Recommend me a delay pedal.

J-Flanders

Tele-Meister
Memory man models have a sine wave modulation, the Memory Boy is either triangle or square wave.
Triangle is pretty cool and usable, square is definitely an acquired taste at lower modulation rates!
Memory Man's LFO is triangle. (vibrato fast, chorus slow)
Falstad sim: http://tinyurl.com/2p8ws93s
DMM-LFO.jpg

DFB1

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have a Wampler Ethereal on my board.
Nice pedal,but I am still learning how to dial it in.

I have a Donner Fall in my living room setup just to add a touch of delay on solo stuff.

52BIGSBY

Tele-Meister
Although not analogue I recommend the DD20 if you have room.
I have just replaced (not sold) mine with an Arion SAD1. I need little from a delay but what little it does I want it to do it right for me.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
The Memory Man pedals tend to have low headroom and won't always work in an effects loop. You may need to try it in your amp. A lot of people who use the old DMM put it first in their pedal chains and then into the front of the amp instead of the loop so it doesn't clip or get weird.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Hey all
I'm in the market for a delay pedal. I have a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Badlander 50 head and currently I'm using my old Line6 POD HD300 for my delay/modulation effects, in the effects loop of the said Badlander. I would like to replace the POD with a delay pedal, ideally all-analog. Judging by Youtube demos and reviews, it seems that what I want is a modern version of Deluxe Memory Man 550-TT. I'd go with 1100-TT but I don't need my delay times this long, and if I ever do, I'll either use my POD or buy another pedal. Also I'd like to stay within 300-ish CAD (~250USD)

Are there any other pedals I should be looking at? Way Huge Supa Puss and Ibanez ES-3 seem like they tick all the boxes, and they seem to be sounding close to the DMM.

Any problems I should be aware of? I've read that DMM may have overloading/headroom issues in certain cases (i'm still not clear what those cases are).

Tone-wise (not skill-wise lol), I'm looking to get kinda in the Eric Johnson/David Gilmour-ish on the lighter side (with a tele), up to Petrucci (with a 7-string Carvin with Petrucci's signature pickups).
For what I do IMHO there are 3 levels and categories of delay pedals I use:

1. For authentic old school tape delay sounds I like the T-Rex Replicator Tape Echo, it even has a tap tempo feature. It's 2 or 3 times the size of a regular boss type pedal, but I've used it on my bigger pedal board at gigs quite a bit. The delay times for each of the 2 heads are 125-600 ms and 250-1200 ms.

https://www.t-rex-effects.com/replicator

2. For an analog delay sound on a smaller convenient pedal board I like the Ibañez AD-9 Analog Delay. Shorter delay times, no tap tempo, but you can dial in the time fairly close by ear. Not made anymore, but easy to find used.

3. The 3rd type is Edge or Andy Summers type composed/arranged guitar parts with delay. To create delay generated notes that are as loud or almost as loud as the picked notes using rhythmic delay, I like the Boss DD-3T. It has tap tempo and you can set the delay for dotted eighths, quarter note triplets, or quarter notes.

T-Rex.jpg
IbañezAD9.jpg
BossDD3Pedo.jpg

Last edited:

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
EHX has their different takes on the DMM. I have the scaled down Memory Toy that, on the cheap, is utterly fantastic at getting those slightly brighter EHX repeats.

On the not so cheap but not $trymon dollars, the Earthquaker Avalanche Run looks interesting. I had a Maxon AD something or other at one point - it did what it did well but what it did wasn't my thing.

On the high end there are a pile of things that I haven't checked out because they are on the high end and while my tastes lean that way, my income is firmly pointing in the other direction.

To be honest, sometimes I really miss my DD-3 I bought in 1987. Being the fool I am, I gave it to my brother.

erratick

Tele-Holic
You mean DOD Rubberneck.

Killer delay but I like the Ibanez Echo Shifter a bit more,you can listen to them side by side here

Yup DOD, not boss. The Ibanez sounds nice too.

Ibanez case looks nice, but if that is real wood, I hate taking that kind of thing on the road. I was going to guess it was much more than the ole DOD Rubberneck, but the prices on the Rubberneck are on the rise.

They actually price out in the same ball park... or kinda similar now.

If prices keep trending, Strymon El Capistan might be a better buy. It's more, but it's no longer double like the Timeline.

ECC83

TDPRI Member
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm still inclined to buy the DMM 550TT, but I'm going to try some alternatives.

