Recommend me a delay pedal.

ECC83

TDPRI Member
Hey all
I'm in the market for a delay pedal. I have a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Badlander 50 head and currently I'm using my old Line6 POD HD300 for my delay/modulation effects, in the effects loop of the said Badlander. I would like to replace the POD with a delay pedal, ideally all-analog. Judging by Youtube demos and reviews, it seems that what I want is a modern version of Deluxe Memory Man 550-TT. I'd go with 1100-TT but I don't need my delay times this long, and if I ever do, I'll either use my POD or buy another pedal. Also I'd like to stay within 300-ish CAD (~250USD)

Are there any other pedals I should be looking at? Way Huge Supa Puss and Ibanez ES-3 seem like they tick all the boxes, and they seem to be sounding close to the DMM.

Any problems I should be aware of? I've read that DMM may have overloading/headroom issues in certain cases (i'm still not clear what those cases are).

Tone-wise (not skill-wise lol), I'm looking to get kinda in the Eric Johnson/David Gilmour-ish on the lighter side (with a tele), up to Petrucci (with a 7-string Carvin with Petrucci's signature pickups).

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
The Digitech Obscura is really cool. All digital but emulates various kinds of analog delays very well. It also allows you to dial in the degree to which the echoes "degrade" over the course of the repeats. Plus it looks cool as hell.

kygyzeyfucpcirlydr0y.jpg

There's a Reverb/PGS (I forget) demo video where Andy does some Gilmour, among other things.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Yikes, I was just looking at prices of used Keeley modded AD9s, which was the peddle everyone was telling me was delay nirvana, then I subsequently sold. Should have kept it as an investment since it just didn't do what I wanted it to do. Seemed to drop the signal anytime I engaged it and just sounded too degraded, tonal wise. I finally said screw it, bought a Carbon Copy and was surprised it was the one delay I got along with the best (after a minor tweak to the internal modulation pot).

basher

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The EHX Canyon has a really good DMM emulation plus a bunch of other modes, and insanely long delay times if you want them (like 1.5 seconds or some such).

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I'm a big fan of the ones that have a knob to simulate the kind of warbling or tone degradation you get from a genuine tape echo. Boxes like the Carbon Copy always sound a bit too pristine to me.

The Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail excels in this regard, and it has a separate out for the echoes so you can do cool things with them. (Send to a different amp, a different recording track, run through a different effect, etc...) $180 new.

Though it's not analog, the Line 6 Echo Park also sounds really excellent, and has enough settings to keep anyone happy playing with it for a while. It can model tape, analog, or digital delays. They're available used under $150. I only took it off my board because I was running battery-only for a while, and it has a rather high current draw.

Mark the Moose

Tele-Afflicted
Boss DD500 or DD200 seem to do everything. TC Flashback is good if you are exploring variety to see what you like. Then there are hundreds of delay pedals that do a few specific things very well.

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
I'm a big fan of the ones that have a knob to simulate the kind of warbling or tone degradation you get from a genuine tape echo. Boxes like the Carbon Copy always sound a bit too pristine to me.

The Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail excels in this regard, and it has a separate out for the echoes so you can do cool things with them. (Send to a different amp, a different recording track, run through a different effect, etc...) $180 new.

Though it's not analog, the Line 6 Echo Park also sounds really excellent, and has enough settings to keep anyone happy playing with it for a while. It can model tape, analog, or digital delays. They're available used under $150. I only took it off my board because I was running battery-only for a while, and it has a rather high current draw.
The Keeley Mag Echo does that cool tape warble too, its worth a look.

erratick

Tele-Holic
Big fan of the Boss Rubberneck for analog delay. Tap tempo, you can choose how clean the echoes are or warbled.

Pretty reasonable.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I just got El Capistan based on my own trials and also based on posting a similar thread to this a couple months ago. I love it. But it costs more than some. I looked really hard at the Volante for $100 more but decided I didn't want the extra features for the extra effort and size.

I have and use a Wampler Ethereal which I also love for its simplicity.
I have a Demedash T-120 which is more of a niche product, very cool for a few applications, it emulates VHS tape so it is super cool, familiar, and not something that fills every hole.
I also have a Source Collider but again, if you want easy that is not it. It's amazing but you need to invest time to learn it and the app. Would highly recommend Source to anyone willing to dive into that world.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Hey all
I'm in the market for a delay pedal. I have a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Badlander 50 head and currently I'm using my old Line6 POD HD300 for my delay/modulation effects, in the effects loop of the said Badlander. I would like to replace the POD with a delay pedal, ideally all-analog. Judging by Youtube demos and reviews, it seems that what I want is a modern version of Deluxe Memory Man 550-TT. I'd go with 1100-TT but I don't need my delay times this long, and if I ever do, I'll either use my POD or buy another pedal. Also I'd like to stay within 300-ish CAD (~250USD)

Are there any other pedals I should be looking at? Way Huge Supa Puss and Ibanez ES-3 seem like they tick all the boxes, and they seem to be sounding close to the DMM.

Any problems I should be aware of? I've read that DMM may have overloading/headroom issues in certain cases (i'm still not clear what those cases are).

Tone-wise (not skill-wise lol), I'm looking to get kinda in the Eric Johnson/David Gilmour-ish on the lighter side (with a tele), up to Petrucci (with a 7-string Carvin with Petrucci's signature pickups).

I'm happy with my Belle Epoch Deluxe. Just know that to get full 100% out of the thing, an expression pedal is a great idea.

Here's the spew from CB

Edit: I suppose I can just add the link.
https://catalinbread.com/products/belle-epoch-deluxe

beninma

Friend of Leo's
Get the DMM-550TT since you mentioned you wanted it. The Memory man is as classic as it gets and the build quality on the TT models is solid, better than cheaper EHX pedals from what I've seen.

The TT models are phenomenal delays with a lot of tricks. The DMB/DMM-550TT/DMM-1100TT are also easy to use. The big negative right now is the price has really gone up compared to a few years ago.

The 1100-TT is not necessarily just about the longer delay times but also that the delay is cleaner at a given setting due to having more chips.

Set a 350ms delay on the 550TT and the 1100TT and the 1100 will just sound cleaner and more hi-fi. The 550TT is probably more vintage correct. I have an 1100-TT and I rarely use it above 550ms FWIW.

If you want darker still, get the Deluxe Memory Boy. I think the Memory Boys actually sound really cool as well, but they have a different style of modulation.

Memory man models have a sine wave modulation, the Memory Boy is either triangle or square wave. Triangle is pretty cool and usable, square is definitely an acquired taste at lower modulation rates!

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I sort of flipped to echo instead of delay for my needs. I don’t do rockabilly or u2

Attachments

• EEE24119-04BB-4153-9D6B-FAD8B509811F.jpeg
    EEE24119-04BB-4153-9D6B-FAD8B509811F.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 48

jman72

Friend of Leo's
Any of the Boss DD-X delays are great. I have a DD-6, and I love it. I have a Carbon Copy as well, but it just doesn't work for me (too dark for my tastes).

doghouseman

Tele-Holic
000000113936226-00-1200x1200.jpg
if you want a cheap analog delay the BBE Two Timer is GREAT. I think it will do the short delay you are looking for. Not lots of controls, but it sounds great for the price.