1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Recommend Echo in the Canyon documentary on Netflix!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by EugeneWeemich, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Errr... Andrew Slater?

2. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

History shows that it goes both ways.

Maybe if Stills had performed better at his audition to be in the Monkees it would have been Crosby, Tork, Nash, and Young.

bgmacaw, mrbdxmpl and JuneauMike like this.
  3. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

Not so much the interviews that were too much Jakob, but more when they played the music. It seemed to me that these music greats were pressed into being his backing bands.

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yup. As much as I love documentaries (and really anything to do with the Laurel Canyon scene), it was a bit fluffy for my taste. It seems like the thing now, though. That recent ZZ Top documentary? Geez.

Not that I need to hear all the celebrity dirt. It's just that celebrities are humans. The humble super star arch gets old real quick.

As for Jakob Dylan, I feel similarly. He had better have been joking with Norah Jones about not recognizing the Rat Pack. Because... wow. Given the fluffy style, though, I assume it would have been edited out had it been real. And if it was just a jab at the old school crooners for hating on his dad, then even more dumb.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    EugeneWeemich and CCK1 like this.
  5. Whatizitman

Elvis Costello? That dude knows his music history. And is universally loved. I can't imagine any singer/songwriter saying no to him.

mrbdxmpl and jondanger like this.
  6. Whatizitman

And why Beck? Just seemed.... arbitrary. Glad he was available(?)

7. kranz

kranz Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I found it interesting and worth watching.

My favorite moment was when Crosby revealed the real reason he was kicked out of the Byrds.

8. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

I liked it! This was a lot of the music from my formative years, a nice trip down memory lane.

MickM likes this.
  9. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

Exactly my problem with the movie - I grew up driving back and forth through Laurel Canyon with my mom when I was just a toddler and I think I inhaled just enough to permanently bend me. It was an incredible time and place. But this struck me as Jakob Dylan and his manager coming up with a movie concept to boost his career - watching his band slog through the material, or Beck's weird, glassy stare and the rest of those musicians who looked like they were reading their enthusiasm off of cue cards was a little much. The best part was when Tom Petty asked if they wanted him to finish the song, and then told them they couldn't afford it!

10. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

Exactly. That was the problem...this was Andrew Slater trying to buoy his client's stagnant career. I can't believe that guy managed Warren Zevon. Truly not worthy.

11. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I loved the film, and I really liked the concert footage from when Jacob had Fiona Apple and others cover some of those songs. It really gave me an appreciation for the melodies/harmonies of Mamas & Papas songs, which I had viewed as silly back when they were current and i was in high school. I also think Jacob is a very talented man. I saw the Wallflowers in concert (opening for the Rolling Stones) and both the songwriting and the musicanship were great.

MickM and JuneauMike like this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

It was okay...just.

13. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

Yeah, too much Jacob, but the rest of the film about the music and musicians is interesting to people of a certain age, like me... There was another two part film called Laurel Canyon that I liked as well. I just like the music and the memories of the times.

14. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Holic

Jakob Dylan is just an awful interviewer. How hard can it be, really? A musician interviewing other musicians he presumably admires. It reminded me of Chevy Chase’s late night talk show—dating myself I know. He, too, seemed incapable of asking interesting follow up questions or in having a simple, genuine conversation. Add to that, the editing of Dylan’s interviews leaves in lots of awkwardness. If we could see the raw footage (hey, there’s an idea!) it would be comically bad, I suspect. OR Dylan is just really high on something!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I enjoyed it, more or less. I like some of Stephen Stills' music but I find most CSNY to be pretentious for the most part.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.