recommend me a neo 12" speaker!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jupiter, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I recently bought a Quilter 101 mini, and now I'm trying to shrink my speaker cabinet to match. I currently have a Celestion G12H 30 in a pretty big semi-open pine box. I like that speaker, but I don't LOVE it, so I'm thinking about building a more compact cab with a lighter speaker.

Ideally, my new speaker would be
    • 12"
    • 100W or better
    • Heavenly sound
    • As efficient as the G12H
    • 15 grams
    • 30 dollars
    But I'm willing to compromise a bit on the last three points. :D and actually, I don't think I'm super picky about the third point either...

What I want is a 100+ watt neodymium 12" that is on the inexpensive side. It'll also have to be a fairly common make, so I can get it in Japan.

If it helps, I usually play pretty low-gain, cleanish. In the past, I was getting some grind just from cranking up my little 6-watt VHT, but I hardly ever go past classic rock/Rolling Stones territory, gain-wise. I have a ZOOM MFX pedal that's going to be most of my amp sound going forward (the Quilter will likely be set VERY clean), so clean and clear will be fine.

I am also considering just buying the DVMark Neoclassic 112 Small, to get things done and dusted. I can get one of those for about four hundred bucks. If I build my own cab, I'll prolly use the same dimensions as that one.

So hit me with some model numbers!

Tx

Snfoilhat likes this.
  2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

3. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Take a look at the DV Mark Jazz 0208 as well...a couple of us use one with a Tone Block 201 (I run it paired with a 1x12 cab 300w).

I have two 1x12 cabinets with neo speakers...cannot speak to how heavenly they are (also, they are new and no where near broken in), but they sound good to me:

---Celestion Orange Label BN12-300S (300w) 8ohm (this is the one used in the Quilter Tone Dock cab)
    ---Eminence Lil' Texas 125w 8ohm

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. Jupiter

thanks. Yeah, these look pretty good. They are at the very upper end of what I'm willing to spend (and beyond the upper end of what I'm HOPING to spend...).

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

They are a bit pricey. I purchased my speakers from a Reverb seller...the Lil' Texas for $99 new...and the BN12-300S for $139 new.

Btw, the DV Mark Jazz 208 is on sale at MF for $250 right now.

6. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Lil Texas is probably your best bet for what you are looking for and they are cheap relative to other options.

Chiogtr4x and DavidP like this.
  7. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Eminence Legend EM12N. It is a Neo version of their EM12 Electrovoice copy. 200W rating. I've had one for about a month in my Blues Jr. and it makes the little amp sound much bigger than it is.

8. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I've used the Tonkerlite in a Fromel-modded Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

It's got a good spread of tone, made the amp sound really really good, with loads of bottom end, but the highs were just a little too ice-picky for my tastes. Could have been the amp, and probably could have done with more speaker break-in.

It's definitely a speaker I am re-considering for my 6G3 clone that will be arriving soon.

Jupiter likes this.
  9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

The only neo speaker I have is the Eminence Lil Texas and I have no complaints. I bought it to use with my Mark DV Little 250 head.

Jupiter likes this.
  10. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Then I got bad news, because @Askwhy is breaking down the truth here:

And it retails for $160.

Weber currently offers one neo-mag speaker (based on my quick scan of their site). It's modeled after the 15" JBL D-130/F. And it retails for $250.

Here's the neo version of the Celestion G12:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...lestion-g12-neo-creamback-guitar-speaker-8ohm

And it retails for $160

I'm definitely guilty of assigning no value to my own time, but I'm confident in your ability to glue up a pine box for less than $250 of time and materials. I also understand the value of buying the completed thing, because the goal (I think?) is playing music, not homebrew cabinetry, but...it's a pine box. World's first DPP speaker cabinet?

Alternatively, just stalk used listings until the thing you want (or a reasonable facsimile) turns up.

11. r1962j

r1962j Tele-Meister

I would put in a vote for a Celestion BN12-300s. That is the speaker that is in the Quilter MicroPro 12 HD. I have one and it sounds great! They are $150 but well worth the price I think. Celestion Classic Lead 80 punch with a 300 watt rating.

Jupiter likes this.
  12. Jupiter

8” speakers?? I might not be ready for that yet...

Hmm, seems so. It’s not beyond reach, but will require a couple months to save up.

A bit rich for my blood...

Actually, the first real bit of guitar DIY-etry I ever posted about here was a speaker cabinet! Building stuff like this is definitely a hobby, so I don’t factor in my time either, but if I make another cab, I’ll still have to get parts, maybe shipped from the States if I can’t source them here (I ordered a bunch of stuff from mojotone last time, but maybe I’m a better shopper now), and I’m confident I’ll end up not saving a whole lot of money... The good part is that building something usually spreads out the expenditures over time, whereas a DVMark cab would mean dropping a chunk of cash at once. I could strip the hardware from my first cab, but I’m not emotionally prepared to let go of that cab yet. Which is a problem, though: it’s kinda big...

Used stuff in Japan tends to be pretty nice—Japanese consumers are sticklers for condition—but it adds a bit of complexity to the transaction.

13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Alter and Shango66 like this.
  14. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I run a few quilters and light cabs.
    Cabs I’m very happy with...
    1. the celestion creamback neo 12” in a Vox night train cab.
    2. dv Mark 1x12 cab with stock neo speaker....this is as lightweight and powerful as you’ll get.

15. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

...another +1 for the Lil Texas.

jackal and Jupiter like this.
  16. Jupiter

hmm, yeah but it’s about 150 bucks here...

yeah, that dvmark is a strong contender, if I end up not building one like it. Can I ask: what is the box made of?

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

If you can find a non "vintage? Century neo by Celestion.
    A couple of vox amps had them. I had one.
    Closest thing to a big EV. They do not make anymore.

Jupiter likes this.
  18. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

I have a Lil' Texas paired with a WGS G12C in a 2x12. Sounds great. The Lil' Texas on it's own is a bit bright, but not bad and can usually be tamed with eq. They also require a bit of break in (I bought mine new).

Jupiter and stormsedge like this.
  19. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

My Neo setup for my Quilter 201. Both are excellent.
    [​IMG]

Shango66, stormsedge and Jupiter like this.
  20. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

LiL Texas is a great speaker

jackal likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.