these on my 1959 Fender Champ at home. It works well.

That Cal Webway and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i build the stuff and have been on the manufacturing side of it, so i don't want to overpay for something. i've bought synth equpiment that took a lot of engineering, programming or uses milspec hardware, and is entirely domestically produced, for like 3-500 dollars. so i feel sort of insulted being charged around that kind of money for an analog guitar pedal, especially when it's not up to those standards, probably took very little R&D and was manufactured relatively cheaply. i don't think i'd pay over 150 for an EQ.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

8. kaludjerko

kaludjerko Tele-Meister

Central frequencies that they have chosen look very interesting. Must be a totally different animal than regular GE7.

gitapik likes this.
  9. Analog Utopia

Analog Utopia TDPRI Member

I know you’ve said Graphic, but I hope you don’t mind my plus 1 on the EQD Tone Job. I see another member recommended it. I had a GE-7 for years, but experienced tone suck (only minor, but definitely noticeable). So when I was looking for a new EQ, I listened very carefully to all the YT reviews and concluded the Tone Job was/is completely true to the bypassed signal and does not color it adversely when the pedal is on or off. I’m very happy with mine.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. NiteGoat

NiteGoat TDPRI Member

Yep. I have one, which I got in like new condition (original packaging/paperwork/power supply) from craigslist, for $40. It is one of my "always on" pedals.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. NiteGoat

NiteGoat TDPRI Member

I have the older version with the red LEDs. But I know what you mean about the blue LEDS; I have a couple of other pedals with them, and they are blinding.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. NiteGoat

NiteGoat TDPRI Member

13. NiteGoat

NiteGoat TDPRI Member

After adjusting the frequencies on my MXR 10 Band, I did have to bump down the level adjustment on the EQ, to get the same volume as my amp, when the EQ is not engaged.

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Reminds me of the Mosky Golden Horse...what’s in those blue leds?

15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe it’s a Chinese plot to blind us all and steal our gear...

16. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

As far as anti-Chinese buying, you'll have to stop shopping at Walmart first, as 70% of the goods in their chain of stores comes from China. To compete with Walmart, Target and all the other retail stores now get a majority of their products from China as well. Its pretty much already out of control. In the US we have around 300 million people and a constant job shortage. In China they have 1.3 billion people and they have a job surplus (more jobs than people). If you want that to change you'll need to call your Congress-people because they are the ones making it happen or have the power to close the trade door with China.

'Nuff said about that...

As far as foreign goods, I have some excellent quality guitars made in Indonesia. They've been doing fine quality wood-working in Indonesia for centuries, long before there was an Orville Gibson, Leo Fender or Paul Reed Smith (do we always need to use his middle name? LOL). The big name guitar makers limit the quality of guitars made overseas on purpose. Lesser wood, lesser electronics, lesser hardware. So don't blame the Asians or the Mexicans for making controlled quality guitars and such. Send en email to the board of directors who specify what these countries can and can't use for wood, electronics and hardware. Upper management set the standards for quality control for anything made for sale in the US that is made out of this country.

--------------------------------

All that said, the EQ on my pedalboard is a Source Audio EQ2 Programmable EQ ($269.00 MAP)
    https://www.sourceaudio.net/eq2_programmable_equalizer.html

Its both a 10-band graphic EQ and a parametric EQ. Scroll down on the link above and check out the view you'll have when you plug it in to the USB of your computer and use their free Neuro Desktop Editor for this pedal. The graphic (GUI) thing looks like a plug-in for a DAW system. You can "move each of the 10 bands to any point on the frequency spectrum from 20 to 20,000Hz. With +/- 18 dB of boost or cut on tap for each band." (quote from SA web page).

In preset extension mode you have 8 presets. Or, if you're wise to using MIDI, 128 presets with MIDI. (You'll need a Neuro Hub device and a MIDI controller for that) (still learning about MIDI).

Plus, its stereo...

And... IMHO Source Audio has the best customer service of any manufacturer I've ever dealt with. I bought a USED Soundblox Orbital Modulator (did I say USED...) on Reverb. I emailed their customer service trying to figure it out. The guy made me my own YouTube video explaining the exact workings and how-to's.

I finally figured out it might be defective so I shipped it to Source Audio. They picked up shipping both ways. They determined the pedal was defective and GRABBED A NOS ONE OFF THE SHELF AND SENT IT TO ME !!!

And did I mention this was a USED pedal I had bought on Reverb?

Since then I have become a 100% Source Audio fanatic. Any company that allows their customer service to go the extra mile even on a used item is one I will throw my money at hand over fist. So I bought (almost) all of their One Series effects.

Plus, once you buy one type of their One Series effects, you have 12 or more algorithms to choose from with the Neuro Desktop Editor. The thing is, their pedals are very easy to use right out of the box. And its up to you if you want to dive deeper with the editor. Some of the products by other manufacturers are way too over techno for me. I'm an old school guy who never went for the all-in-one effects stuff when they came out in the 1980s. I just like single pedals. Well, SA designs there stuff easy to use for old guys like me, or as deep as you want to go for the generation that was born with a cell phone attached to their head and got their first laptop computer at age 2 (not me...).

IMHO, well worth the $269 price tag. Source Audio seems to be a bit of a sleeper in the forums, their Soundblox series was a bit qwerky to use. But their One Series is just up my tree.
    https://www.sourceaudio.net/products-one-series.html

BTW, their L.A. Lady Overdrive has 50 extra algorithms with the desktop editor...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    El Tele Lobo and Tim S like this.
  17. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

If you buy used Chinese products they don't get money from you because they already got it.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

I'm interested in knowing this as well. I love the sound and functionality of the Dan-O Fish n Chips, but don't love the cheap build. If anyone has a method for re-housing, please share.

19. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Another vote for the Boss GE-7. They work great, sound good and they're built like a brick s#@%house!
    20201129_182423.jpg

20. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

I have a GE-7 that I sent to AnalogMan for the noise mod. It’s a really good pedal. Another EQ that I’m hoping is really good is the Mesa Throttle Box EQ. Comes with a free high-gain dirt pedal built right in.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.