1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommend me a (preferably inexpensive) USA-made graphic EQ pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 23, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks to a couple of thread here recently, I've become interesting in EQ pedals, and, as I'm almost done with X-ray school (and will hopefully be working again soon), it's time to start thinking about revisiting my pedalboard plans. I prefer USA made pedals, if possible. Will look at mini and regular size. Thanks, guys (for the G.A.S. and the forthcoming recommendations).

telestratosonic and Terrygh1949 like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

MXR 10 band.
    No personal experience, but I can't imagine you could go wrong with it

3. El Tele Lobo

I should probably expand my request to include Japan. Really just want to avoid Chinese stuff.

telestratosonic likes this.
  4. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

No longer have a physical graphic EQ pedal. I did have a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal years ago which I rarely used. I still use my old rack-mounted Soundcraftsman (like this) which works great for line level signals; 2 channels, too. For practice or bedroom use, your cheapest option may not be a physical pedal. I use the 6 band EQ in Amplitube or the built-in EQ in GarageBand when I’m practicing through my iPad or laptop with headphones. You can use a variety of apps as virtual pedals out to an amp. You may already have this to play with.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

One man’s expensive is another man’s pocket change. I use a BOSS EQ-200 and couldn’t be more pleased. At $250 it’s well worth the money. I use it to roll off high or low frequencies, sometimes both for playing clean. Rolling off lows improves clarity from Filter-tron and HB pickups. Rolling off high frequencies tames a Strat. The four memories cover five guitars. The pedal can be used for boost as well. 9dB boost can be used without adding noise above my Boogie tube amp. That 9dB adds a very pleasing fullness and compression to the sound. The pedal is made in Malaysia, not China, but not here either. Not only would I recommend this one to a friend, it’s the most satisfying gear purchases I’ve ever made. It does exactly what I need from it at what to me is a pretty reasonable price.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

The Boss GE7 finds it's way to many professional rigs. If you are on the cheap you can try a rack mount unit. They are all over ebay for under $100. Some people go with 2 GE7s, one for rhythm sound and then a second as a midrange boost on guitar solos. You can do the same thing with a rack mount unit that is stereo, one side rhythm, one side lead. I know that there are chip upgrade kits for the Boss as well, to reduce noise.

Just saw JL_LI's post above. That's a great recommendation because it has multiple options which would accomplish the same thing as two of the GE7s.

Maguchi and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

your search criteria may preclude a boss ge-7 but it really shouldn't - they are a seriously versatile piece of kit.

Maguchi, Muadzin, Manual Slim and 2 others like this.
  8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Take a look at the JRAD I.Q. - its an eq with a compressor as well. Pretty versatile and bang for buck - you can find them used/demo in the low 100s.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. mcfm2n

mcfm2n Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have used a GE-7 for years. Great pedal.

Maguchi, Wobbles, Marc Morfei and 3 others like this.
  10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I'd think that the vast majority of currently produced graphic EQs for guitar are probably made in places like China or Taiwan. Maybe some are also now made in Indonesia or Vietnam, but I can't imagine there being anything like that that's MIJ.

The truth be told, a graphic EQ contains a simple and straightforward circuit. The biggest downfalls IMO of the cheaper ones are mainly in the form of noise, and the bands not being more accurately 'tuned' to the frequencies they're supposed to boost/cut. IMO, the latter isn't a deal breaker with a graphic EQ, because most graphics aren't really optimized at frequencies for 6 string guitar anyway.

...So that just leaves the noise issue. I'd just personally go with something that has been found by enough users to have acceptably lower noise in stock form.

Jakedog and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

Have this one and it's everything you'd ever need it to be, 9/10 would recommend

Only downsides are 18v (not a downside for some) and the blue lights on it are ridiculously bright, if you thought blue lights on pedals were bright, there's about 12 of them on this one, enough to light your face blue on a dark stage, I find myself having to place a postcard size somethingorother on it if I'm in a dark room

12. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

DANELECTRO FISH AND CHIPS 7 BAND EQ EFFECTS PEDAL

If you don't know if you really want one forever, and you don't want to drop more than $50, get one of these. They work fine. The plastic housing may not be ideal for rigorous travel, but for mostly home use this pedal is a great intro to EQ pedals.

13. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Inexpensive *and* US-made EQ pedal? Does such a thing exist at all?

14. El Tele Lobo

Haha...that's why I'm asking here!

15. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

That's exactly my experience. Sounds good, and using it in my dim practice space is like staring down high beams on a country road.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  16. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

Yes exactly

And just practically even if for some reason you don't mind being blinded by bright lights, it makes it hard to see any of the controls on your other pedals

Edgar Allan Presley likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I'm using a Caline 10 Band that working pretty well for me in spite of it being a dreaded Chinese made pedal.

If I were to upgrade, I'd go with the MXR 10 Band due to the 18v headroom, additional gain and second output options.

DougM, NiteGoat and blowtorch like this.
  18. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  19. blowtorch

That's a great one, but there is no way that's US Made

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. blowtorch

I've got two of em (Caline) and I love em

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.