Recommend me a crappy keyboard

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RollingBender, Oct 13, 2021.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

My latest band is starting to take off!!!

We are a bit older than most “dad bands” but not too old to have a bunch of fun. We didn’t plan it this way but it has become that our shtick is… a lot of shtick. The song list is heavy on yacht rock and vocal group rock from the 70’s. Three piece band, guitar, bass, drums… everyone also sings and plays the kazoo. Many pieces of technology are involved in our shows including vocal harmony pedals, acoustic simulator, organ Guitar pedal and electronic drum sequencers.

I would like to add keyboard on a few tunes. I have a good collection of vintage keyboards including a chopped M3 w/Leslie cabinet, a Korg M1, an Ensoniq SQ2, and an Alesis QS8.1 but all of those are too large and heavy for what I want to do.

I would like the keyboard to be a part of the shtick so I am thinking something quite small, mini keys even, looks of a toy would be a plus but I would like it to at least have a decent piano and rock organ sound.

Anyone know of such a “gem”?

2. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: That's awesome man!!! I've always loved the sound of these babies. As for an option, and I wouldn't call it crappy by any stretch, but if what you mean is "cheap in cost" you might consider a Korg Kronos. Very nice keyboard, light, powerful, and tons of sounds. My wife has the 88 weighted key version and it weighs a total of 27 lbs I think. Very portable and can be had on the used market for about 500 bucks. I'm sure the 64 key non-weighted versions etc. are less than that. Give em a look see ;)

EDIT: Oops... I guess I missed that part that you're looking for a "toy" type keyboard. Hard for me to get that notion but... okie dokie ;) Sorry, I have no exp in micro keyboards but good luck man!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  3. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

A keytar seems like the obvious answer here; nothing schtick-ier than that.

4. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

Yamaha Reface YC. Zero crappiness though . . . . .

upload_2021-10-13_22-6-7.jpeg

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Melodica:
    And yes, I have one. No campy surf band should be without one. Just sayin’
    B0631AEE-1A9E-44F2-925A-568AB32A4F55.jpeg

getbent, Greg70, craigs63 and 8 others like this.
  6. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Yamaha PSS-270.

I'm half-tempted to offer to sell you mine, but watching the video again makes me want to hang onto it. There's one on Reverb for $100.

Guitarteach and telemnemonics like this.
  7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

sounds like you need a pianosaurus

pianosaurus-8379d818-dd25-4142-8b22-dee96c956af-resize-750.jpg

tintag27, ponce, Maguchi and 7 others like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Casio, Casio, Yamaha, Casio

Did I forget anything?

northernguitar and Maguchi like this.
  9. telemnemonics

Pretty sure those are valuable collectors items now?

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  10. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

You can still buy them brand new. Roland makes a full-on synth and Alesis makes one that's a controller only.

Maguchi likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

Well then that's a top pick for cheesy schtick!

12. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

SneakyPup and Nahtabot like this.
  13. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

guitar_paul1, Greg70, AAT65 and 4 others like this.
  14. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

This. Only 2 of them. Maybe stick a piezo on and run the left hand one thru an octave pedal.

Obsessed likes this.
  15. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Got a good condition yamaha cx1 for $200 the other day for exactly then same use.

16. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

This would be the worst keyboard in existence ...

[​IMG]

... but I know that's not what you meant. ;)

To your actual question... I would suggest any tiny keyboard really so long as it has a MIDI-out.
    That way you can plug it into any high quality sound module or other keyboard with a MIDI-in to get the piano sound you want.
    It's much easier to get a tiny keyboard with MIDI-out than to find one with a decent piano sound!

What's that? You want an actual keyboard recommendation? I hadn't done that yet? Dang... nothing gets past you, does it...

Welp... this thing should tick many of your boxes... tiny keys, looks like a toy, schtick as phuqe, and it has a MIDI-out...
    I give you... the Yamaha SHS-10 (make sure you get the red one):

[​IMG]

CAVEAT EMPTOR: While it has MIDI-out as stated, the keys are not dynamic. So, the MIDI piano might sound a bit lifeless anyway.
    But... you're not gonna be playing the Moonlight Sonata on that thing anyway. :)

EDIT: Oooh.. ooh... and the demo song is Last Christmas! Instant Whamageddon!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    uriah1, Nahtabot and bgmacaw like this.
  17. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Casio SA 40, sounds surprisingly decent, is definately a toy, has a headphone out that can be put into a mixing board etc, might need a boost but it does get the job done.

It's what I used for demo keys before I picked up an even cheaper midi keyboard.

Nahtabot likes this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I like the keytar idea since it fits the yacht rock concept so well.

Skyhook likes this.
  19. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Afflicted

I've got a Roland VR09 that I picked up as a do it all keyboard for home studio.
    Has decent organ sound (with drawbars and built in Leslie type speaker effect that's actually quite good), piano sound is very good, though doesn't have weighted action keys.
    The VR09 has a big brother, the VR730 that does have weighted action/waterfall type keys (more like Hammond keys).
    VR09 is 61 note, 730 is 73 keys.

20. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I'm a huge fan of the Microkorg XL. I used to tour with one, just set up on a stand to one side for occasional intros and things where a keyboard helped fill in bits and pieces. It has a few vintage keys patches in there from the factory but I've also written a dirty Wurlitzer 200 patch and a few organ patches for mine that sounds pretty convincing in a mix, and even a decent harmonium. It's tiny, lightweight plastic shell, mini keys, does look a bit toylike but it's a powerful keyboard.

Ideally it benefits from using the dedicated app to write voices as if you want to explore outside the presets it gets a bit complicated menu diving on the keyboard itself, but it's easy enough to navigate on screen. You could easily make do with the presets as well.

There's the original Microkorg as well, but that's quirkier and more techno/dance-oriented synth stuff - the XL is a much more versatile general purpose keyboard.

Jowes_84 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.