1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommend me a phaser please

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axegrinder77, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

I would recommend you try the EVH Phase 90, which gives you a lot versatility in the normal size enclosure which can take a battery and be adjusted on the fly with your foot. The Phase 95 (which I also own) has the additional Phase 45 mode, but I would always choose to use my Fulltone Deja Vibe over the Phase 95 in instances where I wanted the kind of phase sound that the Phase 45 mode produces.

I like phasers and, in addition to the MXR phasers and the Deja Vibe mentioned, I also have a nano EHX Small Stone. The Small Stone is warmer than the MXR Phase 90 and the sweep is a little bit wider (on the less intense, “down” color switch setting, it sounds more psychedelic with less treble edginess than the Phase 90). My SS doesn’t have a big volume drop like the originals did, but it doesn’t “cut” as much as the Phase 90. I prefer the MXR overall, especially with Teles, but I often use the Small Stone with my Les Paul that has BurstBucker Pro pickups, which can overload the Phase 90 at times. Ymmv.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  2. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

If I were shopping for one, it would have to be something like the Retro-Sonic. At least it has a level control:

Axegrinder77 and superjam144 like this.
  3. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

+1. You have your Phase 90 and Phase 45 both in one unit with scripted versions of both in one mini pedal!

DavidP, Jakedog and stormsedge like this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

:) I was going to recommend the Nebula. I had an old Tone Factor (pre Mojo Hand FX) Nebula on my board for years. I tried the Wampler Terraform but it was way too complicated for me. I ended up getting an Empress Nebulus and like it a lot.

0668FA8F-D37D-4E51-B3F8-AC212A40F94C.jpeg

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  5. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity

Well, it's probably a bit over the top and takes up a lot of room on a pedalboard (I put mine in the chain but on the floor) but the Warm Audio Jet Phaser sounds absolutely amazing and is a lot of fun to mess around with. You can use it with or without the built in fuzz. I love mine.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  6. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I agree this is probably your best bet for affordable versatility.

Jakedog and stormsedge like this.
  7. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

I wanted to like the Phase 95, but for me it was not as good as my Phase 90. I'm really happy with all the phase options in my Strymon Mobius, but for a single pedal I'd look at the Phase 100 - this is the Some Girls phase pedal...

Other thing is to play with placement - phase before overdrive sounds very different than after.

8. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

DOD Phasor 201 is affordable and to my ears chewier and more musical than the MXRs (I have both a Script RI 90 and a 95). Really rich but doesn't overpower the actual guitar tone.

Tele56 and ndcaster like this.
  9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

+1

I have no others to compare mine to, but I sure do like it for Waylon sounds.

Tele56, Telecaster88 and Fiesta Red like this.
  10. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

A phaser I highly recommend is the Whirlwind Orange Box. This pedal is designed and assembled by members of the original MXR company. It's basically an original design Phase 90 (pre-Dunlop). It's a little smoother than the block logo current-production Phase 90 and does not drastically overtake the original guitar signal.

I bought mine and did an AB between the Whirlwind and my standard Phase 90 - there was no comparison. The Whirlwind has remained on my board since. Another bonus to Whirlwind pedals is that they're true bypass, so no tone suck! :)

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing current MXR pedals; they sound great, too. I'm hoping to try the script Phase 90 reissue at some point.

Good luck on your search! :)

Telecaster88 likes this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

My favorites:

-MXR Phase 90
    -MXR Phase 45
    -Ibanez PH-9 (or the extremely cheap and delicate SoundTank PH-5)...the Ibanez is totally (and tonally) different than the MXR models, but is still a great device.

For the last 23+ years I have had a vintage block logo Phase 90 (which has a script circuit board in it) on my Big Ol’ Board of Sonic Bliss...I love it, but I’m curious about the Phase 95 and the DOD Phasor 201...

...a curiosity that is soon to be addressed...

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had and have 20-30 phasers including phase 45 and phase 90.

Suggestions that the 45 is warmer than the 90 are IMO confusing the issue.
    Reissue Dunlop versions of MXR circuits tend to do a lousy job, then charge extra to sell you a "custom" version that's as good or almost as good as the originals.

