Recommend Me a Micro Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by WrayGun, Jun 14, 2021.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

So many little toy amps out there … I’m just looking for some kind of a tiny amplifier that still sounds reasonably decent, that I can take out on the patio, or stash next to my easy chair and play at a moderate volume. And … doesn’t sound like sheet, and won’t break within the first few weeks.

Anyone have any first-hand experience with such an animal? I’d really love to hear about it :)

Arfage likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Right here
    The Roland Micro Cube
    A few $$, but not a toy ( plus a Line Out to go into a board/other clean amp...)
    It is amazing what you get for the money- good amp models, effects, plenty of volume and AC or battery power...
    20210521_104914.jpg 20210212_191146.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  3. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Micro Cube. Bought one years ago, foolishly sold it, bought another. Missed having the JC Clean amp model. They run a long time in batteries.

sleekpicker and jays0n like this.
  4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I have a Blackstar Super Fly street pack with extension. A bit more involved, but a nice setup. The amp has reverb and can support both a guitar and a mike for vocals. Runs on batteries, a rechargeable battery pack or AC.

Joshiquad, bsman and Texicaster like this.
  5. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Holic

Micro cube or Blackstar ID Core 10

Leonardocoate likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Someone just posted ( other thread) getting a used Cube 30- want one of those! ( 30 watts and a 10"- perfect!(

Cubes have always had good sounds and the control layout is very easy to understand and use

7. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Roland Micro Cube or Vox Mini5 Rhythm. Have both. Vox has that rhythm drum option that I like. Both sound great for what they are, they're reliable and can run on batteries. The Vox is my go to for portability.

Obsessed and howlin like this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

ZT? They look cool too.

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I think I've had my Micro Cube around 15 years. It still sounded good to me this morning.

jays0n and StevesBoogie like this.
  10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was pretty blown away by the humble VOX Pathfinder 10 combo. Really tiny, really light, really simple, really inexpensive and really good sounding.

DCCable and uriah1 like this.
  11. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I'm the first to recommend the Yamaha THR10? I have the first gen "C" model and when it dies I will immediately get another one. What a piece of gear.

I had the Fly3, it did not sound particularly good and it developed an internal short soon after I bought it. Would not recommend.

mfguitar, TCA117, patzer and 8 others like this.
  12. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I have a Vox Mini3 G2 that I like a lot. It was my first new amp when I got back into playing a few years ago after a long health related hiatus. The clean models are quite good. It has great Fender Twin and Bassman settings, plus Vox AC 15 and 30 models. The vintage Marshall model is good too. Once you get into the high gain models it gets fizzy sounding, but that's par for the course for these kinds of amps it seems.

Has a flat model for acoustic and a hyper clean Dumble model too, that's very useful. Mic input for vocals if you're busking.

The effects are actually pretty decent, and have a good sweep.

Runs on batteries or AC. Never tried the batteries. I just keep it plugged in under my work desk for quick access when I need a break.

For what it is it's a nice amp to have around.

bgmacaw likes this.
  13. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I agree 100%. I had one a sold and immediately regretted it. I'm on my second one and hopefully won't make the same mistake. :rolleyes:

jays0n and Nahtabot like this.
  14. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

^This, I have the newer model and it's great for night practice, or sitting on the porch (or jamming with a quiet drummer) or running your phones music through its Bluetooth.

DHart likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

There are a lot of them, depending on your budget and desired tones. Boss Katana Mini, Vox Mini 3 and 5, Pignose, Blackstar Fly, Yamaha THR series.

I went with a Vox Mini 3 because I liked having the extra inputs and compressor and reverb effects.

I've posted this short demo phone video of it before of me playing it in my car on my lunch break, but here it is again if you haven't heard it.

BradL, Lef T, pi and 1 other person like this.
  16. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

LOve my Blackstar Fly!

Had it over 2 years and SAME batteries! The cheap stock ones it came with! Bounces around my trailer and I find it every few weeks and rock out!

Sounds great and SMALL! Doesn't have that plastic tone most of these amps have.

Cheapest one too! AT least grab one even if you get one of the larger ones.

17. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

Only one I have experience with. Simple vey clean sound. I love it to mess around with pedals. 43844FA3-098D-4999-8244-674D00D2FE2F.jpeg

18. pi

pi Tele-Meister

this is what I use for my everyday practice amp when I don't want to fire up the tubes

hdvades likes this.
  19. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Living in Europe, I have the german version of Micro Cube, Harley Benton CG-10X. Sounds great for a small inexpensive amp.

But... if you already have a speaker (cab) you may want Marshall MS-2 that you can connect to external cab (speaker) and get that awesome Marshall sound!

Other options: Orange Micro Terror / Vox MV50. Both need a speaker...

bromdenlong likes this.
  20. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

Great little cab.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.