Recommend me a bright 12" speaker?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by beyer160, Sep 27, 2019.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya. Weber mentioned above and basic C12n. Scuminco brighter too

beyer160 likes this.
  2. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I would recommend the old Fender lightning bolt speaker. Cheap as chips and bright. People probably sell them for chump change.

beyer160 likes this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

So, unexpected followup...

After considering the advice in this thread (thanks again to everyone who responded), I've been stalking used speakers on CL and Reverb. I've also been looking for a 2x12 cabinet to use with my Traynor, and a couple days ago an old Carvin V212 popped up for $80. It's a vertical 212 with slanted top, covered in rat fur. It's kinda ugly... but also $80. I need it to be 8 ohms to work with the Traynor (I'll be getting a pair of 16 ohm Private Jacks for that), and this cab is switchable between 4 and 16- that means the stock speakers are 8 ohm. It had the old 100 watt Carvin British speakers- which some say are pretty good. So on a whim, I put them in the Ampeg to see what's what. Honestly I'd have bought the thing empty for $80, the speakers were a bonus so I wasn't expecting much.

They sound great! The Texas Heat/Swamp Thang combo I had in there was dull and muddy sounding, with the Carvins the amp came alive! It's not Fender Twin bright, but now the amp has an upper midrange crunch that it didn't have before. The Carvins are a lot less sensitive than the TH/Thang, so I could crank the amp up higher than I'd ever gone before to get some dirt without blowing my head off. They're kinda thin on the bottom (it's an open back amp, though), but a twist of the bass knob takes care of that if I want it.

It sounds much more "British" now (duh), and I'm having more fun with it than ever. This isn't the sound I expected from this amp, but I'm digging it so far.

4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

well all I can add, knowing the VT22 is: try something with Neo magnets! That is just about the heaviest amp I ever had to move.

5. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Yes those old Carvin British Series 100 watt Eminence sound great.

6. LightningPhil

LightningPhil TDPRI Member

Celestion blues are nice and bright. Bit expensive though.

You have a ceramic speaker in there already. Perhaps try a backing magnet. It will add a little sensitivity and roll off the bass slightly. Does this by increasing the BL product and thus reducing the electrical dampening factor Qes (which, to avoid confusion, means more dampening) a bit.

To do this, stick a massive magnet on the back of the motor assembly such that it is being repelled as you approach it. This concentrates the field in the motor assembly by pushing some of the field that was leaking out the back, back in. Big magnets are not too expensive and the effect can be quite noticeable. For fun and to compare, turn the magnet around to make the speaker a little warmer and less sensitive.

Or, for even less money, add a 1 or 2.2 uf capacitor across the input valve’s cathode resistor for noticeably more treble gain.

7. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I would suggest you keep an eye out for an Altec 417. I have a 15" 418 in my 66 Ampeg Gemini II and it is the perfect speaker for this amp. I allows the thick Ampeg tone but offers a clear top end with plenty of punch and presence. I have a pair of 12" 417's in a cab I play my 64 Fender Tremolux and my Mesa TA-15 through and both sound great with these speakers. Great Plaines Audio has a reissue of these speakers but they are not hard to find if you shop around. I found great deals on the pair of 12 and 15 on C/L. I tried several different speakers in my Gemini including JBL, Jensen, EVM and others and have stayed with the Altec.
    Thanks John

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.