What the 45 does is a more subtle phase, not a warmer phase.

The Dunlop/ MXR custom shop phase 90 is great and sounds like old Scripts, which do not sound like old block logos, because those circuits got changed numerous times.
    Dunlop has made a ridiculous number of different versions of the Phase 90, and even the same version got changed without notice.

Better still than Dunlop, the original MXR designer builder is now called "Whirlwind", and they make the Orange Box phaser, which sounds great, is TBP, and had an LED and power jack. Sounds great, exact same circuit as the most coveted original Script logo.
    No lack of "warmth" if that's a concern.

The Dunlop custom shop reissue of the script, as opposed to the Dunlop script reissue, as opposed to the Dunlop block Phase 90, as opposed to the EVH phase 90 etc etc, comes in several versions for originality, so the LED and power jack are not vintage correct etc etc.
    IOW the Dunlop MXR CS that is the best is commonly sold without the modern TBP/ LED/ jack, but some have those modern updates.

I've owned a few of the Dunlop reissues of old MXR pedals and all but the CS reissues are cost cutting downgrades.
    The EVH phase 90 with the script/ block switch is funny, and sounds OK, but that little switch doesn't actually change from the newer circuit to the original circuit. If you look at the two there are too many differences to put on a mini toggle.
    I'd guess it's a tone change to make the script sound "warmer"?
    Because that's a handy word that everybody assumes must be better?

Maxon makes a couple of good phasers too but the original P90 circuit form either the dunlop CS or Whirlwind are really great phasers and will not do you wrong. A deal on a used Dunlop/ MXR/ CS/ with the modern options, is fine too, if you see one.

Looking at the Dunlops again, they seem to offer a not really CS version in the CS where the custom one has case mounted jacks like the originals but the "regular CS" has the same build as the non CS with board mounted jacks.
    Seems the real CS version is called '74 vintage, so the other version gets a CS name but isn't really CS aside from the pain job.
    I find this annoying, where they offer lots of versions of sorta the same thing, but they aren't the same.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

4E390A9D-B35B-4370-B6F2-2525E3B4D8C1.jpeg Can’t find em all but here’s a few, the 90 in the box is the top tier CS 74 and the 45 is the next level down CS while the block 90 is a pre Dunlop original that’s again different circuit from the rest.
    The boxed 90 is the CS 74 and sounds indistinguishable from the Whirlwind, because they are identical circuits from different companies, with the whirlwind being the actual original designer.
    As opposed to Dunlop who bought MXR and made lesser copies for a couple of decades before finally catching on to the growing value of the better sounding script circuit.
    The Maxon is nice but a little bass in the sweep, which might be confused with warmer.
    The whirlwind doesn’t say orange box and the box isn’t orange either, but the writing is orange!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  14. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I have had a few and now happy with the TC Electronics Helix Phaser. It gets extremely close to everything out there and more. I know its all digital recreations, and if you are a home only player you can tell the difference from the originals, but live, I doubt it. And picked it up for $50 used.
    Helix.jpg

15. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Phase 95...can't believe no one has mentioned it :lol::lol::lol::lol:.

16. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

EHX Small Stone Works for me .

17. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

EHX Bad Stone! American made and around $70. Really nice.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  18. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Have you tried the bad Stone? I’ve been a small stone fan for years and finally decided to try the bad Stone. Love it! Different but still lush EHX phase and more options.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  19. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I like pedals that can do more than one thing, generally. Have you thought about a Univibe? I have an EQD Depths and it does phaser just fine. Then it will do several other things as well.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  20. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Ended up with the Wampler terraform. Couldn't resist a black Friday deal. Just got it, played for around half hour. So far so good. Everything seems useable and tweakable enough.

Couldn't find a phase 45, and the script 90 has no led, and worse, no power jack... Deal breaker for me. The 95 didn't really do it for me. I like the 45 script mode though.

I like the idea of so many modulation options. It can be overkill, but I plan to utilize the 8 presets and stick with those for as long as possible until I need fresh ones. 8 presets is a good smart number by Mr Wampler.

No tone suck either, which is common in mod pedals IME. True bypass and what seems like good components.

Happy NPD to me!!

Telecaster88 and paulblackford like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.