1. For authentic old school tape delay sounds I like the T-Rex Replicator Tape Echo, it even has a tap tempo feature. It's 2 or 3 times the size of a regular boss type pedal, but I've used it on my bigger pedal board at gigs quite a bit. The delay times for each of the 2 heads are 125-600 ms and 250-1200 ms.

Whoa, I've heard the name of this T-Rex, but I've never seen a picture of it. I now want one purely for it being a mechanical marvel, no matter how it sounds. What surprises me is that it's not that expensive, compared to DMM 1100TT, Strymon, Eventide.
Also, this reminded me of my old idea of making a delay out of an old cassette player.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Ibanez echo shifter is analog, but has digital control of tap tempo. The sound is nice but the format is odd. It is my current go-to delay.

ECC83

TDPRI Member
Ibanez echo shifter is analog, but has digital control of tap tempo. The sound is nice but the format is odd. It is my current go-to delay.

It's my #2, but ideally I'd like to play it against DMM 550TT to compare. ES3 does look like its repeats are brighter than other BBD delays, but it's unclear if its sound is on par with DMM.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm still inclined to buy the DMM 550TT, but I'm going to try some alternatives.

Whoa, I've heard the name of this T-Rex, but I've never seen a picture of it. I now want one purely for it being a mechanical marvel, no matter how it sounds. What surprises me is that it's not that expensive, compared to DMM 1100TT, Strymon, Eventide.
Also, this reminded me of my old idea of making a delay out of an old cassette player.
They sound great, complex and rich. Yes they were quite reasonably priced. I think I paid $529 or something like that. It came with 2 tape cartridges and I bought two more extra cartridges for $29 a pair just in case I need them later. The tape looks like it is the same thickness as what you would find in a cassette. Once the tape is worn, someone who's handy could splice and replace the old tape with tape from a cassette. Part of the charm of tape delay is when the tape starts getting worn and the fidelity decreases slightly.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Hey all
I'm in the market for a delay pedal. I have a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Badlander 50 head and currently I'm using my old Line6 POD HD300 for my delay/modulation effects, in the effects loop of the said Badlander. I would like to replace the POD with a delay pedal, ideally all-analog. Judging by Youtube demos and reviews, it seems that what I want is a modern version of Deluxe Memory Man 550-TT. I'd go with 1100-TT but I don't need my delay times this long, and if I ever do, I'll either use my POD or buy another pedal. Also I'd like to stay within 300-ish CAD (~250USD)

Are there any other pedals I should be looking at? Way Huge Supa Puss and Ibanez ES-3 seem like they tick all the boxes, and they seem to be sounding close to the DMM.

Any problems I should be aware of? I've read that DMM may have overloading/headroom issues in certain cases (i'm still not clear what those cases are).

Tone-wise (not skill-wise lol), I'm looking to get kinda in the Eric Johnson/David Gilmour-ish on the lighter side (with a tele), up to Petrucci (with a 7-string Carvin with Petrucci's signature pickups).

What's your price range?

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter

I see we share a strong preference for almost the identical tone. Eric Johnson followed closely by David Gilmour are my two favorites and John Petrucci falls within the next two or three. I would note that Eric's tone is based on the Echo Plex tape delay, David's on the Binson Echorec drum delay and John's sounds digital but I'm not sure in his case. It's just very precise and the delays don't seem to break up like analog or tape. Because of this I would skip analog delay options for John's delay sounds..

I can get Eric's Delay sounds from any of the following pedals ...

Empress Superdelay vintage modified version. I believe it's out of production now. https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Empress Super Delay Vintage Modified

Eventide TimeFactor Delay. (very compatible with Midi). https://reverb.com/p/eventide-timefactor-2010s-blue

Strymon El Capistan. https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=strymon El Capistan

Korg SDD-3000 Pedal. (Out of production and getting to be a rare find but it's the very best). https://reverb.com/p/korg-sdd-3000

I get David's delay sounds from the ....

Dawner Prince Electronics Boonar. https://reverb.com/marketplace?query= Boonar It's also recommended on You Tubes Gilmorish Channel.

Catalinbread Echorec. (A cheaper drum delay pedal type that, although not as well built / road worthy as the Boonar, is actually quite good at nailing many of David's signature delay sounds.) https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Catalinbread Echorec

For very high gain like John Petrucci uses I stick with my Korg SDD-3000. Because John's delay sound seems very "digital" to my ears I would think many cheaper good quality digital delays could pull it off. Boss or whatever.