1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommend me a (preferably inexpensive) USA-made graphic EQ pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 23, 2020.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I'm waiting for a used Danelecto Fish N Chips to show up from Guitar Center. Many EQs are true bypass, the Dano has a buffer. I specifically wanted that as I'm putting in the FX loop in the new 4 cable method setup on my board.

Gives me gain, EQ and a buffer in that cable run now.

ForgeHound and El Tele Lobo like this.
  2. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

Most “made in USA” pedals (at least for the bigger players) means the final assembly is USA. The parts are Chinese and the board fab and population is most likely done in China. Sometimes Taiwan. Power supplies are probably bought from Chinese suppliers and rebranded and tested. The enclosures and screen printing can go either way.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I mentioned it in last week's EQ thread, and that IMO the frequencies that MB chose will probably work better for some guitarists, maybe with the exception of the slider for 6.6KHz, but yeah, definitely not inexpensive.

If the MB 5-band replicates what's in the Mark series of amps, then the high cost is possibly (at least partially) due to it using inductors, whereas most graphic EQs simply use what are called 'gyrators'.

IMO, that's a lot of coin for just 5 fixed bands. I'd personally be looking at the WMD Utility Parametric EQ, or the Tech 21 Q\Strip first (both are cheaper), even if they might not be MIA. That said, I think the WMD stuff is actually at least assembled in Colorado...

telestratosonic and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Look. I know you guys like a challenge...

5. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

That's a great insight into an EQ pedal. My favourite tricks with a ge7 is to add some mids back to a blackface style amp, or even add some tubescreamer tones to an OD pedal.
    I get it about the imprecise nature of the sliders but that's why the tone knob is your friend.

6. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure MXR stuff is assembled in the US. The 6 band EQ at $90 and 'assembled in the US' is probably about as close as you'll get to satisfying both requirements.

I used a Dan-O Fish N Chips for years. People shouldn't sleep on this pedal...it is great for the money. They don't have the sturdiest construction which could be a deterrant for people who gig a lot or otherwise have a lot of wear and tear on their gear.

El Tele Lobo and joe_cpwe like this.
  7. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Personally, I think most people have an easier time connecting with graphic EQs, because you can physically "see" the character of the sound and adjust as you hear it. Parametric EQs allow for better fine tuning, but take some messing around to figure out. I prefer graphic EQs, but the Wampler is really a great pedal.

My personally board goes: Peterson Tuner > Boss SD-1 > Wampler EQ > Phase 90. Only 4 pedals, and it's good enough to be one of them. Boss EQ is a close second to the Wampler, though.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

VFE Rocket is a great eq, usa made and for the price, its a steal relative to the quality.

edit: oh nevermind you want a graphic.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. El Tele Lobo

I will give it a look, thank you!

10. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Behringer has one for $28 and free shipping on Sweetwater (and similar retailers). It’s not made in USA, but it does use all ethically sourced components.

11. Phye

Phye TDPRI Member

Not made in the US, not exactly cheap, but the best eq pedal for sure.

upload_2020-11-27_8-15-9.png

12. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Boss GE-7. I had mine modded by Xact Tone Solutions. They target the mid ranges that are specific to the guitar. Very effective.

kaludjerko likes this.
  13. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Tyuk likes this.
  14. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Up to you but, they are more of a hassle than what they're worth. It can become more of a frustration than a pleaser.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Every time I use it I wonder why it isn’t automatic. What a wonderful little piece indeed.

scottser likes this.
  16. Stain

Stain TDPRI Member

Great video on essential pedals from Tim Pierce. Comments about GE7 start at ~2:16.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

Very nice. I picked one of these up used when I found it for cheap (it smelled like cigar smoke, which luckily wasn't deep and surprisingly disappeared with a simple spray and wipe) to try it out since I heard so many good things about it and having to bring a separate 18v power source for my MXR 10 band gets old especially when you're planning on only using two or three pedals

Couldn't be happier with it, I've played with it fairly frequently for about 6 months now and it has surivived semi-regular travel and plenty of stomping so far

joe_cpwe likes this.
  18. El Tele Lobo

Can you elaborate?

19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This is the KING ,look no further

[​IMG]

That Cal Webway likes this.
  20. Frankentar

Frankentar TDPRI Member

I have a Boss GE-7, which I bought on Craigslist a few years ago. I rarely used it, though, because it was a little noisy, and over the years of sitting around, it got a little dirty inside, too. Aarrrgh.

Eventually, rather than just writing it off, I sent it to Alchemy Audio, where, for 50-something bucks, they replaced a couple components and cleaned it up beautifully. Wow — it’s like having a new pedal! But even better, having a good EQ pedal is like getting some new guitars! It’s really remarkable how many ways this little box can enhance the sound of an instrument.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.