Recommend me a Gretsch

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ReggiedaDog, Aug 19, 2019.

1. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Hi, I have a spare bit of cash from summer gigs and been thinking about getting a used Gretsch to use with my band. My main guitar for my band (we label ourselves as ‘acoustic covers’ but in reality it is more ‘semi acoustic covers’’) lots of pop and soul covers. I sing and play mainly rhythm guitar so it will be open chord strumming with the odd solo.

Never really played a Gretsch but always fancied one. Looking at my budget it will be sub £700 ($800)

Bisgby is a must.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hiker likes this.
  2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Hollow or semi?

G5420/22T - Hollow
    G56xx - Semi

The electromatic line. Made in Korea. Quality is on point. Honestly im surprised on how well they are made. I had one but i needed to fund my move to another country. Been saving for another one since I got here.

I havent tried the Streamliner line (G2Xxx, Made in Indo) but a lot of peeps from Gretsch-talk have good things to say about it.

3. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Not really thought about hollow vs semi, as my 335 is a semi maybe hollow would give me a different sound.

4. juberstudent

juberstudent TDPRI Member

I have the semi. Really surprisingly good for the money. I also have the Chet Atkins “Hall of Fame” 6120. That’s a whole other thing, of course.

5. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

I have 3 Gretsch guitars. I love them!
    I’d start with a Gretsch 5420. It’s a mid-level guitar, built with care and quality.
    It’s also undeniably GRETSCH in every way.

Also, it’s a great guitar to mess with if you’re so inclined, swapping pickups, bridge etc.

My 5420t is now my number 1 go to instrument. I’ve overhauled it in almost every regard to my specifications.

Many would say modding is a waste because it’s fine as is, and they’d be correct!

However, most Gretsch guitars come stock with crappy bridges and nuts that need a little attention to make the bigsby work as best as it can.
    A proper set-up by a competent tech should get the job done.

Skydog1010 and GGardner like this.
  6. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

Also, another great model to consider if you’re just dipping your toes into the Gretsch world, are the newest Streamliner 2622T semi-hollows. They are amazing for the price.

Skydog1010 and dreamingtele like this.
  7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Im actually torn between saving up for a Pro-Line (6120 and up) or just get an Electromatic G5420T again (its that good) in a limited edition color instead. My dream is a white falcon, and when they did a limited run of white and gold G5420, i regretted buying mine as I wanted a poorman’s version of a Falcon. Lol.

But not that mine is not pretty. The Aspen Green is really something.

[​IMG]

stevemc, DHart, Deathray and 3 others like this.
  8. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I'm a big fan of the 5422 eletromatic. To me it's got a little more zing than the 5420 (which is awesome too) and I like the easier access to the higher frets.

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Gretsch Country Gentleman ( Chet Atkins model) - check the pickups out to suit yourself.

10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Well, having several of them in any category :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can say that :

ANY Gretsch is good
    ANY Gretsch has That Great Gretsch Sound
    ANY Gretsch is a Gretsch (no such Epi or Squier or Ltd or...)

So you have a large choice according to your budget !

Choose what you prefer : in a Gretsch, the look is as important as the tone - this one being always good !

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

24 track, Nubs, GibbyTwin and 4 others like this.
  11. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Do you want one that sounds like a Gretsch or do you want one that sounds like an imported guitar? It's a legit question.

I have an old 6120 ('57) and one of the pre FMIC Sparkle Jet models that despite the hatred, big headstock and stuff actually sounds a lot like a Gretsch guitar.

You could look for a Clipper or save a little more and probably get an Anniversary or you could get one of the new ones at Guitar Center. I'm sure they're made as well as an Epiphone and are pretty much identical to most of the other guitars coming out of whatever factory they're made in.

12. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Sweet collection dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Thanks @ReggiedaDog ! ;)

Have a look to Gretsch-Talk forum : http://www.gretsch-talk.com/

You'll find there much advices and answers... From Guys who knows what a Gretsch is, not like :

:lol::lol::lol:;)

-tbln

14. Johnkir64

Johnkir64 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I didn't know there was an 'imported guitar' sound. IME, when it comes to Gretsch, it's mostly the pickups, then it's the bracing/construction style and bridge type. The most important thing is looks, and Electros and SLs still beat an Epi anyday :)

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd recommend a G5422T. Just a hands down overall great guitar, good quality, and it has the hollowbody Gretsch sound. It will feed back at high volumes, like any true hollowbody would, so keep that in mind. I recommend the G5422T because of it's slimmer depth and Bigsby B60, which I find more sensitive and tuning stable than a tension bar Bigsby. The Blacktop Filtertrons are also nice, they have the Gretsch-tone well covered. Second to that look at the center blocked, two-pickup G5622T, but I see the B70 as a down side. They also have non-traditional pickups and stud mounted bridge (I generally like them floating on wood bases with a bar bridge--part of the sound), both something I don't care for in a Gretsch.

17. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Years ago, I bought an MIK Electromatic hollow body (5120) on an impulse. I had little choice: it was orange and the neck was really comfortable. I swapped out the bridge (and pinned it down) and pickups (TV Jones Classic in bridge and GFS P90 in neck). It is really fun to play and surprisingly indestructible. In addition to Gretsch-Talk (mentioned above), another great website is Gretschpages. Good luck. And welcome to the Gretsch rabbit hole.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  18. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I bought a G3140 when they were being cleared out after Fender bought Gretsch in 2003 or so. Mine does not have a bigsby, but many do. Used prices are well within your budget.
    MIK, semihollow, with Dearmond single coils. It's a simple guitar, yet can do many things from twang to British Invasion jangle to jazz.
    Mine has become my number one gigging guitar for lead and rhythm work. So much so, that it now could use some fret work!

19. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

5422T
    IMG_20190725_130926.jpg IMG_20180920_142854.jpg

BorderRadio likes this.
  20. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

What do all the numbers mean? Is there a system like Taylor guitars?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.