1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommend me a (preferably inexpensive) USA-made graphic EQ pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 23, 2020.

1. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Boss Ge-7 is a classic and can be had for a reasonable price. It's up to you to decide whether the buffer bothers you or not, but that's really the only issue that comes up.

If the buffer is a problem, check out the Wampler EQuator. High quality, a little pricey at $150 new, but it's worth every penny. It's marketed as somewhere between a graphic and parametric EQ, maybe a little closer to parametric if you ask me. Is there a reason you specified a graphic EQ pedal?

Edit: I just checked to see where Boss pedals are manufactured. Most non-Waza pedals are made in Taiwan.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm still learning about them. Is not graphic more tweak able than parametric? I'm still a newb as regards EQ...

I could do Taiwan. Just really not interested in helping China any more than I can help it. I can always buy used in a pinch.

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Are there ANY graphic eqs built in the states?

I like my MXR 10-band but I wouldn't call it inexpensive. Should have held out for the newer one with 2 outputs.

4. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

Ooops!

5. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

I had one of the new silver colored MXR 10 band EQs. I think these are an upgrade over the previous black version. It is very transparent and quiet and there is no immediate noticeable difference between the dry bypassed signal VS the pedal engaged but set completely flat. The blue LEDs are ridiculously bright though... don't get me wrong, it's nice to see your pedals especially when playing on a dark stage or in bright sunlight, but these blue LEDs on the MXR EQ are nearly offensively bright (IMO).

If you're only planning to use with guitar you can probably save a few bucks and get the MXR 6 band. The 10 band has an added gain and level controls and can cover a wider spectrum of instruments and applications.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. gabeNC

gabeNC TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Another vote for the MXR 10 band, running the second output to my boomerang. I get "all the tones" from this pedal, it's very flexible. The leds are crazy, stupid bright. I left the pedalboard on when I went out for dinner, I'm driving home, pull into the driveway thought there was a rave going on.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

How does the 6 band MXR EQ pedal compare to the 10 band? Do 31Hz, 8K and 16K bands make a noticable difference for an electric guitar?

SuprHtr, Obsessed and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

As far as those extra frequencies on the 10 band...I would say no, they aren't very noticeable or needed for a guitar. Especially on the low end. I'm speaking from experience, others may be able to provide more technical guidance on this however.

The 10 band has both level and gain boosts so it can be used as a clean boost or to drive the next pedal / amp in the chain. It also has two outputs for those who would require or utilize that. Keep in mind that the 10 band runs on 18 volts and takes up quite a bit of real estate on a board. If I was go get one again, I'd probably opt for the 6 band, but it's all in how one would be using it and what features are needed. Honestly, its the bright LEDs that are holding me back from getting another.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Tech21 Q Strip. VERY useful piece of kit.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

No, it's the other way around. Parametric gives you much more surgical control, IMO.

With a graphic, the exact frequencies that can be adjusted are fixed. The fixed frequencies tend to be divided up into octaves.

With a parametric, you choose the precise frequency that you want. Then you adjust the 'Q', which sort of controls how 'focused' it is at the given frequency (I'm trying to give a non-technical description with this choice of words). Just to give reference, a Q of 2.1 is about 2/3 of an octave, and a Q of 4.3 is about 1/3 of an octave.

I'm personally particularly big on precise midrange frequencies, and never found the typical graphic EQ choices of 800 Hz (for a 7-band) or 1KHz (for a 10-band) to provide the appropriate precision.

Also, even though someone might think that the frequency response matches to how they set the sliders on a graphic EQ, it doesn't work that way. You get interaction with adjacent sliders.

Graphic EQs also tend to provide adjustability at frequencies where it's just not needed, IMO. Your amp won't produce much stuff above 5KHz tops, yet 7-bands will usually have a slider at 6.4KHz, and 10-bands will usually have sliders at 8KHz and 16KHz. The 10-band then has a similar thing with the bass stuff, with sliders at 62.5Hz and 31.25Hz. The 6th string on a guitar in standard tuning is ~82.4Hz, and many guitar speakers start rolling off bass higher than that (~100Hz).

The BIG CAVEAT with a parametric EQ is that it's rarely just a plug n' play pedal. They just simply aren't intuitive, and how they need to be set to work with your rig, for your specific uses, tends to make them even that much harder to get dialed in. That's why graphic EQs are much more popular for guitar, IMO, even if they aren't optimized for it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    scottser and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for schooling me, @11 Gauge. I have a lot to learn.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

6 Band MXR will do you good. I bought one used and sold it ten years later for the same price. If you are on stage, the sliders have little red lights and what some people do not know is the white graphics of the pedal illuminate in the dark. 6 bands is kind of enough to get away with like the Boss and the Dano F&C, whereas the MXR 10 band just makes finer choices. BTW, as I recall, the 10 band required more than 9 VDC for power.

Oh and the MXR 6 band does not have the level adjustment that the Boss nor the Dano have.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Marc Morfei and El Tele Lobo like this.
  13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Boss or MXR. I have the MXR. It's a tank. I agree that the 10-band graphic ones are overkill for electric guitars as you are adjusting the highest and lowest frequencies that are barely there in the signal.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. Mexitele Blues

Intermodulation distortion can create tones below the fundamental. Removing these frequencies allows the rest of the signal chain to devote full power to the audible frequencies.

Try this - set up your EQ after your drive pedals, and dial in a gnarly tone. Now pull down the sliders for 80hz and under. When you step on the switch, do you hear a slight volume change?

15. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

16. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Got this for $2 at a rummage sale. OK for the price and AC powered.

[​IMG]

17. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Inexpensive and USA made? Come on, don't we know better by now?

18. Mexitele Blues

Never seen that one before. Always on?

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

My vote is as always the Boss GE-7.

If supporting China is a concern buy used so they don't get another profit or simply consider it a small concession compared to the electronics you already own and use daily in your home and office at a much higher total value.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.